147 replies to this topic

#61 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

What do I need to do to get GalCiv 2 to run? I installed it just fine, but when I try to run the game it quickly flashes a white box at me and then quits.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#62 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

View PostJanichsan, on October 30th 2008, 03:56 AM, said:

You are dreaming. ;) There still are glitches, but the game is playable.

Fable doesn't run at all. Buy the Feral port! I command you!!

I get no Glitches at all in Morrowind, and I'm running it modded to the hilt.  I say it works perfectly, albeit slightly slower.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#63 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

I'm trying to get Civ4 Colonization to run.  It installed fine, but a CD check issue is mucking up the process.  Why can't it see the CD?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#64 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

First, my Test System: Late-2006 MacBook Pro (10.5.5, 128 MB VRAM ATi Radeon Mobility X1600)

I tried getting Half Life to run but apparently the chap who sold it to the used games store forgot to unregister it from his Steam account. Sigh. I can now apparently buy games in Steam but I keep on getting timeout errors when it tries to actually make the transaction. Go figure.

I tried instead Painkiller (a $10 used copy of the original 3-CD version), and much to my surprise it installed, and plays, without a hitch - mostly. You have to download about ~500 MB worth of patches (1.6.1, 1.6.2 and 1.6.4), because according to its CW compatibility page, it needs to be patched to the latest version for it to launch. My Mac insisted the updaters were self-expanding archives so I set them to be opened by CrossOver and removed the .exe from their names. When running it with the graphics settings turned down, I got a lot of graphical glitches with the textures, but for the most part they got cleared up when you really crank up the settings.

Most of my graphical problems were cleared up when I set all of the graphics settings to high with all of the eye candy turned on, and performance was still very smooth and quite playable. I still notice the occasional graphics glitch on the various Hell-spawn but I was too busy gleefully mowing them down with my Rotating Spinning Death-Fan of Awesomeness to notice.

PS: This game does need the CD in the drive to play, but this hasn't caused me any problems yet.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#65 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

Please just edit to something more appropriate.

[Edit - OK - tBC]

#66 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

View PostPegasus, on November 2nd 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

What do I need to do to get GalCiv 2 to run? I installed it just fine, but when I try to run the game it quickly flashes a white box at me and then quits.
Try re-installing it in a Win98 bottle. It works for me that way, though I have to play it in a window or else it crashes when I start a game.

#67 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

Unfortunately, the new activation scheme that Stardock has adopted, along with their new Impulse download software which won't run in Crossover (it requires .NET, which isn't supported yet, but will be soon) is incompatible with Crossover.  Which means that, while GalCiv 2 itself is technically still compatible, you cannot activate it unless you did so before the switch.  Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version of Crossover.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#68 ifab

ifab

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

Arx Fatalis Is working under CrossOver Games 7.1.1 by using 16 bit color depth when starting the game. With 32 bit it freezes / gets stuck at the title menu. Problem now is, that graphics turn upside down, when the mouse is over text and mouse is still awfully slow in menus. I tried to install DirectX 9 from the CD to correct the problem with the horizontal mirroring. But no change. The rest works well.

#69 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Wings over Europe: When you install a recent DirectX 9 patch or at least a specific .dll manually and check "Emulate Virtual Desktop" in the winecfg control panel of the game's bottle, the game actually runs rather smooth and without glitches. However, due to the lack of joystick support in CrossOver, you'll have to steer you plane with the keyboard (which works better in this game than in Il-2, for instance). But there's one deal breaker: when you finish the mission, the debriefing screen is not drawn properly, making it impossible to return to the main screen or jump to the next mission. So close and yet so far... *sigh*

In Parallels 4 on the other hand, WoE runs perfectly well without any glitches and working joystick support, just as Il-2 does.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#70 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

I've now installed Orange Box and everything works flawlessly. Even copied over my SAVE game folders from my Windows partition for HL2 and Portal and they work fine. Nice playing Team Fortress 2 without having to boot into Windows.

