Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

A new crossover came out recently... Crossover XI... Crossover Games is no longer a separate entity it's just Crossover XI for everyone.  WINEskin has the new Crossover XI engine available to download too. Also WINEHQ's WINE has lef beta\RC stages and is now just 1.4 and is available now in WINEskin. I need to do some tests with games. For the few games I've been running in it (in RC stages I haven't tested the new "stable release yet") it's been fine but it's been having mouse issues with Clive Barker's Jericho which I've been having to turn off mouse warp override to partially fix.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#122 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 07 March 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

A new crossover came out recently... Crossover XI... Crossover Games is no longer a separate entity it's just Crossover XI for everyone.  WINEskin has the new Crossover XI engine available to download too. Also WINEHQ's WINE has lef beta\RC stages and is now just 1.4 and is available now in WINEskin. I need to do some tests with games. For the few games I've been running in it (in RC stages I haven't tested the new "stable release yet") it's been fine but it's been having mouse issues with Clive Barker's Jericho which I've been having to turn off mouse warp override to partially fix.

Bump.

I wanted to add that WINE 1.4 has been a real revelation for me in terms of getting Windows games to work on OS X. Games which were previously unplayable like Fallout and Fallout 2 both work, as do other previously unplayable games like Shogo: MAD and Blood 2. Caesar III used to be able to be run only in an 800 x 600 virtual desktop (or else it would freak out and crash hard); now, you can play it at 1024 x 768 at full screen. And Giants: Citizen Kabuto now works at resolutions beyond the 800 x 600 default (previously it would also freak out and crash hard). Wineskin may be free (and it's an excellent distribution of WINE) but I'd still like to suggest people look into CrossOver, as way of further supporting the WINE developers and the hard work that they do.

WINE is now up to the 1.5.x series (it's at 1.5.3, I think) and under WINE 1.5 I've gotten Thief and Thief 2 to run in Wineskin; sometime I'll later I'll see if I can get Descent 3 or System Shock 2 working.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#123 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Decided to try CrossOver's 14 day trial. So far, not so good.

Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament both FREAK OUT if I try to run in full screen, and have horrendous framerates in a window. Fallout 1 & 2 also freak the hell out full screen, and have weird mouselag in a window. Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret have problems too. :/

Have had a bit better luck with wineskin ports from Porting Team... but so far, Parallels 7 in coherence or full screen demolishes both in compatibility and performance. Guess I'll be sticking with that for now even though an OSX app would sure be preferable.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#124 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yes I found that, too XCG just does not cut it for games and I tried to like it for 3 years. Either Bootcamp or Parallels.
Honestly before burning $60 for XCG better buy Windows 7.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#125 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sorry you've had bad luck but that experience is hardly representative of WINE or Crossover as a whole. I've had the reverse experience where they have demolished the performance of virtualization here. I've also never had Unreal Tournament or Unreal Gold ever freak out in full screen using wineskin for example.

What's XCG? No, don't spend $60 on Crossover Games, you can use the engines in Wineskin for free. :P
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#126 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostFrost, on 16 September 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament both FREAK OUT if I try to run in full screen, and have horrendous framerates in a window.

I haven't tried Unreal itself, but I played Deus Ex, which uses the Unreal engine, a few months ago and it ran flawlessly.  Usually it's a good idea to go to Manage Bottle, then the Control Panel tab, then run Wine Configuration. Then find and add the relevant executable, go to the graphics tab, and uncheck "allow the window manager to decorate the windows" and "allow the window manager to control the windows".  I wish those were unchecked by default, since I frequently end up having to do that.  If that doesn't do it, try reading the compatibility pages on the Crossover site for tips about registry settings.

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 16 September 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

What's XCG? No, don't spend $60 on Crossover Games, you can use the engines in Wineskin for free. :P

Some of the money goes to WINE development in general, though, so don't be a cheapskate.  :juggle:  Plus I generally prefer the way Crossover works, although I have used Wineskin a few times where the engine in Crossover wouldn't quite work right.

--Eric

#127 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

I prefer the way wineskin works because the way it works it's like your games get sandboxed from each other. I've had software I've installed into crossover hose the entire installation until I deleted the bottles. It's not just about not wanting to spend the money on Crossover as it is not liking the way it works for me. I just don't like having all my wrapped games running under one umbrella like that due to stuff like that happening.Truth be told though if all games had native robust ports I wouldn't use WINE at all.

