81 replies to this topic

#41 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

"fabforrest... I was wrong - you CAN control individual soldiers!

Simply select a squad then press "C" to disband the squad - you can then click on individual soldiers and control them, give them specific movement orders or put them in a certain 'formation' (e.g. defensive = crawl). You can also then form smaller squads out of these disbanded soldiers by shift+clicking on those you want to select and use the "C" key to form a new (smaller) squad.

I used it in my current game to select a German officer, and I got him to crawl ahead and use his binoculars to spy-out some Russian AT units up ahead, without having his entire squad being spotted along with him. I also took all the MG units from 4 squads and put them together in a new MG unit and moved them into a strategically placed house to give covering fire."

interesting, thanks.  clever of you to form that MG unit.

#42 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

Am I missing something here? I downloaded Blitzkrieg and have noticed that the game will not start if I do not have my internet connection on. Is this true for any of you also? Does this game require an online check everytime I run it? If so, this a major bummer.

#43 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

Crud, I can't get by the second mission for the Germans.  I clear the sentry, but lose units taking out the first line of trenches w/ the art support.  Then, I can't get near the second line of trenches because I keep getting clobbered by their art.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#44 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:00 AM

View Postdojoboy, on May 5th 2008, 11:16 PM, said:

Crud, I can't get by the second mission for the Germans.  I clear the sentry, but lose units taking out the first line of trenches w/ the art support.  Then, I can't get near the second line of trenches because I keep getting clobbered by their art.

I recall this being an oddly hard one, so early on. From memory, I think I just repeatedly bombarded their lines after taking out the sentry. Try detaching an officer from one of your squads and get him to crawl hear to the bridge so you can accurately hit the first line of trenches, using his ("X" key) binoculars. Also, look at the mini-map to see where their artillery is firing from (the orange ripple/circles) and try bombarding their - blindly - if you have the artillery range to do this.

I'm now up to the Battle of the Bulge, 1944, as Germans counterattacking near Bastogne, with core units comprising 4 x Panthers, 1 x Tiger, 1 x Tiger II, and 1 x 88 AA, 2 x 150mm artillery. I have something like 50 additional units to work with - including a Panzer VIII Maus. There are so many US Shermans, it's a bit of a nightmare, and they have been pounding my lines with some 155mm artillery...
"At 20 years of age the will reigns, at 30 the wit, at 40 the judgment." - Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790) US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer

#45 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:12 AM

View Postfrunobulax, on May 6th 2008, 07:00 AM, said:

I recall this being an oddly hard one, so early on. From memory, I think I just repeatedly bombarded their lines after taking out the sentry. Try detaching an officer from one of your squads and get him to crawl hear to the bridge so you can accurately hit the first line of trenches, using his ("X" key) binoculars. Also, look at the mini-map to see where their artillery is firing from (the orange ripple/circles) and try bombarding their - blindly - if you have the artillery range to do this.

I'm now up to the Battle of the Bulge, 1944, as Germans counterattacking near Bastogne, with core units comprising 4 x Panthers, 1 x Tiger, 1 x Tiger II, and 1 x 88 AA, 2 x 150mm artillery. I have something like 50 additional units to work with - including a Panzer VIII Maus. There are so many US Shermans, it's a bit of a nightmare, and they have been pounding my lines with some 155mm artillery...

Bombard w/ what?  My tanks don't seem effective.

#46 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:39 AM

View Postdojoboy, on May 6th 2008, 12:12 PM, said:

Bombard w/ what?  My tanks don't seem effective.

Haven't you any artillery?
"At 20 years of age the will reigns, at 30 the wit, at 40 the judgment." - Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790) US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer

#47 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

View Postfrunobulax, on May 6th 2008, 07:39 AM, said:

Haven't you any artillery?

I've got 3 tanks, mech, 2 engineer trucks, and a supply truck - along w/ infantry and command.

I replayed it some this morning and have successfully crossed the bridge - which is where I've reached before prior to things collapsing.

When you suggest crawling a sniper or infantry to use binocs, how are you doing that?  I don't see a button for crawling.  I know they crawl when in the line of fire, but... .

#48 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

View Postdojoboy, on May 6th 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

When you suggest crawling a sniper or infantry to use binocs, how are you doing that?  I don't see a button for crawling.  I know they crawl when in the line of fire, but... .

(From memory) use the "E" key to crawl, then "X" + "click" to stop and use binoculars to look in a particular direction. A normal squad (which has an officer with it) can do the same, but a full squad is obviously more noticeable to the enemy.

Glad you made it over the bridge.

Are you using the "R" key to get tanks to hit specific targets? I use this, and slow the game down to -5 (use the +/- keys), when I'm in a firestorm! In the "A" (aggressive attack) mode it often seems that tanks orientate themselves to fire on infantry with their MGs when there are art., AT or mortar units ahead, and thereby expose their flanks or back where their armour is weaker. Prioritize your tanks to "R" target attack any art., AT or mortar units, then mop up the infantry, as they won't be doing so much damage with rifle/MG fire.

If you have a weakened tank, use "Q" to force a retreat (click behind it to force a reverse rather than an 'about face') so it doesn't keep re-engaging enemy units. There's always a small risk - despite your best efforts - that it will do an about face and expose it's flank.

#49 AndyMac

AndyMac

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

View PostOsgoodShepard, on May 5th 2008, 10:37 PM, said:

Am I missing something here? I downloaded Blitzkrieg and have noticed that the game will not start if I do not have my internet connection on. Is this true for any of you also? Does this game require an online check everytime I run it? If so, this a major bummer.

