#21 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

View Postbismilah, on April 27th 2008, 03:42 PM, said:

Just got it and I have to say that I am really impressed by the gameplay.
Turns on: good FPS and nice graphics
Turns off: no widescreen support
In my opinion, this is the best game released from Virtual Programing.

Is there a windowed mode? Can you pause the action to look over everything and plan your next move? And if you can't pause then can you slow down the game speed ala Warcraft 3?

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#22 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

View PostTacohead, on April 28th 2008, 07:41 PM, said:

Is there a windowed mode? Can you pause the action to look over everything and plan your next move? And if you can't pause then can you slow down the game speed ala Warcraft 3?

-PN
Yes, there is one. It is annoying that you have to choose the mode each time you start. At least you can choose

Yes, you can pause but you cannot slowdown the game. While pause, you can look everywhere but some long range enemies will be invisible. You can pause, click a unit, select an action then unpause the game; the unit will execute the order.

#23 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

I have barely looked at the game but have already discovered this:

Blitzkrieg must be loaded into the Applications menu to work.
It may allow mods. Check out http://bkportal.com/ for maps & mods. Maybe someone can try it out and see if they work on a Mac.

#24 Zama

Zama

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Anyone else  having a problem with getting artillery to work properly? Having the artillery lined up properly seems to be very important. There is a Turn Curser command that is suppose to allow you to re align artillery, but I have had very limited luck. Sometimes it works but most of the time it does not. If your not aligned properly then fire missions just don't happen. Artillery is very critical to success in my limited experience so this is very frustrating. Anyone have any suggestions?

Graphics are also very basic and I seem to have intermittent lines. I'm going to reduce the resolution to se if that solves any of my problems.

MAC Pro
4 GB Memory
30 inch monitor
NVIDA 8800GT

#25 AndyMac

AndyMac

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:33 AM

Very tempted by this release - it looks very similar to the old 'Close Combat' series, which were quite good fun (one or two of which were ported to Mac); I'm wondering how Blitzkrieg compares ?

Amazon seem to have shifted quite a few boxed copies now, but I guess I'd be looking at the Deliver2Mac download - anyone who's already purchased the download care to comment on how long the download took and whether they had any problems with the Deliver2Mac servers ?
G5 Dual 2.7, 2.5GB, 10.4.11

#26 Zama

Zama

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

View PostAndyMac, on April 29th 2008, 08:33 AM, said:

Very tempted by this release - it looks very similar to the old 'Close Combat' series, which were quite good fun (one or two of which were ported to Mac); I'm wondering how Blitzkrieg compares ?

Amazon seem to have shifted quite a few boxed copies now, but I guess I'd be looking at the Deliver2Mac download - anyone who's already purchased the download care to comment on how long the download took and whether they had any problems with the Deliver2Mac servers ?

I got my copy from Deliver2Mac and don't remeber any big issues with the speed of the download. The only problem I had was that the download did not come with a manual. I sent them an email and within 30 minutes I had the manual and this was on a Sunday afternoon (US time). They did not know why the manual had not been included and indicated they were going to look into it.

#27 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

Is the editor functionality included? Can we make new battles etc????

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#28 AndyMac

AndyMac

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

View PostZama, on May 1st 2008, 01:25 AM, said:

I got my copy from Deliver2Mac and don't remeber any big issues with the speed of the download. The only problem I had was that the download did not come with a manual. I sent them an email and within 30 minutes I had the manual and this was on a Sunday afternoon (US time). They did not know why the manual had not been included and indicated they were going to look into it.
Thanks for that - I'd already given in to temptation and downloaded it, in point of fact, it came down almost at my full bandwidth (not the fastest broadband around, and then via my Airport network) till it was about 75% done, then slowed right down just to irritate! But only around 45' in all.

I did get a manual in my resultant disk image. And since I was net-connected on first launch, the game checked and offered to update to a newer version and relaunch immediately (Specified fixes only seemed to apply to some potential key registration problems).

View PostDaveyJJ, on May 1st 2008, 02:47 AM, said:

Is the editor functionality included? Can we make new battles etc????
Nothing included, nor mentioned in the manual, relating to editors. Though as someone mentioned above I think, we may be able to use the various PC stuff that's presumably floating around; the Mac ports of X2 and Age of Empires (various versions), for example, have handled PC maps ok for me in the past.

View PostZama, on April 29th 2008, 03:13 AM, said:

Anyone else  having a problem with getting artillery to work properly? Having the artillery lined up properly seems to be very important. There is a Turn Curser command that is suppose to allow you to re align artillery, but I have had very limited luck. Sometimes it works but most of the time it does not. If your not aligned properly then fire missions just don't happen. Artillery is very critical to success in my limited experience so this is very frustrating. Anyone have any suggestions?