Also, with Unreal you can't just install it and run it you have to get the patches, such as the unofficial Old Unreal patches. Also, updated renderers are available and again I highly recommend those. Even for Deus Ex.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#128 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

Actually sharing the same "drive" is the reason I prefer it, since it's more convenient for some settings (and space usage), and I've never had any problems with it getting hosed.  But if I did, I'd just use Time Machine to restore the bottle to the most recent usable state.

--Eric

#129 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

To each their own I suppose. :P For me there's just not enough space advantage or any other advantage to warrant switching everything over to that at this point. Besides, the latest versions of Crossover WINE engines started inheriting issues with monolith games that mainstream WINE builds did with translucency in the weapons. So I need to keep those sequestered in their own sandbox with pre CX11 versions of the Crossover WINE engines. For me wineskin suits that purpose perfectly.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#130 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

View PostFrost, on 16 September 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Decided to try CrossOver's 14 day trial. So far, not so good.

Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament both FREAK OUT if I try to run in full screen, and have horrendous framerates in a window. Fallout 1 & 2 also freak the hell out full screen, and have weird mouselag in a window. Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret have problems too. :/

Have had a bit better luck with wineskin ports from Porting Team... but so far, Parallels 7 in coherence or full screen demolishes both in compatibility and performance. Guess I'll be sticking with that for now even though an OSX app would sure be preferable.
Yeah, CrossOver unfortunately inherited several regressions more recent versions of Wine introduced for Mac, including the mouse problems and partly worse performance.

Which is why have begun to migrate many of the games I had installed with CrossOver to separate WineSkin wrappers (more often than not, simply copying the drive_c folder and the reg files to the WineSkin wrapper works well). That way, I can have the games running with versions of Wine or the CrossOver engines that are most suitable for them. Fallout 1 and UT '99 are two of the games which I migrated.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#131 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 17 September 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

Yeah, CrossOver unfortunately inherited several regressions more recent versions of Wine introduced for Mac, including the mouse problems and partly worse performance.

Which is why have begun to migrate many of the games I had installed with CrossOver to separate WineSkin wrappers (more often than not, simply copying the drive_c folder and the reg files to the WineSkin wrapper works well). That way, I can have the games running with versions of Wine or the CrossOver engines that are most suitable for them. Fallout 1 and UT '99 are two of the games which I migrated.

There is, unfortunately, a major bug with running many games in WINE (be it Wineskin or CrossOver) on Lion; unfortunately, a lot of the games I covered in my Crossing Over series (which isn't dead!) simply break in Lion. The common symptom is massive screen corruption with redrawing errors, with audio still largely working. In some cases, (like Battle Realms) the in-game menus and screen will only partially render correctly, with the rest being just garbled static. In some cases, setting ddr=gdi in the registry using regedit *may* solve the problem. Usually, the problems are cleared up when running the game with WINE set to use a virtual desktop. It's not ideal, but your games will work. Codeweavers knows it's a major problem, and it's one of the bugs they're working on right now. I think it has something to do with some fundamental changes that Lion introduced in its implementation of OpenGL which essentially is at the root of the problem. I've been working on a comprehensive review and discussion of Wineskin for running Windows games in OS X through WINE, but from my write-up, I do have one other suggestion that's helped in part to resolve problems with some games: in Wineskin, there's an option for the version of WINE used within a Wineskin wrapper to use your system's external installation of X11 (which I have installed as Xquartz) for window drawing, as opposed to the Wineskin wrapper's own built-in X11 server. This has worked to get Fallout, Fallout 2, and Divine Divinity working on my Mac in Lion.

As for mouse acceleration issues, yes, I did observe some issues in CrossOver, but a lot of them seemed to have been ironed out with the CX11 release; both Unreal and UT99 work well on my current system with CX11.2.2 (YMMV of course). One thing to try would be to use a Wineskin wrapper set to use your system's X11 install, as I suggested above.

With respect to performance, I haven't really noticed much of a change from CX10.x to CX11.x (YMMV, again); most of the changes were in compatibility (like Shogo: MAD working in CX11 vs. CX10). From what I've understood, CrossOver is a fork of the stable WINE 1.4.x codebase, while currently WINE has moved to the unstable 1.5.x series. That doesn't preclude of course elements from 1.5.x being patched into the CrossOver codebase, but again, from what I understand, if there have been any regressions or issues in CrossOver, they'd most likely not be coming from the latest versions of WINE.

