DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

View PostFrigidman, on March 16th 2008, 05:10 PM, said:

Yeah, it seems that happens to some people and not others. Why? Good question!

Working now.  If you shook or kicked something, thanks.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

View PostFrigidman, on March 16th 2008, 02:10 PM, said:

... or maybe it's just using more dhtml to make things blink.
OMGZ!!  You mean this whole time you could have been making everything blink and you HAVEN'T???!!??
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

The <blink> tag doesn't even work on Safari.  I am immune to your evil blinking!

Anyway, the less Web 2.0, the better.

--Eric

#24 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:35 AM

I would like to be able to click the links that are posted in the "news" threads, instead of having to go to the front page, and click there.

I know it would need a technical workaround, but I only want to visit the main page, if there are previews/reviews/etc. The news stuff I want to be able to enjoy fully on the boards.. (although I understand if it's because of commercial reasons)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#25 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 17th 2008, 02:35 AM, said:

I would like to be able to click the links that are posted in the "news" threads, instead of having to go to the front page, and click there.

I know it would need a technical workaround, but I only want to visit the main page, if there are previews/reviews/etc. The news stuff I want to be able to enjoy fully on the boards.. (although I understand if it's because of commercial reasons)
You mean the sometimes few links on the bottom of the full article page on IMG proper? I forget why I didn't include those in the forum-transfer of news articles. Most likely it was a nightmare of some sort and didn't want to touch it. If its an issue, we can look into doing that.

I think on the drawing board we had figured the forum posting of the article is the 'last step' someone ends up... because it is where you are taken if you click on "Comment on this Story" or "Read X Comments". Being the last stage, we didn't include EVERYTHING that is in the article, more of a reference of the text of what people would be commenting about.

Of course, all those news article forum posts show up in the "New Posts" listing, so those who use forums first, tend to find the articles first that way, and then have to end up clicking over to IMG proper to see the links on the bottom of the article. Sort of going backwards than what we originally intended.

We can look into getting those links added to the forum posts.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

I always read the news from the forums.  I'd like to see those extra links too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

cool, that would be fantastic.
also, would it be possible to make an iPhone version of the board?
like the lo fi version with a search function? (that is "search new posts" function, that makes browsing here faster on a 'pod)

BTW: the above message was typed on my ipod touch. For clarification, for an such a small screen, there is a lot of "clutter" (fine for the large screen version, though). And the lo fi version is fantastic, but lacks the "view new posts" option. So that is my request. A "view new posts" option on the lo fi version.
QC.

#28 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

iPhone or iPod version of the forums... not bloody likely :D

I wouldn't know where to begin redesigning it, and then hacking into the code written entirely by someone else, to rearrange and reformat all the elements while still allowing all the functionality to exist. Then, when I upgrade the forum code with a new version, have to do it all over again :(

Skinning is one thing. Adding News to posts is another. Changing how the entire code renders out on the screen and behaves for a small device? AGH! Sorry.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#29 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

Under reviews where it lets you leave a comment, there should just be a link to a thread for that article.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#30 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:16 AM

View PostFrigidman, on March 18th 2008, 04:19 PM, said:

iPhone or iPod version of the forums... not bloody likely :D

I wouldn't know where to begin redesigning it, and then hacking into the code written entirely by someone else, to rearrange and reformat all the elements while still allowing all the functionality to exist. Then, when I upgrade the forum code with a new version, have to do it all over again :(

Skinning is one thing. Adding News to posts is another. Changing how the entire code renders out on the screen and behaves for a small device? AGH! Sorry.
He's right. For those of you who think that it would be a small thing, it is definitely not a small thing.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#31 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Didn't you listen? I want the lo fi version with one change: the search new posts thing. Set aside that it's for my ipod.

Now I'll understand if making changes to the lo fi version is annoying, and ok. But my main point wasn't "PLS MAEK AN IPOD VERSHUN!"OK!OIO!I§

And another thing: he didn't ask for "whatever we think is doable that we would like on this forum". he asked for "what would we like on this forum/website"
QC.

#32 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

Don't get pissy with me.

-Fm [1oM7]

#33 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

View PostFrigidman, on March 19th 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

Don't get pissy with me.
oh ive done worse.

But in any case, I'll be more than satisfied if the newslinks get ported to the forums.
thanks for asking anyhow.
QC.

#34 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

I think that iPhone/Touch games should have a spot in one of the sub forums, like the puzzle, arcade forum. With iPhone/Touch games becoming more and more popular they should have a place in this site
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#35 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

I agree with Sneaky Snake. I mean, you can argue till youre blue in the face that this is insidemacgames, and even though I could justify that an iPhone is a mac (macs are computers from Apple that primarily run  Mac OSX, the iPhone runs a derivative of Mac OSX and as such can do many of the things a mac can do (copy and paste, woot!!!))

but mainly, its just cos people are gonna want to talk about it on these here forums, specially as more games actually start coming to it once firmware 2.0 is released.

I dont see IMG as a mac gaming conduit, I see it as a place to come and talk about gaming with Apple's products. The name may be stuck in 1994, but the company has moved on.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#36 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on April 5th 2008, 08:30 PM, said:

I think that iPhone/Touch games should have a spot in one of the sub forums, like the puzzle, arcade forum. With iPhone/Touch games becoming more and more popular they should have a place in this site

Absolutely, and not simply because I'm making games for the iPhone/Touch.

Any piece of hardware with an Apple logo on it that's capable of playing games should have a subforum or what-have-you. No, we don;'t need a Pippin forum but obviosuly by the end of 2009 when there will be 40,000,000 touch-enabled game devices from Apple in the hands of people around the world, many of whom want to play fun games on them, this is a place for theme to discuss.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#37 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

This may be the wrong place for this comment but because the IMG site and the MacGameStore site are so closely related I felt it was somewhat appropriate. I have been working on a review for IMG of "Hidden Relics." For all intents and purposes HR is a game for kids. And I would guess (because guessing is all I can do) that a lot of the games on the MGS site are also for kids. But that's only because they seem really simple and kid-friendly, not because they are labeled as such. now, I hate to bite the hand that feeds, but I really think it would be good if "kids' games" or some similar phrase were used as a category on the MGS site. It may be that they just SEEM like kids' games to me, and are in fact just extra-cute casual games. But I'd like to have that clarified if at all possible.

#38 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

View Postalldaveallen, on April 15th 2008, 01:27 PM, said:

This may be the wrong place for this comment but because the IMG site and the MacGameStore site are so closely related I felt it was somewhat appropriate. I have been working on a review for IMG of "Hidden Relics." For all intents and purposes HR is a game for kids. And I would guess (because guessing is all I can do) that a lot of the games on the MGS site are also for kids. But that's only because they seem really simple and kid-friendly, not because they are labeled as such. now, I hate to bite the hand that feeds, but I really think it would be good if "kids' games" or some similar phrase were used as a category on the MGS site. It may be that they just SEEM like kids' games to me, and are in fact just extra-cute casual games. But I'd like to have that clarified if at all possible.

Casual + game = kid game!
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#39 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

View Postdojoboy, on April 15th 2008, 10:43 AM, said:

Casual + game = kid game!

Well, not exactly.  I mean, Tetris was a casual game, but not specifically marketed towards kids. Some of the games on the MGS store, like, say, Fashion Fits, or Dr. Daisy Pet Vet, seem to be really geared toward kids.  Unless I just think that because they don't have big sweaty cyborgs carrying nuclear cannons.