11 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:11 AM

CodeWeavers, a developer of software products that turn Mac OS X and Linux into Windows-compatible operating systems, has announced the release of CrossOver Games for both Mac and Linux. The software allows gamers to play popular Windows games such as Guild Wars, and many Steam games including Team Fortress 2 and Counterstrike Source.

"One of the differences between CrossOver Games and our current CrossOver products is that it's going to be a little more 'bleeding edge'," said Jeremy White, President and CEO of CodeWeavers. "The Wine development community, including CodeWeavers, is cranking out a lot of important improvements to game support. We want to get those improvements into the hands of gamers now. CrossOver Games, we think, will fit in with the edgier technology needs of gamers."

CrossOver Games features many recent game advancements developed in the open-source community. "This is our way of promoting the incredible work of the open-source community," said White. "It also marks a positional change in our product line. There's a perception that our products primarily make Windows office productivity applications run under our CrossOver products. The truth is, CrossOver also runs many popular games on Macs and Linux PCs as well."
CrossOver Games is available for purchase directly from CodeWeavers and its authorized resellers. It is a download-only product and costs $39.95, a price which includes 12 months of free product support and software updates.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

1:15 am
Just when i was about to go to sleep, i have found something to cure my boredom. I wonder if this will end up being of any use?

EDIT:
2:03 am Team Fortress 2 is installed and is now updating. oo lookie 600kbps!

P.S
Liek ZoMg 99% UPdAT3DS!

P.S.S
WOOOOTTTTT!!! Now launching Team Fortress 2

EDIT:
2:30 am
it is anything but easy to launch this game, let me tell you. I must Persist!!!!!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#3 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

3:00 am (ironically i am not excaggerating, it is axcactly 3:00 am, man time is quare today)

I was able after an half hour to launch the game. I wont run fullscreen, takes 5 times as long to enter a server and load it. The game hangs, and crashes, and if i want to restart it, i must restart the entire bottle, meaning i have to load up team again, and it takes Friggin ages.

Codeweavers, if this is going to replace my using windows for games, it needs to actually have advantages over it! So far it would have been easier to make myself an early morning sandwich then log into windows!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#4 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

I will buy this if and only if they tell me in no uncertain terms that I can play the second Freedom Force game on it.

#5 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

And will you believe them if they tell you it can? ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#6 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on March 27th 2008, 04:43 PM, said:

yeah, cause i can tell you it is useless for Team fortress 2. :nods:

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#7 Zorcky

Zorcky

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:28 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on March 27th 2008, 01:17 AM, said:

yeah, cause i can tell you it is useless for Team fortress 2. :nods:

Well i have the same problem here, on there site they tell that it will run Max Payne 2, now the installation and so was no problem, everything looked nice. But then came the pain, it will not run. The game ask me for the play disk, when it's in the drive? Now i have checked the site, and find on the site that there is a problem with some software that uses copy protection on the disk. It will not work for some reasons?

Now my question to the makers of crossover games is, does run Max Payne 2 or not? On they site it does? But here i have a problem that is know ....?

I have send them a question, but i'm still waiting to a answer ...
Hey Dutch Mac Gamers, take a look at here!

#8 txa1265

txa1265

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:04 AM

To me the proof will be in the support and updates.  Getting all of those 'honorable mentions' to Silver, and all of the Silvers to actually run :D
Dopelar effect (n.)  The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.

#9 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

Zorcky: The version of Max Payne 2 that they mention in their list is the version on Steam. Where you trying that version or the retail version? Sounds like retail version, if so I agree with QuantaCat.

This sounded interesting to me at first but if what is said here is true it looks like it needs a lot more work.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#10 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on March 26th 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

Well, if they actually CALL me at home or send a nice note on embossed stationery with perhaps a covered dish of tuna casserole. I might.
But based on the comments on this thread and the other Crossover Games thread, I think I'd have to see it to believe it. It's a shame, really. I like games a lot, and I would love to play some Windows games but there is no way in Hell I would ever unleash Windows on my Mac (especially after watching my wife lose her mind trying to use Vista on her PC) just for games.

So, I was really excited to hear about a specific game-oriented solution but it sounds like they have a LOT of work to do before it's stable and easy (read "idiot-proof") enough for me.

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

View Postalldaveallen, on March 26th 2008, 06:59 PM, said:

I will buy this if and only if they tell me in no uncertain terms that I can play the second Freedom Force game on it.
I guess you have to give them your money.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 28th 2008, 03:46 PM, said:

I guess you have to give them your money.

I'm so impressed by the link to the other thread that links back to this thread (it's like how the beginning and end of "Watchmen" visually mirror each other or something) that someone may have already snuck the money out of my wallet while I sat here gaping.  Of course, it's not the same as if the Crossover games people called me, but if you think it'll work on a straight-off-the-shelf 24" 2.16 Mhz iMac, then I may well give it a try.