Anyway, that being said, Retro City Rampage works perfectly in CrossOver 11.2.2 on my GMA 950 MacBook running 10.6.8 - I did have to run it in a virtual desktop and turn off some fancy effects to keep the frame rate up, but it does work in full screen and with all of the "fancy" retro effects turned on. Later tonight I'll install it on my MacBook Air running 10.7.5 to see how it does; I'm pretty sure it'll work. Just the same, if you have the opportunity to pick up RCR, do so; it's one of the most entertaining and hilarious games I've played this year.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#132 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

View Postrampancy, on 10 October 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Usually, the problems are cleared up when running the game with WINE set to use a virtual desktop. It's not ideal, but your games will work.
thats actually not a new issue.. theres been many games that will only run right in a virtual desktop.  This is why I have the Override->Fullscreen option in Wineskin.  It runs X11 in a fullscreen mode, but it runs Wine in a virtual desktop, faked out so it appears to be fullscreen.  It looks like a fullscreen to you, but the games will work.

View Postrampancy, on 10 October 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

I've been working on a comprehensive review and discussion of Wineskin for running Windows games in OS X through WINE, but from my write-up, I do have one other suggestion that's helped in part to resolve problems with some games: in Wineskin, there's an option for the version of WINE used within a Wineskin wrapper to use your system's external installation of X11 (which I have installed as Xquartz) for window drawing, as opposed to the Wineskin wrapper's own built-in X11 server. This has worked to get Fallout, Fallout 2, and Divine Divinity working on my Mac in Lion.
I've had some problems with WineskinX11 in the past... heck I had to learn what X11 even was to start using it  :-P  The current version is quite good though... its very very close to whats in XQuartz 2.7.4... really shouldn't be any major issues with it anymore (for now).  I put in the option to be able to use XQuartz mainly just in case a major problem ever crept up and I didn't have a fix out yet and XQuartz did... or for any other unknown reason an issue might creep up.  Some people seem to like using it for everything to get around "problems" that they seem to have that I can never reproduce... its hard to fix issues when it always works right for me.

#133 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

I never had to use a system installed XQuartz here myself and the included one in winekskin mostly always worked right for me too... except for of course that short period which it didn't work with 10.8.2 and was quickly patched.

Also I've hardly had to use a virtual desktop for any of my games except FEAR3 which does not want to run in fullscreen with WINE so I had to "fake" it with a virtual desktop there. With a couple of other games I did a fullscreen override for a slight improvement but not a virtual desktop.

Admittedly I don't play every single game everyone else plays though.

BTW, for those games sensitive to mouse issues rawinput hacked WINE engines used to work well for me and then the latest WINE engines that have that stuff baked in so to speak.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#134 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Dead Space & Dead Space 2 run perfectly on Crossver 13.1.3.

#135 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

As a game that requires DX10 Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition runs poorly in wine. It actually runs better in Parallels. But a professional port by Feral would be the ideal fit for it. In Parallels there are pauses when moves first load... in Wine no.. but on many of the stages the game runs in So-Mo. It's probably a game that could use OpenGL 4.x support much like Tomb Raider has.

Also, it fails to properly detect my Xbox compatible controller and fighting stick and it disables the keyboard when I'm using them and I can't select anything using the fighting stick because the joystick axis are buttons rather than axis. This doesn't happen in Parallels.

*quick update*
I ended up switching from the crossover 13 engine I was using to Wine 1.7.15csmt and suddenly the frame rate is a lot higher and conistent on all stages. So it just goes to show that not all wine engines work the same way with all games.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#136 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:20 AM

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (campaign mode only) runs perfectly on Crossover 13.1.3.
But online multiplayer can't play because PunkBuster isn't supported.

#137 twickline

twickline

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

Here is a dealcode, coupon code that can be used in CodeWeavers store until 03/31/2015 and its good for a instant 25% discount...

Share it, spread the joy :)

DealCode : Tribeca

Cheers

#138 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:15 AM

Picked up a couple GOG titles on sale:
Descent 3 - seems to work pretty well under Wine/Winskin.
Giants Citizen Kabuto - had major screen issues until I tried turning on virtual desktop Looks like its fixed!
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#139 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Something really annoying about running Giants in a virtual desktop: the real mouse pointer moves on the real desktop and registers my clicks while I'm playing. This is invariably fatal, as random apps get pulled to the foreground in the middle of battles.

I tried playing with the mouse warp setting to no avail. Anyone know any techniques I can try to get around this?

#140 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Still wrestling with mouse issues in Giants. I tried making the desktop mouse very slow while increasing the sensitivity in-game-- the theory being that the desktop mouse would never make it to the edge of the screen during play, so I'd never accidentally click on anything. This helped a little, but eventually it goes wrong.

I'll try Crossover next. I might also try running it in its own OS X space to minimize stray clicks. But otherwise I'll probably just shelve the game, the missions can be lost very quickly when a stray click switches focus to another application, and then you have to start over.