#101 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

I was on a testing spree last weekend, so it's about time to post my results, using the latest version of COG (8.1.4):

Unreal Tournament III: One has to discern here by the versions of the game. The original UT3 version 1.x (which is usually the version you can get hold off on retail discs) installs fine and does start. Attempts to change the resolution in-game leads to a freeze that has to be resolved by a force quit of the corresponding bottle. Some tweaks have to be applied (like the aforementioned mouse warp registry trick and disabling window decorations by the window server) to get rid of a couple of glitches, but apart from that the game works. Alas, it's not very playable on my hardware (MBP 13", with 9400M, 4 GB RAM and MacOS X 10.6.3): the framerate fluctuates wildly (depending on the action on-screen and the direction you look) between 30 and 3 fps, rendering the game in the end unplayable.

Installing the latest patch for UT3 and bringing it to version 2.1 breaks the game completely. The splash screen appears, then the game crashes.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War – Dark Crusade: I mentioned earlier that one of the first games I tried was the DoW demo. This full game from the series confirms my findings: the game runs great, with some minor limitations. First of all, it's not advisable to crank up the graphic effects to maximum, since this leads to ugly glitches. Secondly, I found that the campaign mode has some problems. It's possible to start a new campaign and play it, but unfortunately it's not possible to continue said campaign since the game crashes on attempts to load a saved game. Dark Crusades successor – Soulstorm –, which contains a very similar campaign mode, is said to be troubled by the same problems. Skirmishes and multiplayer matches work completely fine, though.

Sid Meier's Railroads!: Another game I tried earlier. While back then, it did not work at all, the game runs now when you do it correctly. It's necessary to install the Microsoft XML 3.0 engine (which can be found among the supported packages in the "Install Software" dialog of CrossOver Games) and then edit the game's ini file a bit (most importantly to set "VBlankSynch" to "0"). Lo and behold: the game starts and runs very smooth, even with cranked up graphics. But there is still a major flaw: the game crashes after roughly 10 minutes. Every time. So while it basically runs, it's not of much use.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#102 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

I bought Crossover Games (version 8.1.4) the other week and am currently enjoying Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate I & II (and Tutu) & Planescape Torment all of which run flawlessly. I'm very pleased to be running these classic games on my Mac without needing to install windows :)

Unfortunately Vampire: Bloodlines isn't running and doesn't appear that it will anytime soon however Call of Cthulhu did install and runs albeit poorly on my Leopard iMac. I have however heard good reports when running on a newer iMac with Snow Leopard and when I upgrade later this year I'll update this post with my findings.

Basically I've loving Crossover at the moment and additionally value the portability (i.e being able to archive and reinstall bottle on a new Mac) which I will be putting into practice later this year!

Edit: For Planescape you need to change your colours to thousands before loading - then all is well :)

#103 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

Some Additions:

Giant Citizen Kabuto GOG
Flawless so far und 10.5.8.

Outcast
runs well but the ingame menu navigation is a bit itchy.

Fallout GOG
ok it works, but it runs a little bit choppy.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#104 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Half-Life STEAM

Has anybody else also have problems with the sound starting to stutter and making the game choppy just after afew minutes of play?

In BootCamp I can crank it all up and it still runs flawless.
So I guess it´s not just the GMA950.

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#105 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

View Postmindnoise, on 26 May 2010 - 11:13 AM, said:

In BootCamp I can crank it all up and it still runs flawless.
So I guess it´s not just the GMA950.
I'm pretty sure it mainly is. The GMA950 not only sucks in general, MacOS X's drivers make it suck even more. A couple of more info about the system you are running (how much RAM, which version of MacOS X, which version of CrossOver, and so on) however might help to pinpoint the cause of the problem even better.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#106 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

My little contribution to the compatibility list.

Clive Barker's Jericho... it runs perfectly and with all the effects with the latest crossover games. The previous version broke motion blur and HDR in it but with 9 everything works. At least on my late 2009 27 inch iMac running 10.6.3.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#107 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 26 May 2010 - 11:55 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure it mainly is. The GMA950 not only sucks in general, MacOS X's drivers make it suck even more. A couple of more info about the system you are running (how much RAM, which version of MacOS X, which version of CrossOver, and so on) however might help to pinpoint the cause of the problem even better.
thanks for getting back at me.

all the system details are in my signiture. ;)

Crossover 9.0

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#108 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

my contributions, on my duo 2 gig running snow leopard and crossover games 9.1

anno 1404 - plays perfectly. been playing it for a few weeks so many hours and it plays flawlessly, but there was a lot of jumping through hoops to get it to work, following the hints on the crossover site lead me to realise i had files missing, and i had to install on bootcamp partition and copy the files over.

