#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:51 AM

I think the hype COG has received here justifies a own thread for experiences with its compatibility to see if it lives up to the hype.

Let's face it: Codeweavers compatibility database is pretty useless. Only 25 games are officially supported by Codeweavers, and while the complete list contains more games (more than 800 at his point) most of them are marked as "not tested". The WineHQ app database contains more results (>2600) which usually also apply to CrossOver (since this is basically Wine with a nice GUI), but sometimes don't (for what reason ever) or are very outdated.

So let's have some first-hand experiences!

So far I tried the following games (all with the recent COG 7.0.0 – it was a long evening yesterday):

Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
Doesn't run at all.

Il-2 Sturmovik Complete Edition
Requires NoCD patch. Works and runs rather well (~30 fps in full detail), ugly graphic glitches in the clouds, but: no joystick support at all – that makes the game essentially unplayable.

PlaneScape Torment
Doesn't run at all.

and just for fun:
Doom 3
Doesn't run at all (!) – this could be intentional, though. Wine stopped supporting D3 when the official Linux version came out.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

Planescape torment was actually designed for Win98, wasn't it? So it was already a bonus that it worked under XP, if it did at all. (I actually had a dual boot system for a long time, with both win98 and xp on, just to run older games, it was fantastic, since Win98 > XP, although XP defenitely beat out the bugs now!)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 27th 2008, 09:55 AM, said:

Planescape torment was actually designed for Win98, wasn't it? So it was already a bonus that it worked under XP, if it did at all.
It definitely works under BootCamp with Win XP. Aside from that, CrossOver allows you to choose the Windows version it's supposed to impersonate no help.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 txa1265

txa1265

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:07 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 27th 2008, 04:55 AM, said:

Planescape torment was actually designed for Win98, wasn't it? So it was already a bonus that it worked under XP, if it did at all.

PS:T, like the Baldur's Gate games, is a 2D game and therefore not prone to the issues that 3D games had in terms of problematic compatibility (I had exactly *one* PC that would run Shadows of the Empire ... ).  So it really shouldn't be a major problem.
Dopelar effect (n.)  The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.

#5 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 27th 2008, 02:55 AM, said:

since Win98 > XP, although XP defenitely beat out the bugs now!)

At one time Win98 did have better games support than the NT based systems like XP\2k but that didn't make it better.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

Three more:

Star Wars Battlefront II
Doesn't work at all.

Out Run 2006 Coast2Coast
Requires NoCD patch. Runs rather well, but irritating graphical glitches: the shadows of the other cars are floating weirdly all over the screen. Suffers also from lacking gamepad support.

Silent Hunter III
Requires NoCD patch. Big surprise: runs really well. Fluid, almost all graphic effects work. Only one irritating glitch: the ships' wakes are black.

#7 txa1265

txa1265

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

Unreal Gold - installs and plays well enough.  I unfortunately chose 'Direct3D' as the renderer and that didn't go well.  Safe Mode works great ... and performance is excellent.

Now for some others ... OK, update:

Temple of Elemental Evil (2003 Troika RPG) - installs fine, tries to start and dies.

Wizardry 8 (Sirtech 2001 RPG) - problems installing, won't even try to launch.
Dopelar effect (n.)  The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:12 PM

Two easy ones or so it seemed:

Half-Life 2
Plays fine, very smooth, most effects work (on DirectX 8.1 level), but flickering textures now and then.

Counter-Strike Source
Works fine, flickering textures as above, but: I couldn't connect to a single server. The game finds a plethora of them, but connection always fails.

And now the disappointment:
Portal
Doesn't work. Game starts, but freezes at loading screen. This can't be CrossOver's usual overly long loading times when it comes to Source games, since I actually took a shower and had some dinner in the meantime. Nothing happened.

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

One more for tonight by popular request:
Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
Works. Almost perfectly. No kidding. The only issue I see is some (rather funky) flickering of the characters' textures when they are in the shade.

#10 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 28th 2008, 03:44 PM, said:

One more for tonight by popular request:
Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
Works. Almost perfectly. No kidding. The only issue I see is some (rather funky) flickering of the characters' textures when they are in the shade.

