38 replies to this topic

#21 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:11 AM

Just a heads up to everyone, there are is a known problem with Sins causing a severe graphic glitch that makes the game almost unplayable.  On my 2.33ghz MBP I have this issue (no idea if it a specific problem with this model of mac).  Stardock knows about it but they are unsure of a solution.  They are working on it though (I believe).  Honestly I was just overjoyed to have my forum post responded too...so used to getting the cold shoulder when I tell someone I am on a mac.

So yeah, I would recommend finding a friend who has the game before and borrowing it for a few days before going out and purchasing it.  At least if you are on a 2nd gen MBP.  When I posted my problem, the moderator's first question was if I was on a MBP (I did not state what I was using specifically) so this leads me to believe that is a MBP specific issue.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#22 jrnewhouse

jrnewhouse

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 2nd 2008, 01:11 AM, said:

Just a heads up to everyone, there are is a known problem with Sins causing a severe graphic glitch that makes the game almost unplayable.  On my 2.33ghz MBP I have this issue (no idea if it a specific problem with this model of mac).  Stardock knows about it but they are unsure of a solution.  They are working on it though (I believe).  Honestly I was just overjoyed to have my forum post responded too...so used to getting the cold shoulder when I tell someone I am on a mac.

So yeah, I would recommend finding a friend who has the game before and borrowing it for a few days before going out and purchasing it.  At least if you are on a 2nd gen MBP.  When I posted my problem, the moderator's first question was if I was on a MBP (I did not state what I was using specifically) so this leads me to believe that is a MBP specific issue.
It might be.  I've been playing it on a Mac Pro for extended periods, and it has been perfectly stable.
Quad-Core 3.0GHz Mac Pro w/3GB RAM, 500 & 750 GB and 1.0 TB WD Caviar 7200rpm HDs, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT w/512 MB, 20" ACD, Mac OS X 10.6.4

#23 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

View PostBlackshawk, on March 2nd 2008, 12:35 AM, said:

I'm sorry man but Moo3 was just balls-out boring. Moo2 all the way.
moo2 i agree

#24 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 26th 2008, 07:28 PM, said:

Works fantastic on an MBP of the first gen.
So no, its not a mbp thing. might be a nvidia thing, though. Also, more importantly, I am running the bootcamp beta in tiger.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#25 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 3rd 2008, 03:17 AM, said:

So no, its not a mbp thing. might be a nvidia thing, though. Also, more importantly, I am running the bootcamp beta in tiger.

Yeah I wasn't too sure.  I just figured it was kind of the same thing as like EQ2.  EQ2 will not run on my MBP with XP installed due to some memory issue.  However the game runs beautifully with Vista is installed.

I just wanted to throw out a warning to those on a 2nd generation MBP so that they don't end up doing what I did and purchase the game before trying it =p.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#26 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

Thought people might be interested to know that the demo for Sins of a Solar Empire is out:
http://www.gamespot....html?mode=demos
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#27 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:50 AM

im downloading now...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#28 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

No Mac demo AFAICS? I really want to try this out.. :(
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:05 AM

View PostFourth Horseman, on March 21st 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

Thought people might be interested to know that the demo for Sins of a Solar Empire is out:
http://www.gamespot....html?mode=demos

Thanks for the heads up. Here's the Gamers Hell link.

#30 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

if you look on their forums, someone asked "you guys considering a mac version?" they seemed to rule it out pretty firmly, so I wouldnt get my hopes up of a mac version any time soon unless a porting house goes to them.

I quite enjoyed the demo, and was just getting a handle on the situation when i hit the 90 minute time limit. The only real "cheat" ive spotted so far is that the AI seems to start the game with a capital ship, while youve got nothing that even remotely matches up to that. Then when you clear your first system of the stuff thats already there youve got a massive uphill struggle cos both opponents are gonna jump in soon as you colonise that planet and rip you to shreds... is annoying...

the main thing stopping me from buying it is that its only out in the US retail, not on Steam, and their online prices are in excess of that which is on amazon... ill wait for the UK release thanks.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#31 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

Capital ships are pretty easy to build at the start of the game. Only a few minutes. But you still need the other ships for clearing pirates.
QC.

#32 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:49 AM

yeah I didnt realise this. The fact that you have to research all the different types of frigate, but can build all the capital ships from the off set so long as you have the right amount of capital ship crew (one provided at the start) made me think Id have to research the capital ships too... That particular game mechanic doesnt really make too much sense. Perhaps they should only have one kind of capital ship available at the beginning??

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:39 AM

Home World was mentioned. How close is this game to Home World?

BTW, if your Mac only and have not played Home World, and you like RTS, you should give it a shot.

#34 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

not close to homeworld, really.

And HW2 crashes too much, and becomes too slow. Maybe its due to the "complex" mod.. ah well.

And the reason for making every capital ship available is that certain ones dont make sense at the start, like the support ship.

Oh and it is also possible to *never* build noncapital ships. There is an award for this in the full game. (finish a game on hard only with capital ships)

ALSO, there is a perfect defence building set you should build against pirate/computer raids. (the computer tends to rush siege frigates in) Not so many turrets, but hangars + repair thingies, and only turrets for asteroids.  (the repair thingies repair buildings too. hit the alt key or somesuch to see the radius for everything and such) Also, pirates are realistic, in such a way that they don't primarily attack the planet, but the commercial sections, like trade stations, refineries, etc.
QC.

#35 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

I played the Sins demo quite a bit.  At first I didn't like it.  I'm not a real-time fan, and it seemed too much like a click-fest.  After a few games, though, I started to like it more.  Once you learn the controls it really isn't too difficult to manage everything.

I wouldn't call it great, but it's fun.  I think Sins has specific, simple goals it's trying to meet as a game, and it succeeds.  The result is quite entertaining.

#36 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

Sins was fun for a little while, but I think I like Homeworld 2 more.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#37 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

I just tried out the demo for Sins.  It seems frighteningly complicated.  A good game can give rise to very complex strategic play with a mere fraction of the data points that Sins packs in.  I don't see how this can possibly be worth burning the time it would take just to learn how to play it.

#38 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

Sins is one of the easiest ones to learn, atleast for me. Just try out the tutorials, it's not so bad.

(also, you can always concentrate on one way of fighting, the game allows multiple paths to victory)
QC.

#39 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

just tried out the demo for Sins. It seems frighteningly complicated.

It really isn't that bad.  Like I said, it seems very clicky and complicated at first, but it doesn't take long to figure out how everything works, and from that point on the controls are easy.

Actually it's one of the easiest to play real-time games I've tried, partly because it moves at a slow pace and partly because if you forget about units they do reasonable things on their own.  For example, warships will attack enemy ships on their own instead of hovering in one place getting blasted while waiting for you to give attack orders.  If you send a colonizing ship to an empty planet, it will colonize the planet on its own instead of waiting for you to give it a colonize order.

It reminds me a little bit of Pax Imperia 2 from a long time ago.