Graphics are also very basic and I seem to have intermittent lines. I'm going to reduce the resolution to se if that solves any of my problems.
Have to say I've noticed none of the above so far, graphics fine (standard Apple Cinema and shipped ATI Radeon 9650 on my G5), and the Turn command, both button and key shortcut, seems to be fine on artillery, tanks and trucks for me. Haven't started a campaign yet though, just tutorial and one of the individual missions.

The one problem I did have, that initially had me scratching my head a bit, was that this PC to Mac port, unlike I think any other I've come across, looks for CMD(Apple)/Click as 'Right-Click', and as it seems to turn out, always treats CTRL as 'Force-Attack'; and since my Logitech 7-button mouse has right-click set to CTRL-Click (which is fine, and I think correct, for all other uses far as I know), I was finding that trying to get a unit to 'Follow' another as instructed in the tutorial actually ended up causing the 'follower' to *destroy* the 'followed' ! Not very helpful - and I also couldn't get, eg, artillery to hook up to trucks. Eventually found by trial and error that CMD-Click got the correct default behaviour to happen in these circumstances, so guess I'll just change my mouse right-click default every time before playing Blitzkrieg. Can't remember ever having to do this before though  :huh: .

#29 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:17 AM

View PostZama, on April 29th 2008, 03:13 AM, said:

Anyone else  having a problem with getting artillery to work properly...anyone have any suggestions?

I downloaded Blitzkrieg last night - took almost 3 hours on a fast modem - it's just over 1.2Gb of data!!

Anyway, by midnight I was up and running and played through the tutorials and then the first German mission, Fall Weiß (Invasion of Poland). I found it to run very well with no issues on my system (iMac 2.16GHz Core2 Duo, Mac OS 10.4.10, 2Gb RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 256Mb VRAM). Overall the graphics looked very good, no errors, although the troop units are so tiny!

About artillery, it took me a while to get a handle on how best to use them, especially hooking/unhooking my 105mm howitzers (the units i first started with) to their carriers, and then deploying/rotating them. One thing that seems critical in rotating the guns, in the general direction you want to point them, is moving their carriers out of the way first - when you unhook the guns from the carriers and then try and rotate the guns, it's often the case that the carrier is simply in the way. Not sure if this is a bug as such, just an extra bit of housekeeping when you deploy artillery. Also - make sure you deploy them within range of any likely targets - use the alt+R key to check this.

I think the artillery have been - so far in my first game at least - the most effective units I have. I got into the habit of calling in a recon. plane before doing anything at the start of a game and checking out any likely enemy positions, or buzzing my mission targets at the very least. Also, it was useful getting into the habit of assigning a keyboard shortcut number ("1") to the artillery (using the ctrl key), making it possible to quickly call in fire support as soon as my scouts or troops came upon any enemy tanks, AA units, bunkers or AT units - I can just go "1" + "X" + click on target for a 'zeroed-in' strike, then "1" + "W" to cease fire quickly (so no friendly fire!) My engineer units were also valuable in quickly repairing my Panzer IIs after a bout of action, so as not to run out of ammo or risk losing a recently promoted unit that was low on hit points.

In a nutshell my order of battle is: air recon/scout, artillery/air strike, tanks (aggressive formation), troops (aggressive/storm buildings), [post action] engineers (repair/resupply), redeploy artillery.

Anyway, I've only played about 3 hours worth, but my first impressions are very positive.
"At 20 years of age the will reigns, at 30 the wit, at 40 the judgment." - Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790) US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer

#30 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:15 AM

View Postfrunobulax, on May 1st 2008, 07:17 AM, said:

Anyway, I've only played about 3 hours worth, but my first impressions are very positive.

Just think how many papers you could've graded?  

I'm sitting on 80 essays right now, must...start...grading...soon.   :wall:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#31 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

View Postdojoboy, on May 1st 2008, 03:15 PM, said:

Just think how many papers you could've graded?  I'm sitting on 80 essays right now, must...start...grading...soon.   :wall:

:happy: Hah!
Hi dojo - yes, it's that time of year again. I have about 40 or so to mark in the next 10 days.

It's 3am... but... just... one... more... turn...  I'm sure Patton or Rommel didn't have this problem!
"At 20 years of age the will reigns, at 30 the wit, at 40 the judgment." - Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790) US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer

#32 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

so, you control the individual units?

#33 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:35 AM

View Postfabforrest, on May 2nd 2008, 12:45 AM, said:

You don't control individual soldiers but sections of 10, which can be regular infantry sections, assault sections, AT teams, commandos etc.
However, you do control individual tanks, artillery units, transports etc. - which can be grouped together if necessary.

