102 replies to this topic

#1 Gamecuber

Gamecuber

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

I have a G5 iMac at 2.1Ghz and 2.5Gb of RAM (128Mb x600 ATI card). I just wanted to know whether anyone is running Civ4 on this kind of setup and whether performance is good. I've run the demo, and it runs perfectly at my native resolution of 1680x1050. Of course, the demo is limited and I can imagine that when you advance a bit further things might become so slow or even unplayable. So if anyone has played the full game on a G5 iMac, please give some feedback.

Also, I've seen on the official site that there's a new expansion pack for Civ4, next to the previous pack (Warlords). It's called "Beyond the sword". Anything on the Mac version ?  For one thing, the Civ4 Gold only contains the Warlords expansion pack. Thx a bunch !

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

Civ IV tends to bog down in the end-game (on all machines), but it should remain playable on your setup.

Regarding that "Beyond the Sword" expansion, you've hit a sensitive spot there. There is still no news on a Mac version yet...  :angry:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

Civ4: BtS...

AAAAAARRRRRRRGH!

#4 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

Civ4: BtS .....

KHHHHHHAAAAAAN!
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#5 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

If Firaxis does do a third expansion pack for Civ 4, they should incorporate a space battle with your spaceships a la Star Trek II.

#6 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on February 25th 2008, 07:56 PM, said:

If Firaxis does do a third expansion pack for Civ 4, they should incorporate a space battle with your spaceships a la Star Trek II.

Just for me, just for little ol' me?   :blush:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:56 AM

View PostRanger_Joe, on February 26th 2008, 01:56 AM, said:

You know that there's a space colonisation scenario in BtS?

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Gamecuber

Gamecuber

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

Errmm... did I miss something ?   :unsure:
I did indeed hit a nerve here by asking about Beyond the Sword. To be honest, I never gave a toss about civilization before. I played Civ2 back in my PC days, but I found it to be extremely boring. But I recently gave the Civ4 demo a try and to my surprise, I liked the game. The reason why I hadn't tried it before, is because until a month ago, I was on a Quicksilver Powermac G4/800 so any more or less recent games were a big no-no. I bought the iMac second-hand and am very happy with it.
But anyway, apparently, that BtS expansion must have been released quite some time ago, as everyone seems so worked up about it.
For one thing, if Aspyr decides to release the pack after all, I hope they don't make it Intel only. Then I might go "AAArrgghhh" as well...

#9 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:08 AM

View PostGamecuber, on February 26th 2008, 04:03 AM, said:

But anyway, apparently, that BtS expansion must have been released quite some time ago, as everyone seems so worked up about it.
For one thing, if Aspyr decides to release the pack after all, I hope they don't make it Intel only. Then I might go "AAArrgghhh" as well...

It's unlikely that they would release it as Intel Only, since all the other releases have been universal binary.

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

I've pretty much given up on the expansion, but I wish Aspyr would just tell us that it's definitely not coming.

#11 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

View PostCougar, on February 26th 2008, 01:12 PM, said:

I've pretty much given up on the expansion, but I wish Aspyr would just tell us that it's definitely not coming.
Agreed.  By bringing us the original Civ IV and the first expansion pack, Warlords, Aspyr has created an expectation among its users.  I think they owe it to us to say one way or another if its coming.

#12 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on February 26th 2008, 03:11 PM, said:

Agreed.  By bringing us the original Civ IV and the first expansion pack, Warlords, Aspyr has created an expectation among its users.  I think they owe it to us to say one way or another if its coming.

Yeah, but they also built up the expectation that they'd have older games available as digital downloads upgraded for OS X/Universal, Deus Ex, etc. With all the stuff that's gone on between Aspyr, MacSoft (NWN Tookit Fiasco) & MacPlay (IWD expansion, etc) dropping the ball, it's amazing that any of us are still here to game on the Mac. This is the most likely reason that when I get my new iMac, I'm going to partition the drive and install Vista just for games.

#13 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

As I've said countless times before: Glenda said that they want to revisit the civ franchise. I looked everywhere for this citation, but I can't find it anywhere. You'll just have to take my word for it.

That and, they still have ETQW in the pipe, and NWN2 just finished. So maybe they're going to make BtS next? (although keep in mind, that Warlords apparently didn't sell well. So maybe a petition will help them decide, eh?)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 27th 2008, 07:03 PM, said:

As I've said countless times before: Glenda said that they want to revisit the civ franchise. I looked everywhere for this citation, but I can't find it anywhere. You'll just have to take my word for it.
Actually, I know these posts, too but seriously: it's getting pretty old. The PC version has been released last July that's far beyond the usual six months delay. And apart from pretty vague promises that Aspyr would like to do it, we have had zilch. If I would be more inclined to re-boot my MBP into Windows, I would probably already have bought the Civ IV Complete edition for measly 30 .

Sorry, Glenda, should you read this: we are really getting a bit frustrated here on this topic...

That and, they still have ETQW in the pipe, and NWN2 just finished. So maybe they're going to make BtS next?
You mean, after those and CoD 4, Sims Castaway Stories and other titles that they haven't announced yet?

(... So maybe a petition will help them decide, eh?)
Yeah, sure. Especially when you consider how much companies gave a yotz about online petitions in the past.

#15 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Just don't think it's necessary to be pessimistic. Yes, it's been a long time. But that's mac gaming for ya.
QC.

#16 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 27th 2008, 01:03 PM, said:

That and, they still have ETQW in the pipe, and NWN2 just finished. So maybe they're going to make BtS next? (although keep in mind, that Warlords apparently didn't sell well. So maybe a petition will help them decide, eh?)

Where did you get sales figures for Warlords?
Edward

#17 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

I didn't. it was from a discussion on a CoD4 announcement thread, someone mentioned it. which reminds me I should probably check my sources, but it doesn't seem like an unlikely thing.. ah well.
QC.

#18 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

I'd love for us to do Civ: BTS for Mac.  I can't say absolutely we'll never do it (thank goodness!) but also can't say 100% we are going to do it.  There are non-technical reasons it hasn't come to the Mac yet, and being in Development, those are out of my control, unfortunately.  In a perfect world we'd have ported it and released it simultaneous with the PC (which we could have done technically), but for no single person's or company's fault it didn't happen that way.  

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#19 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

*sigh*

So we're still left in dark... :glare: Even if not to spite us, that's extremely unsatisfactory.

#20 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

I have come to the ultimate conclusion in the mac gaming world, if such a world exists:

It sucks to make games for mac, in any kind of way. This problem transcends technical specifications, both software and hardware-wise.
QC.