194 replies to this topic

#41 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:11 AM

Just a note to guys in the UK looking to buy it I saw Play.com have it on pre-order for 29.99.

#42 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:17 AM

View PostTrooperSam, on April 4th 2008, 02:22 PM, said:

Nope. In December 2005.... The game was clearly pretty much done. Mysteriously, it has taken and additional 26+ months.

Maybe because it was not pretty much done. :) George was commenting on the original start of development when we expected (wrongly) that the development of Fable would be quick, easy and follow the path of previous easy ports.

View PostGeorge K., on December 16th 2005, 03:45 AM, said:

Fable: The Lost Chapters for Mac OS X is currently in development and is progressing steadily. Feral Interactive has not set a release date as yet, but it should be some time just after the New Year.

F:TLC will have support for universal binaries, thus allowing you to play the game on either PowerPC or Intel processor equipped Macs. Consequentially, we have extended the development time.

As you can see the porting of Fable was a lot harder than lets say LEGO Star Wars II. He was though very careful on not giving a set release date although he did say he hoped for a release early in the new year.

Sometimes ports are a dream and the only work is testing the game can be completed and the graphics settings work as expected, sometimes you have strange issues and problems and that is when the programmers and testers have to be at their best. Fable took I agree took too long to port and a lot more work than first expected but the good news is we did finish the game and it is available to play on PPC and Intel machines.

If you are looking for one or two specific reasons there aren't any, just a big list of smaller things that when added together caused the game to take longer than expected. A few people have suggested some of the issues in this thread add these to a few other issues not mentioned and you get long development time.

I just thought I would crush any conspiracy theories about us just leaving a finished Fable on a the shelf for a long time for no reason!

Edwin

#43 TrooperSam

TrooperSam

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

I didn't say it was on a shelf all this time.

I asked because this reminded me of Savage by S2. Someone from the company posted in 2003 and said the game had been ported in less than 24 hours. Early 2004 it turned out that some people had left and one guy was workng on it in his spare time, and it turned out it hadn't been ported in less than 48 hours. I think it finally came out near the end of 2005. So I was concerned that it might be that Feral only had one guy working on it now and then.

#44 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

um... how exactly do you think porting works?? generally, you give the game code to one guy who then ports it, it gets seeded to testers, he gets the bugs back, goes through fixes the bugs rinse lather repeat. All the while trying to optimise it a bit better with each build...

because of how that works youll often see a porter doing one major project and then perhaps a couple of minor projects at the same time.

case in point, Brad Oliver, while at Aspyr he was obviously porting games all the time, yet when the intel machines came out he quickly ported Shrek 2 to a UB in spare time. Not to mention his work on KotOR, which wasnt a main project at all, which is why it took so long to do (he had several major issues to try and work around)..

anyway, my point is that you get single people porting a game, its the kind of thing where that will work quicker, unlike when youre creating the game itself where youll have a regularly updated codebase handled by a couple of people, but again, not many.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#45 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

I'm curious if anyone has actually received the game yet? Amazon USA now says they're getting it April 10th. I see retailers get games maybe two or three days after ship date, but never this long.

I would order from Feral, but I just get this when I go there:
Errors :(

And I'm hoping Amazon drops the price a little... $50 is gonna hurt!
私は今日日本語で話します。

#46 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

View PostKaoro, on April 8th 2008, 01:29 PM, said:

I would order from Feral, but I just get this when I go there:
Errors :(

Have you told them about it?

Applying my awesome webular expertise, looks like it's a bug with the GET data for the language. Try the site through this link:

http://www.feralinte...anguage=english
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#47 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

Sweet, thank you! That fixed it. It even works if I go to the website without the "?language=english" part now too. Not sure if it set a cookie or what.
私は今日日本語で話します。

#48 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Here's the latest from Amazon (where I pre-ordered Fable):

" Mac OS X (Primary Contributor) "Fable: The Lost Chapters [DVD-Video]" [CD-ROM]
  Estimated arrival date: 04/21/2008 - 04/25/2008"

Looks like it may not have actually shipped yet. Has anyone seen it?

#49 pikafumanchu

pikafumanchu

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hey. I got a similar email from Amazon, only it stated my estimated arrival at 4/14 as I am having it shipped two day air.

Right when I got this, I went to the product page and it said that it would ship 4/10. It looks like they didn't order enough, though, since it is listed as out of stock again. If I do get it on Monday, I'll let you all know  :)

4/11 EDIT: So, I just received an email from Amazon saying that the estimated ship date is 05/12/2008 - 05/28/2008. I guess that original email they sent me yesterday was completely wrong, even though I've had this on pre-order. Thanks, Amazon. You're doing a bang-up job by not fulfilling your pre-orders.