It's probably worth mentioning what video card/Mac you are testing on. I can foresee some games acting differently between ATI, nVidia and Intel GMA cards.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:10 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on March 29th 2008, 04:12 AM, said:

It's probably worth mentioning what video card/Mac you are testing on. I can foresee some games acting differently between ATI, nVidia and Intel GMA cards.
Good Point. All my tests were made on a MacBook Pro (1st gen.), 2 GHz, 2 MB RAM, 256 MB ATI x1600.

Three more:
Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!
Doesn't work. Well, maybe it does, but the game insists on opening an Explorer windows before starting the game, which cannot be closed. :glare:

Guild Wars Factions
Works indeed very well. Some minor glitches and tends to stutter from now and then, but runs well at 1440x900 and maxed out settings.

Operation Flashpoint
Runs and is playable, but timing problems in the cut-scenes (speech is too fast and skipping) and errors in the shadows.

#12 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 29th 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

Good Point. All my tests were made on a MacBook Pro (1st gen.), 2 GHz, 2 MB RAM, 256 MB ATI x1600.

Well, I don't know how much of a problem it would be that I have an nVidia GEforce 7600 GT 256 MB graphics card. Anyone?  Mr. Oliver?

#13 hooks

hooks

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

I got Counter Strike Source to run very smoothly and connect to servers without a problem. I will say this, If you use duel screens and are having problems with loading up the game at launch, unplug your external monitor from your laptop. (Unplug your DVI cable). and it will load up perfect. That little issue took me like 3 days to figure out. so ya, i average 32 fps, the lowest ive seen it drop was 15 fps when i was smoked and taking fire, on certain maps my frames will stay as high as 45-50, with everything on high, AA at 8x. so it runs way better than i would have ever thought.

my specs
15" MBP 2.16 CoreDuo
2gb ram
ATI X1600  256mb

#14 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

View Posthooks, on March 30th 2008, 03:15 PM, said:

If you use duel screens and are having problems with loading up the game at launch, unplug your external monitor from your laptop
Unplug your duel screen? Isn't that dangerous  :unsure:

Oh well, my second needed killing anyways.

#15 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Not really.. it may not be the best idea to unplug it while the power is on but it wont automatically kill it. With the power off there's no problem.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#16 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:40 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on March 30th 2008, 08:55 PM, said:

Not really.. it may not be the best idea to unplug it while the power is on but it wont automatically kill it. With the power off there's no problem.
If I'm in a duel it's not the screen's life I'm worried about...

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:23 AM

Dark Messiah Might and Magic
Requires NoCD patch. Runs smooth, but in-game menus are unreadable (only boxes - probably a missing font) and some shader effects don't work. Unfortunately, that includes the Night Vision spell, which strongly affects playability.

#18 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

View PostJanichsan, on March 28th 2008, 11:12 PM, said:

Portal
Doesn't work. Game starts, but freezes at loading screen. This can't be CrossOver's usual overly long loading times when it comes to Source games, since I actually took a shower and had some dinner in the meantime. Nothing happened.
:(
lame. but then again, you could just boot into windows for 2 hours and complete the game in that time.
I find it odd that it doesnt work though...

View PostJanichsan, on March 29th 2008, 06:10 PM, said:

Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!
Doesn't work. Well, maybe it does, but the game insists on opening an Explorer windows before starting the game, which cannot be closed. :glare:
yeah, S&M opens up a launch window which is part of its demo/shareware style licensing. I assume that that kind of thing will never really play nice with CrossOver Games unless its specifically tweaked to go with it. It might work in CrossOver office though...

Operation Flashpoint
Runs and is playable, but timing problems in the cut-scenes (speech is too fast and skipping) and errors in the shadows.

shadows seem to be quite problematic across the board really... not too surprising from where Im sat.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

View Postbobbob, on March 31st 2008, 01:40 AM, said:

If I'm in a duel it's not the screen's life I'm worried about...

Oh, I wasn't even looking at that misspelling.  :cool:
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:46 AM

View Postteflon, on March 31st 2008, 11:43 AM, said:

yeah, S&M opens up a launch window which is part of its demo/shareware style licensing. I assume that that kind of thing will never really play nice with CrossOver Games unless its specifically tweaked to go with it. It might work in CrossOver office though...
CrossOver Office and Games are actually not that different. I tried some non-gaming applications in COG and found that they don't run much different than in COO.