the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

View Postmaccer, on March 30th 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postrob_ART, on March 25th 2008, 08:17 PM, said:

I got involved in some other testing and dropped the ball. Let me compile all the results I have so far tomorrow and then I can give you an estimate.
I have heard that everything is big in America, but I didn't know that the days were this much longer over there :blink:
I'm sure he was using dog tomorrows when he gave that estimate.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#82 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

Wouldn't that mean that the days are shorter?

It might be more realistic to say that he lives on a planet with a slower rotational velocity.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#83 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:53 AM

no no, dog years are shorter, but dog tomorrows are human days from the point of view of the dog. because otherwise the sun would have to come up and go down many many times for us to have a single day.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#84 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:41 AM

Great, the benchmarks are up now for CPU and GPU! The new 2,4 GHz model is a bit too slow compared to the old 2,4 model (unless the results are part of an April's fool's joke :lol:) so I think I'll skip these models and wait for the next upgrade. I don't feel like paying extra for the middle model since it isn't that much faster than my current 2,33 GHz model anyway and I can play Colin, TFT and Wingnuts 2 just fine with this computer.

However, I need to do something about my current computer since I'm running out of disk space. I have instead ordered Leopard (I'm looking forward to having Force Feedback in CMR Rally) and will format / re-install the system. I'll probably need to make a smaller Windows partition than what I currently have. I though I would install many games on it, but to date I have only BF2142 which hardly needs 70 GB.

#85 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

As "maccer" pointed out, the results for the 2008 MacBook Pros are posted for CPU and GPU including some OS X 3D Games.

I haven't posted the Windows XP results for UT3, etc. I was hoping to get results for more models of MacBook Pro before posting that but I might just post what I have early next week. Some of those results have already been posted on this thread.

If one of you has a 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, I need you to re-run the Cinebench 10 test for me. The results seem too low -- especially when a 2008 MacBook 2.4GHz got over 5000 rating for the CPU render test. (I borrowed that model but no longer have it.)
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#86 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:34 AM

I started playing Gears of War for the first time on a 30" HP LP3065 LCD screen.  While the native resolution of the display is 2560x1600, Gears looks fair at 1400x900 because of the superfluous pixels helping out with the interpolation (and Gears runs at 25-35 fps with everything cranked).  Gorgeous display, though--makes the MacBook Pro's LED-backlit panel look all washed out, a hair blue-ish, and nasty.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#87 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

FYI, I tested 4GB of the CL4 low latency memory on my 2008 MacBook Pro 2.6 compared to 4GB of the CL5 memory.

Some apps run slightly slower. Some apps slightly faster. Overall, no difference. Save your money. Get the CL5 Patriot memory they sell really cheap at Frys Electronics or OWC.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com