No, certainly doesn't need an online connection, not even for initial authorisation I don't think (just entry of the key code emailed after purchase). You sure you haven't got something else going on on your system; are you getting any particular message ?

Repeating a question of mine from before, has anyone else got scrambled dates/times (and therefore scrambled order) in their game save/load screen ?  It's not a huge problem, just anxious to know whether it's only my install.

And still getting the occasional freeze or crash to desktop (though no more than many other games that where supposedly stable).
G5 Dual 2.7, 2.5GB, 10.4.11

#50 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:13 AM

View PostAndyMac, on May 6th 2008, 08:32 PM, said:

Repeating a question of mine from before, has anyone else got scrambled dates/times (and therefore scrambled order) in their game save/load screen ?  It's not a huge problem, just anxious to know whether it's only my install. And still getting the occasional freeze or crash to desktop (though no more than many other games that where supposedly stable).
Yes, same for me with save game dates/list order. I've had a couple of crashes, but nothing major, usually because of rapid button clicking

#51 jfoj

jfoj

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hey all! Just joined, coming out of Sacramento CA. Power Mac G5 2 x 1.8ghz 1.25gb ram

Right now I'm trying to beat operation Typhoon (Germany) i think its the 5th or 6th mission. Having a tough time. Every time when i start my northern assault i complete it successfully but end up with only 2 or 3 tanks, which are destroyed 100 meters down the road by an ambush of Russian tanks and armored vehicles. Any suggestions??

The southern part goes fine, mainly because of the artillery. I end up next to the SE depot with about 7 tanks, and all my infantry, but then have problems around E main depot, with those two god damn 25mm at's. They wipe out about 4 of my tanks. The remaining 3 get wiped out between the E Depot and the train station (there is a huge russian tank on one of the E-W roads (in the city), and its sandbagged so its impossible to destroy - take care!)

??

#52 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:39 AM

[quote name='AndyMac' date='May 6th 2008, 02:32 PM' post='346614']
No, certainly doesn't need an online connection, not even for initial authorisation I don't think (just entry of the key code emailed after purchase). You sure you haven't got something else going on on your system; are you getting any particular message ?
Repeating a question of mine from before, has anyone else got scrambled dates/times (and therefore scrambled order) in their game save/load screen ?  It's not a huge problem, just anxious to know whether it's only my install.

I am also getting scrambled dates on my save files  which means I now name the save files with the date as part of the name.

I still cannot start a game without an internet connection. I have tried reinstalling and this did not solve the problem. I have notified Deliver2Mac but they are not the programmers and cannot address this issue. If there is a system problem, I cannot figure out what it could be. I use OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 MDD. I will try another reinstall with my firewall down and see it that makes a difference.

#53 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

View Postjfoj, on May 12th 2008, 05:31 PM, said:

Hey all! Just joined, coming out of Sacramento CA. Power Mac G5 2 x 1.8ghz 1.25gb ram

Welcome to the best darn Mac gaming forum this side of, well, anywhere! Sacramento always brings back fond memories of my one and only traffic accident ... 10PM, raining, me driving 26' rental truck down to Phoenix from Vancouver, the woman who made an illegal left turn behind me and tried to pass me on the right as I made a right turn into a motel ... ah, the crunchy memories.

PS. We both got a ticket from a nice State trooper. Mine for a dangerous right hand turn, hers for making an illegal left turn. The rental truck won, btw.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#54 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on May 13th 2008, 08:55 AM, said:

Welcome to the best darn Mac gaming forum this side of, well, anywhere!
::tBC removes the shotgun that was duct taped to the back of Davey's head::

Ya did good Lenny, ya did good.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#55 jfoj

jfoj

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome partners.

Just installed several mods for the game. Highly recommend the "Final Cut" Stalingrad chapter from BK portal, its under chapters and campaigns. Loads of fun, although challenging as hell.

#56 iblisajinn

iblisajinn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on May 2nd 2008, 11:35 AM, said:

Holy cow iblisajinn, you are a newbie with 2 posts who joined in 2002.  I wish you'd quit flooding the forum with your endless chatter!  I call post counting!

Here's Post #3. :happy:

I'm hoping to reach ten posts by the end of the decade...

#57 etehoy

etehoy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

How does this baby run on a 2.16 GHz macbook w/ 2 GB of RAM. the site does claim that Blitzkrieg recognizes the famously putrid Intel GMA 950 graphics processor. Does anyone have any experiences to share.

thx,
Peter

#58 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks iblisajinn for mentioning (again) that mods seem to be working in the Mac version. AFter giving the PC version of World in Conflict a whirl last night and not really enjoying it, I may have to bite the bullet and buy this one for Mac.

Anyone warn me off it? Or say go for it?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#59 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on May 15th 2008, 10:35 AM, said:

Thanks iblisajinn for mentioning (again) that mods seem to be working in the Mac version.
Oh don't go encouraging him!  You heard what he said!  10 posts by the end of the decade!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#60 Kirk Staley

Kirk Staley

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

View Postetehoy, on May 15th 2008, 12:57 PM, said:

How does this baby run on a 2.16 GHz macbook w/ 2 GB of RAM. the site does claim that Blitzkrieg recognizes the famously putrid Intel GMA 950 graphics processor. Does anyone have any experiences to share.

thx,
Peter
etehoy, I tested this game, and it run pretty well with 1 GB of RAM.