max payne 2 - initial playing suggests it plays perfectly

just cause 2 - tried this tho site said it doesnt work - doesnt even install

world in conflict - installs but plain black screen, might be my integrated graphics card

singularity - tried it as not mentioned on site, installs but doesnt even open

Deus Ex 2 - mouse problems make it unplayable. you go to turn in one direction and you can only turn so far, so you have to turn 360 degrees in the other direction. it actually plays better in parallels
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#109 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

return to castle wolfenstein works perfect

wolfenstein works okay, you have to manually run the setup.exe file as the automatic installer doesnt work.

unfortunately i dont get great fps on my 2 gig mini but dont suppose i should have expected great results
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#110 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi,
just to let you know that on GOG there is also a promising thread for GOG Games on CXG.
http://www.gog.com/e...neral/mac/page1

I also try to help with things there, but GOG specific. :)

(NOT with the intention to keep you from IMG!)

cheers!

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#111 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for that link. Looks like most games will run with either DOS Box or CXG, according to our very own forum member rampancy and his detailed instructions. I may consider picking up the latest CXG version again then. Dual-booting is still too much of a pain, but I sure would love to be able to play MoO 2, Settlers 2, HoMM3, and a handful of others again.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#112 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

Meh. After trying out CXG again I was yet again disappointed. It just doesn't do it for me. On the other hand, I also tried the newest version of Parallels, and I'm fraking impressed. It has certainly improved a lot since I've tested it last. It probably also helps that I have a much faster machine now.

Seriously though, a game such as Trackmania was nigh unplayable in Parallels on my old Macbook on the lowest settings, and now I can run it smoothly in native resolution with most details on and on relatively high settings.

frak Bootcamp and Crossover, Parallels is finally getting money from me.

#113 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Pardon the shameless plug, but my GOGMix of OS X compatible games (or games on GOG with open-source engine ports on OS X) is here: http://www.gog.com/e...dly_gog_games_4

CXG 9.1 works great with games like Total Annihilation, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, and Raptor: Call of the Shadows; all you need to do is some tweaking (e.g. installing runtime support files like the 2005/2008 MS Visual C++ Redistributable).
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#114 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hi

anyone have any hint to Duke Nukem atomic Edition with eDuke?

it´s minor but in the savegame window, the backspace and delete keys do not work,
meaning I cannot edit savegame names.

Also @rampancy /GOG list,
at least the original disc version of Fallout Tactics runs well on my GMA950 under CXG 9.1
I don´t know how that differs from the actual GOG version. :)

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#115 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

With the recent sale of Crossover I gave it a second/third look again, but damn either I'm not getting it or the program is just stubborn.

I have a much easier time getting games to run with the free Wineskin, which coincidentally is able to make use of Crossover's very same Wine code implementation. It's also great being able to have self-contained wrappers instead.

#116 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

View PostPegasus, on 13 October 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

With the recent sale of Crossover I gave it a second/third look again, but damn either I'm not getting it or the program is just stubborn.

I have a much easier time getting games to run with the free Wineskin, which coincidentally is able to make use of Crossover's very same Wine code implementation. It's also great being able to have self-contained wrappers instead.
wineskin doesn't use their WINE code implementation.... CXZ does.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#117 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

Well, their WINE engine build then. It still doesn't change the fact that Crossover has done nothing but given me headaches.

#118 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:20 AM

My advise is just buy Crossover for games you want to run and know are compatible. Anything else you can get to run is an added bonus. To be fair though for the sale price it's worth a shot.

#119 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

I got a Ton of Games for GamersGate, Steam and GOG during the holiday.

Most of the won´t run in CXG, I guess due to my fragging GMA950. Anyway when Lion comes out I will get a new 13" MBPro.

RUNE (Human Head/G.O.D.)
CD Version. runs like charm but only in Windows Mode and with the OpenGL Renderer.
But up to 1280x768 16:9. I forgot how fantasticly grim this game is.

Necronomicon - The Dawning of Darkness by Anuman
(GamersGate)
I don´t know if ANYBODY knows this game, it´s a port from the PSX ;), but it´s a nice H.P. Lovecraft fix,
if you are a fan of his works (like me).  is mostly known for Syberia and Gameplay is similar to Myst and other ´Quicktime´ games
runs nice.

I have a ton more to test.
:)

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#120 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I know this is not technically CrossOver, but I have been playing the game in WINEskin; Company of Heroes and its expansions: Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor.

I have been using the latest iteration of WINE: WS8Wine 1.4-rc6 and wrapper: 2.5.4

There ONLY issue I have found witht the game is moving location via Mini-Map. Everything else has ran flawlessly. Not sure how much that means, but as I have seen no one else here as reported CoH being played, I thought I might as well give something.

Lib.

P.S. Is there any list that is made, as I cannot see it at the start of the thread.

Edit: the engine I have actually been using is 1.4-rc2

Edited by The Liberator, 07 March 2012 - 07:06 AM.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State