#21 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

View Postmacgallant, on March 16th 2008, 06:33 AM, said:

The macgamestore states that it won't run on gma but what about the x3100?

As mentioned the X3100 is a GMA card. The fact is we will not offer any support for people trying to play using the GMA card. I do know the game does run on the X3100 (I have played on a MacBook) although during battles etc near the end of the game it slows down quite a lot making the game play less fun.

As such we officially don't support the game on this card. We decided it is better to not support it than get lots of people in forums and reviews complaining that the performance on the MacBooks is not perfect (because trust me they will!). Instead we don't officially support the cards but we don't block the game from running on them. Remember although I said it runs on a MacBook it is your choice to play under the specifications so if you buy the game don't expect to be able to get refunds and/or detailed support if you hit trouble.

As an aside when people say it plays on PC GMA which I have seen before for lots of Mac games recently I would point out almost no PC game supports the GMA cards officially. If you get lucky the game will run but you might experience slowdown.

Edwin

#22 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

View PostCougar, on March 17th 2008, 03:46 PM, said:

The thing is the average consumer is not going to think that. They are going to think, "Why should I pay $50 for a three-year old game that I can get on the Xbox now for ten bucks? I'll just get NWN2 instead." (Or even a used xbox + the game.) I agree with what AussieMacGamer said: if the game were $30, a lot more people would end up buying it and Feral would make more money.

it doesnt really matter what consumers are going to think. This is one of those instances where it simply has to be this way. I gave the reasons for the game being the price it is. If Feral had picked it up in the last few months and ported it across, what with it being a budget title, the deal might have been different and Feral could drop the price.

Also, i dont think you quite grasped the most crucial porting tax, which is that (and while I dont know the exact details of the deal) from every copy of the game sold, the original devs take a set figure. Whether that is a percentage or a set amount Im not sure, but I suspect the latter, it doesnt really matter because it means that Feral would have to sell over twice as many copies of the game.

we can talk about what ifs and but all night, yet the fact will still remain that aside from a bit of penny pinching in the rest of the world, Feral simply cant afford to cut the price.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#23 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

View PostCougar, on March 17th 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

The thing is the average consumer is not going to think that. They are going to think, "Why should I pay $50 for a three-year old game that I can get on the Xbox now for ten bucks? I'll just get NWN2 instead." (Or even a used xbox + the game.) I agree with what AussieMacGamer said: if the game were $30, a lot more people would end up buying it and Feral would make more money.

Actually, the average consumer will probably think "wow, cool, this games looks nice and it runs on my mac" and they won't even know it's originally an Xbox game. The average and casual gamer don't know the history of every single game released.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#24 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:03 AM

^ I think that's a great point Whaleman, and something I have often run across with all my friends. I like to follow all the little details of all games, but they don't pay any attention whatsoever.

Also I wanted to add, I'm really happy this is UB and not intel only. All the new bigger mac games these days are intel only. I know casual stuff isn't, but I don't like those. Regardless of its price, or anything else I appreciate that base fact almost more than anything. But that may be because Fable is the only new game I can actually run on my computer. :P
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#25 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:51 AM

Just to bump this, Feral has been extremely generous and dropped the price to €40 to make up for the dollar rates. If you haven't preordered it yet, now is a good time to do so :)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#26 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

View PostWhaleman, on March 25th 2008, 12:51 PM, said:

Just to bump this, Feral has been extremely generous and dropped the price to €40 to make up for the dollar rates.
Somehow weird, considering Feral is an UK based company. Not that I'm complaining... ;)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#27 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Well its about to be April 3rd for me, and still no announcement of any kind on this... Damn release dates!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#28 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

Any sightings of Fable out in the wild? I'm itching to pick it up.

#29 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

Isn't amazon shipping already?

no wait, they aren't..
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#30 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

My copy haven't shipped yet... but I had to wait until payday until I cold preorder it... so I'm probably way down the line if they got limited supply first shipment.

***END MESSAGE***

#31 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:13 AM

No no, no copy has shipped yet. This spells doom?
QC.

#32 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:35 AM

Hardly...every announced Feral game so far has shipped.  Not always immediately....

--Eric

#33 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:22 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on April 3rd 2008, 11:13 PM, said:

No no, no copy has shipped yet. This spells doom?

Yes, yes it does the whole Fable port was a very bad April fools joke!

You laughing yet? :P

In all seriousness sometimes the stock gets into channels faster than other times. We know that sometimes the stock does not appear on the day we are officially shipping and this is something we are working on improving. However it is very rare for us to cancel a title and even more rare to cancel a title after we announced the game.

Rest assured I have played the game 1000's of times, members of the press have been given previews and anyone who has pre-ordered on our web store will be amongst the first to get their hands on the game. Sadly we have no demo for Fable but with most games going Intel only this game should be a great plus for all you G5 (& G4 laptop) owners out there.

Anyway best get back to work, once one game is done two more fill the space! :)

Edwin

#34 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:39 AM

All your base!

But it would have been a *great* april fools joke. :D
QC.

#35 TrooperSam

TrooperSam

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

Why was the game 26 months late?

#36 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

View Postedddeduck, on April 4th 2008, 09:22 AM, said:

(& G4 laptop) owners out there.

Before someone gets excited, the minimum requirement on the Apple site is 1.6GHz, so only the 1.67GHz G4 laptops are included :)

View PostTrooperSam, on April 4th 2008, 02:43 PM, said:

Why was the game 26 months late?

Because otherwise there would be nothing for you to complain about.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#37 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Presumably it took Robosoft a while to get up to speed with the whole porting thing.

--Eric

#38 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

Well, theyve been porting programmes and games for many years, so its not due to any lack of experience.
more likely its that the intel transition hit, Code had to be started afresh, writing for two architectures, optimisations for the CD machines couldnt be made until the CD machines etc. etc.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#39 TrooperSam

TrooperSam

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

View Postteflon, on April 4th 2008, 12:39 PM, said:

Well, theyve been porting programmes and games for many years, so its not due to any lack of experience.
more likely its that the intel transition hit, Code had to be started afresh, writing for two architectures, optimisations for the CD machines couldnt be made until the CD machines etc. etc.

Nope. In December 2005, George K from Feral posted here and said they were working on the UB, and they would probably release game just after New Years (2006). The game was clearly pretty much done. Mysteriously, it has taken and additional 26+ months.

#40 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

well, best laid plans and all. Feral just had a rough time of it for a couple of years, and its not the case that they just sat on their hands for a few years. Firstly, why would they do that when they could be, you know, making money, and secondly, theyre back in the swing of things in a big way. They got Tomb Raider Anniversary out on time, and judging from the secret projects page on the Robosoft site that someone discovered, theyve got plenty games up their sleeves.