24 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:36 AM

TransGaming has announced that Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is now available for owners of Intel Macs, courtesy of the company's Cider virtualization software. TransGaming recently obtained exclusive rights to the Mac release of Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords from D3 Publisher of America. The game combines the popular match three game style with a role playing experience.

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords offers a compelling twist on conventional gaming, allowing players to spend just a few casual minutes with the game or dedicate hours of game play at a time to their puzzles-and-role-playing experience. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is a critically acclaimed video game that artfully blends match-three puzzle game play with strategy, character-building elements and a persistent storyline. This combination of game play elements created an appealing new video game genre that entices casual and hardcore gamers alike, making it fun for the whole family.

"The partnership established by TransGaming to bring Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords to Mac consumers is another example of TransGaming's leadership in the gaming industry and how we are bringing some of the greatest and most compelling content to Mac gamers. Puzzle Quest is sure to delight the Mac audience and we are also excited about several new initiatives this Spring that will continue to change the landscape of Mac gaming and make it easier then ever for Mac consumers to enjoy the games they love," commented Vikas Gupta, CEO & President of TransGaming Technologies.

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords has received numerous accolades acknowledging the excellence of the game. These include the prestigious Best Downloadable Game at the 11 th annual Interactive Achievement Awards, a Spike TV nomination for Best Handheld Game of 2007, a Best Puzzle Game of E3 2007 Award from IGN.com, and the esteemed iParenting Media Excellent Product Award for 2007.
Requirements:

• Mac OS X v10.4.10/Mac OS X v10.5.1 Leopard
• CPU: Intel Core Duo Processor
• 1024MB RAM
• 150MB hard-disk space
• Video card: ATI X1600/NVIDIA 7300 GT/Intel integrated graphics chip
• Keyboard and mouse
The Mac version of Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords costs $19.99 and is available for purchase and download at TransGaming's new GameTree Online site.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8287 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:37 AM

Hm – Cider... :glare:

But okay, Puzzle Quest doesn't require that much performance. I just hope it's stable.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:36 AM

View PostJanichsan, on March 13th 2008, 08:37 AM, said:

Hm – Cider... :glare:

But okay, Puzzle Quest doesn't require that much performance. I just hope it's stable.

Is this the game that's on the DS?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8287 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

View Postdojoboy, on March 13th 2008, 02:36 PM, said:

Is this the game that's on the DS?
Yup.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

It truly is the game that is on DS... and 360 Arcade, and PSP and PS2 and Wii and soon to come mobile phones. I've played it the past few weeks on the 360 and it's a truly amazing game that would be completely awesome on any portable format... so count me in to get one for my MacBook. I'm still looking for a DS version in Sweden :/ But it will be just as great on my MacBook.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#6 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

View PostWhaleman, on March 13th 2008, 09:43 AM, said:

It truly is the game that is on DS... and 360 Arcade, and PSP and PS2 and Wii and soon to come mobile phones. I've played it the past few weeks on the 360 and it's a truly amazing game that would be completely awesome on any portable format... so count me in to get one for my MacBook. I'm still looking for a DS version in Sweden :/ But it will be just as great on my MacBook.

AFAIK, the DS is region free, so why not just order it from some place like Amazon.com? It was available the last time I checked. PQ & AoE are the next 2 games on my list for my DS, so chances are a Mac purchase won't be happening.

#7 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

About time. :P Not that I'm all that interested because I already own it for my DS. This type of game is always best on a portable, imo.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#8 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on March 13th 2008, 06:09 PM, said:

AFAIK, the DS is region free, so why not just order it from some place like Amazon.com? It was available the last time I checked. PQ & AoE are the next 2 games on my list for my DS, so chances are a Mac purchase won't be happening.

I've been eyeing it on play.com for a long time.... but it's much harder to justify an import buy than an "impulse" buy at a store when broke ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#9 TalonComics

TalonComics

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

Yeah, Puzzle Quest is a fantastic game both on the DS and in 1080i on the 360. I actually prefer it on the 360 because the way HD lays out you have an easier time seeing what's going on.

I wouldn't get it on the Mac but if you don't have it in any other format I highly recommend picking it up!

#10 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

Bought it, downloading now.

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8287 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

View PostHansi, on March 14th 2008, 02:14 PM, said:

Bought it, downloading now.
We expect hourly reports.

#12 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

Works perfectly. You can play it right of the bat, takes a bit to start up thought, about 30 sec. I imported my character from the Windows version running under VMWare and it worked perfectly and also running a new character. Multiplayer is however missing from this version which is a minus but then again I have never used the multiplayer option on the other versions.

You can command+tab out of the app and do other stuff and you can listen to iTunes while playing so I'm happy. Best game for Mac in a while :)

#13 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

View PostHansi, on March 14th 2008, 11:17 AM, said:

You can command+tab out of the app and do other stuff and you can listen to iTunes while playing so I'm happy. Best game for Mac in a while :)

Even better than "Super Dash Jewel Fun Extreme Pudding Chef"???

#14 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

I sorta liked Tradewinds Legends.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#15 dorkhero

dorkhero

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on March 14th 2008, 10:40 AM, said:

Even better than "Super Dash Jewel Fun Extreme Pudding Chef"???

I'm going to buy it, and give it a try, but it's going to have to be pretty good to beat my current favorite:

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space -

http://www.shrapnelg...rd_worlds/1.htm

#16 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

^old school.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#17 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

So instead of making fun of the low number of Mac games coming out now a days how about we discuss the game, anyone else bought it? Are we missing out on not having the multiplayer?

#18 txa1265

txa1265

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Good gravy ... this will now be the *6th* copy of this game for me ... (PSP, 2x DS (one for me, one for kids), PC, Wii and now Mac).  Crazy good.
Dopelar effect (n.)  The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.

#19 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8287 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

View PostHansi, on March 15th 2008, 06:54 PM, said:

So instead of making fun of the low number of Mac games coming out now a days how about we discuss the game, anyone else bought it? Are we missing out on not having the multiplayer?
Yep, bought it too. I was thinking about getting it for the DS first (it's been released not that long here in Germany), but since the Mac version is about half the price (due to the $ exchange ratio at the moment) it went for that.

The first impression was... horrible. Not since the game is so crap, but simply because it didn't run. The screen went black and – crash. I deleted and reinstalled the game three times, contacted the support and for some bizarre reason, it now works miraculously. :glare: So much for another great Cider experience.

However, the game works now and is fun. The missing of the multiplayer mode doesn't faze me too much, it's just irritating that TransGaming advertises this mode in the blurb:

To advance their character, players battle in turn-based, head-to-head "match-three" style puzzle games in one of three distinct gameplay modes. ... Multiplayer allows gamers to battle live opponents -- victory will advance the player's hero, magical arsenal, creature companions and more, ultimately rewarding gamers at nearly every turn.
(Emphasis by me.)

But that's not the only thing left out: there's no gamepad support (which the PC version has) and support for resolutions above 1024x768 (which I think the PC has).

#20 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 16th 2008, 03:17 PM, said:

But that's not the only thing left out: there's no gamepad support (which the PC version has) and support for resolutions above 1024x768 (which I think the PC has).

Switching res works fine for me, running at 1440x900 on a MBP.