38 replies to this topic

#1 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:17 AM

Here. No demo yet, but will be in a month or so. (read pennyarcade, of today and yesterday)

It is FANTASTIC fun. It's like a mix between 4x and Homeworld. It's a space RTS on a massive scale. You can develop planets, build structures such as trade stations, fighter docks, etc. Very good resource management, and you can even set pirates on an opposing empire.

Four stars out of five, due to loss of oversight when the game gets going.

Also, since it's stardock, maybe it has a chance of a mac port?
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#2 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:22 AM

I actually picked this up yesterday, but haven't had a chance to really play it since I've had to be at work. I did get to do the first tutorial mission though. I love the look of the game, and I get the impression that this will be kind of a mix of MOO2 and Homeworld. I really hope that's how it ends up playing.

Also, I had some trouble updating the game using Stardock. It seems that sometimes you end up with a registry entry that causes Stardock to think your key code is wrong (or something to that effect). There's a post about it on the official forums, but I don't have the link right now. Once I removed the bad entry, everything worked fine.

Also, anyone interested in doing some multiplayer at some point?

#3 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Attn: Aspyr, Macsoft & Virtual Programming, this is the 4X game to port to the Mac this year!

#4 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

I'm a huge MOO/MOO2 fan, and still play MOO2 to this day, but I'm not much of an RTS fan. Games like C&C just never really did it for me. To those of you that have played Sins: do you think it would appeal to somebody like me? I'm tempted by a modern space 4X game, but I'm a bit scared of the RTS elements. How do you feel the RTS works? Should I gamble and buy it?
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#5 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:35 AM

There is going to be a demo in a month. I'd wait it out.
QC.

#6 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 12th 2008, 01:35 AM, said:

There is going to be a demo in a month. I'd wait it out.

Good call. Will do.
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#7 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:16 AM

Although I'll describe it in one line:

Homeworld meets 4x meets hegemonia.
QC.

#8 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 13th 2008, 10:16 AM, said:

Although I'll describe it in one line:

Homeworld meets 4x meets hegemonia.

So....after looking at the game....I am definitely interested but..........before I go out and purchase it, does anyone have any experience with it on the 2.33ghz MBP with 2 gigs ram and 256 card, and if so, how was the games performance?
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#9 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

i went looking for this game today to install on boot camp and could not find it anywhere, best buy, EB, FS even went to walmart. I sure hope b4 i go looking again we get a MAc announcement from someone.

#10 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

View Postijedi42, on February 20th 2008, 07:52 PM, said:

i went looking for this game today to install on boot camp and could not find it anywhere, best buy, EB, FS even went to walmart. I sure hope b4 i go looking again we get a MAc announcement from someone.
You can get it from Stardock's total gaming site.

#11 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on February 21st 2008, 07:02 PM, said:

You can get it from Stardock's total gaming site.
yep that is how i got it. Ive played a bit now. Seems pretty fun but its pretty much just mass a huge fleet and then go for broke. not alot of tactical decisions needed in combat.

#12 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

And Stardock made the right choice with not requiring the disc in the machine to play, and no required CD key for LAN play. Someone brought it to a LAN, we played a game, and now we all plan to buy it.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#13 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on February 24th 2008, 11:06 PM, said:

And Stardock made the right choice with not requiring the disc in the machine to play, and no required CD key for LAN play. Someone brought it to a LAN, we played a game, and now we all plan to buy it.

Hmmm... not abusing people who buy your game. Something doesn't seem right there. They should make copy protection that requires a blood sample before the game starts up.

I still need to actually play this game. Things have been so busy lately I haven't even played all the tutorials yet. I am kind of torn on if I should start out playing singleplayer, or just go straight into multiplayer.

#14 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

I bought Sins as well, and really I'm underimpressed, to be honest. It lacks the depth of a true 4X game like Master of Orion 2, and doesn't have quite the quality combat experience that Homeworld 2 offers. Its worth buying, though.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#15 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

View PostBlackshawk, on February 25th 2008, 03:32 PM, said:

I bought Sins as well, and really I'm underimpressed, to be honest. It lacks the depth of a true 4X game like Master of Orion 2, and doesn't have quite the quality combat experience that Homeworld 2 offers. Its worth buying, though.
totally agree

#16 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Works fantastic on an MBP of the first gen.
QC.

#17 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

Playing Sins made me dig out Master of Orion 2 again, and I've been trying to see if I can post a 5,000 point high score. Its tough I'm playing on hard with a bunch of negative effects against a custom race to get the most point multipliers at the end.

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

View Postijedi42, on February 20th 2008, 06:52 PM, said:

My local Target had it but I have not bought it as I'm waiting for the demo. Are there Targets in Vancouver?

View PostDark_Archon, on February 25th 2008, 12:06 AM, said:

Was this a download? I assume the game is locked to your machine or account along the lines of Steam?

I played MOOIII several years ago wrote a review on it summarized as follows. I'm curious how Sins will compare.

MOOIII Pros:
- Outstanding artificial intelligence
- Emphasis on macromanagement (vs micromanagement)
- Three distinct ways to win
- Challenging gaming experience

Cons:
- Meager graphics
- Limited diplomatic choices
- Disappointing real-time combat
- No tutorial
- Documentation missing strategic advice

#19 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 29th 2008, 10:48 AM, said:

My local Target had it but I have not bought it as I'm waiting for the demo. Are there Targets in Vancouver?
Was this a download? I assume the game is locked to your machine or account along the lines of Steam?
I played MOOIII several years ago wrote a review on it summarized as follows. I'm curious how Sins will compare.

MOOIII Pros:
- Outstanding artificial intelligence
- Emphasis on macromanagement (vs micromanagement)
- Three distinct ways to win
- Challenging gaming experience

Cons:
- Meager graphics
- Limited diplomatic choices
- Disappointing real-time combat
- No tutorial
- Documentation missing strategic advice
The game is defenitely better then Moo 3. There are no targets up here. Everyone has it in stock now:P. Yes i downloaded it so i believe it is tied to me once i register it. THey say you cant change the Serial # to another account ever. THey will ship me a copy though to via courier.
Sins Pros
Great Performance on 1.5 year old dual core machine.
not a lot of micromanagement.
huge battles with large fleets.
nice little bit of rpg with your capital fleets

Cons
not a ton of depth in longer games with research as it is the same as a short game
no major upgrades to ships other then better missles,armor,shields ect---( i would prefer new looking ships over time)
no moons around planets!!!
no tactics in space battles whatsoever other then how far away u auto engage and loose or tight formations.
the enemy just seems to run from battle alot.

and i just noticed i have 2 pixels burnt out on my imac, crappy!

#20 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

I'm sorry man but Moo3 was just balls-out boring. Moo2 all the way.