I'm beginning to wonder how they fulfill their orders. If there were more pre-orders than they were supplied with, then the product page should never have stated that the item was available.

#50 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:14 AM

Those estimated revised ship/delivery dates Amazon sends you are just approximations they make based on when they expect to receive the product. They are not set in stone and Amazon can't do anything until they receive the product. When the release date passes and they still don't have it, they send these emails but again they're just estimates. I get these emails a lot with some game strategy guides that kept receiving delays by the manufacturer. Amazon said it would ship a week later and it shipped the next day...

Also, it seems that Feral has a slight problem. I emailed Feral support and just received the reply. Apparently there is a delay on Feral's part. He expects it to be available by the end of next week (English version), but he didn't know how long it would then take for other retailers like Amazon to receive it. So don't worry, Amazon's not screwing you over!
私は今日日本語で話します。

#51 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

View Postpikafumanchu, on April 10th 2008, 07:57 PM, said:

Hey. I got a similar email from Amazon, only it stated my estimated arrival at 4/14 as I am having it shipped two day air.

Right when I got this, I went to the product page and it said that it would ship 4/10. It looks like they didn't order enough, though, since it is listed as out of stock again. If I do get it on Monday, I'll let you all know  :)

4/11 EDIT: So, I just received an email from Amazon saying that the estimated ship date is 05/12/2008 - 05/28/2008. I guess that original email they sent me yesterday was completely wrong, even though I've had this on pre-order. Thanks, Amazon. You're doing a bang-up job by not fulfilling your pre-orders.

I'm beginning to wonder how they fulfill their orders. If there were more pre-orders than they were supplied with, then the product page should never have stated that the item was available.

Got the same email. I figure either Feral found out the golden master wasn't, or they are trying to borrow enough money to get the disks duplicated and packaged. :glare:

#52 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:35 AM

By christ guys you've waited 2 years surely a couple more days wont hurt?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#53 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on April 12th 2008, 09:35 AM, said:

By christ guys you've waited 2 years surely a couple more days wont hurt?

They have a different definition of "couple" in Australia?  ;)

#54 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

are you trying to imply that australia abides by pre-induction to the US Mormon rules on marriage???
:P

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#55 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

View Postteflon, on April 14th 2008, 07:01 PM, said:

are you trying to imply that australia abides by pre-induction to the US Mormon rules on marriage???
:P

I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.foxnews.c...,351237,00.html

#56 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

ah, id forgotten about that one...

I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/7331909.stm

is it me or, unless you can marry more than one woman at a time in Fable, have we gone waaaay off topic...

#57 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:04 AM

View Postteflon, on April 15th 2008, 04:07 PM, said:

unless you can marry more than one woman at a time in Fable

You can marry more than one person at once.

You can only have one partner per village but you can marry as many wives (or husbands) as you wish till you run out of new villages with marital homes. In fact to unlock a legendary sword you have to marry the Mayor of Bowerstone "Lady Grey".

So yes polygamy is allowed in Fable. As a minor word fact of the day, polygamy has been practiced as polygyny (one man having more than one wife), or as polyandry (one woman having more than one husband), or, less commonly as "polygamy" (one person having many wives and many husbands at the same time). As mentioned above in Fable you can be single, monogamous, polygynous or polygamous, but as you cannot play as a woman (the hero is male) the option to be polyandrous is not possible.

Edwin

#58 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:12 AM

Funny. Fable surely outdoes Mass Effect in that area.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#59 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:47 AM

View Postedddeduck, on April 16th 2008, 10:04 AM, said:

So yes polygamy is allowed in Fable.

w00t for early 19th C mormons!!!  :cool:

#60 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

View PostKaoro, on April 8th 2008, 05:29 AM, said:

I'm curious if anyone has actually received the game yet?

Right I was hoping against hope we would not need to post this but things happen and it is what it is.

There has been a delay on Fable: The Lost Chapters, because unfortunately the company contracted to do part of the manufacturing for the game, ODS went bankrupt before delivering our order.

I did not want to say anything before as we did not want to say or do anything, which might have hurt ODS's chances of survival. Sadly the company announced late on Tuesday that it was going into administration.

We have in recent weeks been sorting out alternative manufactures - the International English version and US English of the game will ship next week, but the European language versions will take a little while longer. I am sorry I could not tell everyone on the forums earlier but as I am sure you guys will understand you don't want to comment on things like this this till it is official and my announcement in the forums would not cause any speculation which could have impacted their chances of survival.

The people who pre-ordered on the web store will have their orders fulfilled early next week out of the first batch of stock we get delivered.

Finally thanks to all you Fable fans out there for not giving us to much abuse. :)

Edwin