For example, the weapons for an Early UK Infantry Section (1941) consist of 1 x Webley & Scott Revolver and 9 x Lee Enfield Rifles,
whereas an Early Assault Section (1942) consists of 1 x Webley & Scott Revolver, 3 x Lee Enfield Rifles, 5 x Sten II Submachine guns and 1 x Bren MkI MG.

There's some good info on unit types at http://www.blitzkrie...age=blitz2-70-2  (look under Encyclopedia)

#34 iblisajinn

iblisajinn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

View PostAndyMac, on April 29th 2008, 07:33 AM, said:

I loved the old Close Combat series as well, and it does share many similarities.  It's a similar 2D landscape (although it apparently has terrain features that are modeled as "can't see through this tile") and has the progression from mission to mission.  Units seem pretty accurately modeled although they do have some quirks.  

It doesn't have the same "morale" idea that CC used, although units do seem to move away at times; controlling infantry seems to be a matter of either crawling at the enemy or assaulting them without a lot of fine control.  It seems more focused on task force battles rather than the infantry occasionally supported by armor that CC was.  You also may control more units (vs. the 9+6 of CC).  Artillery is a powerful addition (maybe too powerful). Aviation is supported, where you may call recon, fighters, bombers, or airdrops to a certain area (which may be shot down by AAA or other fighters) but don't control them directly.

All in all, from what I've seen it's a very good game.  My two cents on first impression, anyway.

#35 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

Holy cow iblisajinn, you are a newbie with 2 posts who joined in 2002.  I wish you'd quit flooding the forum with your endless chatter!  I call post counting!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#36 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

I guess someone remembered his password :D

for staying on topic: I guess I never got into CC. I never got the jist of it.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#37 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on May 2nd 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

I guess someone remembered his password :D

for staying on topic: I guess I never got into CC. I never got the jist of it.

Off Topic ... I wish I could remember my original DavidJJ password from July 31 '01. December 9 '03 = newbie.

[Edit - I could help you get it back but then you would have two accounts and I would have to delete one! - tBC]

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#38 AndyMac

AndyMac

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

View Postiblisajinn, on May 2nd 2008, 08:20 PM, said:

I loved the old Close Combat series as well, and it does share many similarities.  It's a similar 2D landscape (although it apparently has terrain features that are modeled as "can't see through this tile") and has the progression from mission to mission.  Units seem pretty accurately modeled although they do have some quirks.  

It doesn't have the same "morale" idea that CC used, although units do seem to move away at times; controlling infantry seems to be a matter of either crawling at the enemy or assaulting them without a lot of fine control.  It seems more focused on task force battles rather than the infantry occasionally supported by armor that CC was.  You also may control more units (vs. the 9+6 of CC).  Artillery is a powerful addition (maybe too powerful). Aviation is supported, where you may call recon, fighters, bombers, or airdrops to a certain area (which may be shot down by AAA or other fighters) but don't control them directly.

All in all, from what I've seen it's a very good game.  My two cents on first impression, anyway.

Yeah, I'm missing the 'Morale' factor; I seem to remember that in CC units and squads would lose 'morale' the more 'tired' they got, which realistically stopped you abusing them by just repeatedly chucking them into the fray, and made you think more carefully about how and when you where going to use them. You had alot more info about individual unit weapons and ammo, as well. But no resupply far as I can recall, the supply concept in Blitzkrieg's a good idea.

You're right about the Artillery though, I'm finding most missions become a question of 'spot the enemy for the Artillery'; maybe the real thing was alot like that ?

Is anyone else finding that the date and time info for the saves, when looked at within Blitzkrieg's Save/Load screen, is completely scrambled ? Or is it just me ?

Had one or two crashes as well, I think mostly after much quick clicking. Anyone else ?

#39 frunobulax

frunobulax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

View Postfabforrest, on May 2nd 2008, 12:45 AM, said:

fabforrest... I was wrong - you CAN control individual soldiers!

Simply select a squad then press "C" to disband the squad - you can then click on individual soldiers and control them, give them specific movement orders or put them in a certain 'formation' (e.g. defensive = crawl). You can also then form smaller squads out of these disbanded soldiers by shift+clicking on those you want to select and use the "C" key to form a new (smaller) squad.

I used it in my current game to select a German officer, and I got him to crawl ahead and use his binoculars to spy-out some Russian AT units up ahead, without having his entire squad being spotted along with him. I also took all the MG units from 4 squads and put them together in a new MG unit and moved them into a strategically placed house to give covering fire.

#40 m_yrsky

m_yrsky

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:08 AM

Is this worth buing? I have some reservations because game is 5 years old (released for pc at Spring 2003). Is there anything that should compel me from not choosing to run the pc-version on boot camp?