I know Guild Wars runs fine ... but does anyone know about either Titan Quest or Company of Heroes? (the original one)

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#71 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Just finished after picking it up last week for 10€: Sam & Max Season 1. Runs just plain perfectly. No glitches, no problems with the copy protection (it seems that budget DVD version has none). Only minor problem I ran into is that the autolaunch application that is used for installation and selecting the episodes only shows a non-functional square grey window. You have to select the installer on the disc and the game applications manually. But that's really everything.

(Interestingly, Max has the voice of Bart Simpson in the german version of the games.)

Based on this, I would assume that due to the identical engine other Telltale games like Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Bone and the upcoming Wallace and Gromit episodes also work in COG.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#72 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

View PostJanichsan, on February 20th 2009, 10:23 PM, said:

Just finished after picking it up last week for 10€: Sam & Max Season 1. Runs just plain perfectly. No glitches, no problems with the copy protection (it seems that budget DVD version has none). Only minor problem I ran into is that the autolaunch application that is used for installation and selecting the episodes only shows a non-functional square grey window. You have to select the installer on the disc and the game applications manually. But that's really everything.

(Interestingly, Max has the voice of Bart Simpson in the german version of the games.)

Based on this, I would assume that due to the identical engine other Telltale games like Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Bone and the upcoming Wallace and Gromit episodes also work in COG.

That's great to hear. Which version did you buy exactly: Koch Media / Softwarepyramide in a jewel case?
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#73 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:14 AM

View PostJan, on February 24th 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

That's great to hear. Which version did you buy exactly: Koch Media / Softwarepyramide in a jewel case?
The latter one.

#74 ifab

ifab

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:08 AM

View Postdojoboy, on November 3rd 2008, 06:56 PM, said:

I'm trying to get Civ4 Colonization to run.  It installed fine, but a CD check issue is mucking up the process.  Why can't it see the CD?

Haven't tried to get that one running. But Civ4 runs well enough. As I understand it, some (if not all) CD checks wont work with crossover. So just try to find a patch.

#75 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

Secret Files: Tunguska is running perfectly. I've tried the version off of the "Game Star" DVD, a German PC magazine.
These magazine DVD doesn't seem to have any copy-protection. Enjoy. :)
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#76 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

Anyone know if the CoG 7.2 upgrade messes up the 7.1.1 (free) install? They handed out 7.1.1 to entice us but will the 7.2 be a paid upgrade? Macupdate.com had a link to 7.2 but the download says demo ... are we expected to pay now? Or will the 7.2 simply update the existing one?

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#77 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

You download the "demo" but you click on register then put in your account details and it becomes the full version.
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#78 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on February 28th 2009, 04:50 AM, said:

Anyone know if the CoG 7.2 upgrade messes up the 7.1.1 (free) install? They handed out 7.1.1 to entice us but will the 7.2 be a paid upgrade? Macupdate.com had a link to 7.2 but the download says demo ... are we expected to pay now? Or will the 7.2 simply update the existing one?
Go to your Codeweavers account page (you should have got access when you registered for the free version) and check under "My Downloads". As long as your account is valid (as far as I remember, that's one year in any case – no matter whether you have the giveaway or paid for it), you'll see the updates that you are entitled to there.

#79 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Yup, that worked just fine.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#80 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

orangebox
install = fine
run = every game freezes afzer a view minutes of playing time (malloc failure)

coldfear
install = fine
run = runs but is a bit too slow

Rune
install = fine
run = extremly good, i would say it runs perfect

RTCW
install = fine
run = very well

i know that there is a mac port for rtcw, but crossover runs the game far better than rosetta.

Doc
 iMac 2.93C2D ATI-4850 4GB 640GB BT AP SD
 MacbookPro 2.4C2D 9600GT 4GB 250GB BT AP SD
 iPod Video 30GB - Airport Extreme - Synology 406 1.6TB@Raid5