#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:12 AM

Warning: This post includes spoilers.  I'll cover the most egregious but others will remain visible so proceed at your peril.

Note: When I started this post, I did not realize  a lot of this info was posted in GamePressure.com's  The Witcher Game Guide. My intent is not to duplicate it, nor am I using it as a resource  for the info I've posted here. Some of the stuff is Chap 1 getting-started type of info.

Alchemy is a major portion of The Witcher. Knowing where to find stuff is the key to success. If you have any good additions or links, please post.
Thanks!

Updates:
- 3/27- Added blurb on Quest items
- 2/22 Updated blurb on combat.
- 2/18 Added link for the Enhanced The Witcher.

Table of Contents
* Links
* Game Tips
* Uncut Mod

- Alchemy Ingredients- At Witcher.wikia.com.
- Alchemy discussion- at Witcher.wikia.com
- Witcher Alchemy Combination Guide- at GameFAQ.com

Books- Should you use them?
Book on Field Herbs- The ability to harvest herbs comes from increasing your "Intelligence" attribute. At $200 purchase, the book on Field Herbs is an excellent bargain considering vendors sell these herbs at $30-50 a pop and they are necessary for creating potions that give you a necessary edge in combat. This book gives you the ability to identify the following herbs which are found in abundance: Balissa Fruit, Celadine, Zimeik Pollen, Berberries, Crows eye, & Servant Mushroom.

Herb gathering is essential for survivability, but provides a poor means of raising money. Some vendors will buy your herbs for a $1 each.

Chap 1 Tips:
Road to Vizima Main Quests
The two main quests are the "Trail of the Salamandra" and "Of Monsters & Men". Two cautions here.
Spoiler

Update 2/17: Once your character moves onto Chap 2,
Spoiler

Location of Alchemy Items:
Primary Resource: The Witcher Game Guide at Gamepressure.com for locating items. In each Chapter of the GamePressure Guide see the section listed "Important Characters" for vendors who sell alchemy items.

Abigail the Sorcerer-She lives in hut outside of the Inn compound.
Alchemical Paste- Base Sword Coat
Bear Fat- Base Sword Coat
Beast Fangs- Vitriol
Black Powder- firework component
Calciferous Liquod- Vitriol
Calciumequum- Vitriol, Rebedo
Giantz's Acid-  Vitriol, Nigredo
Goose Fat- Base Sword Coat
Manuals- Beast, Field Herbs, Swamp Creatures, Animals
Moonbits- Rebis, Rubedo
Naezan Salts
Oil Against Specters
Phosperous- Vermillion
Place Holder- firecracker
Pulverized Pearl- Aether, Rubedo
Red Ribbon- Scares away wraiths
Salt Peter- Used to make firecracker
Sulpher- Quebrith
Tallow
Vodka- Base for potions
Winestone- Rebis

Declan Levvaarden- Merchant at the Inn.
Wine, Spirits (Potion Base), Rings, Saphire

Vesna Hood- Bar Maid at the Inn.
Wine, Bread, Honey, Food, Vodka (Potion Base), Goose Fat (Sword Coating Base).

Herbalist from Vizima
White Myrtle (vitriol, Albedo), Helbbore (Aether, Rubedo), Sevant Mushroom (Vitriol, Rubedo), Balissa Fruit (Quebrith, Rubedo), Book on Field Herbs ($200), Book on Subterranean Plants ($300)

Important Chap 1 Potions
See Alchemy Ingredients Guide- At Witcher.wikia.com.
See Witcher Alchemy Combination Guide- at GameFAQ.com.

Anti-Specter Grease (apply to sword)
- Vitriol (white myrtle pedals)
- Aether (swallow)
- Rebis (Hellebore)
- Base: Grease

Blizzard- Improves reflexes and reaction in combat.
- 2 Vitriol (Calcium Equum, Calciferous Liquid, Giantz's Acid)
- 2 Rebis (moonbits)
- Base: Concentrated Alcohol

Cat- See in the dark, a must in dark crypts.
- 1 part Rebis (winestone)
- 2 parts Quebrith (chopped fool's parsley)
- Base: Strong Alcohol (vodka or the like)

Swallow- Increases your health generation.
- Vitriol (White Myrtle)
- Aether (hellebore or berberry)
-2 Rebis (celandine)

Tawny Owl- Increases your ability to damage opponents.
- Vitriol
- 2 Aether
- Base: Vodka/Spirits

Thunderbolt- Greatly increases inflicted damage in combat against opponents.
- Vitriol
- Hydragenum
- Rebis (Moonbits)
- 2 Vermillion (Phosphorus)
- Base: Concentrated Alcohol

Combat
For those who have not played the game, while I would not describe combat as a clickfest there are quite a few clicks to be accomplished. Although you can move your character, and can double hit direction keys to roll, jump sideways, etc, basically fighting consists of deciding what style of fighting you want to use, (Fast, Group, Strong) then click, wait for the flaming sword icon, then click again for a combo, flaming icon, click, etc. Under most circumstances there is no real reason to jump sideways, unless you are at the beginning of a fight against a group and your moving for a better start position or you are loosing a fight. Otherwise you want to maintain your position to keep the combos coming.

Quest Items Be careful because quest items can be inadvertently sold. I'm thinking of the Finders Keepers Quest. Unlike Oblivion where quest items can't be sold, the Family valuables can be sold because I did sell them and then you can't complete the quest. They came out of a trunk and were not listed as Family valuables, just individual pieces of jewelry. Caution.

Sign Locations- Large stone that teaches Witcher spells.
-Ard Sign- Starting Castle
-Igni Sign- Outskirts of Vizima inside the Crypt

Use of Potions in Combat
A must when your first starting out, you need all of the help you can get such as Swallow, Blizzard, and Tawny Owl. Once you have purchased the Book on Field Herbs, these potions will be easy to acquire. Sword coatings also help a great deal.

Wrap Up for Chapter 1
I did not spend any time making sword coatings, but I spent a lot of time creating buffs which are a must to do well in combat. Reading books, especially Field Herbs is important.  I've not quite yet figured out if using alchemy increases your skill in it (as it does in Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion) or if it is just a matter of finding the books and documents that tell you what the formula is. I've got the "uncut mod" installed but it is probably of minimal worth. So far the only difference I've seen is very mature text, much more so than the spoken English, but sometimes if flies by so fast you don't get it all read before it disappears. So far a big thumbs up!

Ok, here is the deal for updating the Witcher with the uncut mod. The game includes spoken language and sub titles (in English). The uncut mod if installed as-is replaces all the spoken Engish with spoken Polish. However there are 3 scripting choice that allows different English subtitles- uncut English subtitles, optimized English subtitles or censored English subtitles. It is possible to maintain the original spoken censored English. My impression is that no uncensored spoken English was ever recorded and is not available. More info follows. Read all of the steps to make sure what can be accomplished before starting.

1. Install the official witcher 1.2 patch.
2. If your intent is to maintain spoken English, make a copy of the file "voices_3_00.bif" in the Data folder and store outside of the Data folder.
3. If you have downloaded the uncut mod and have separate rar files, make sure they are all in the same folder, right click on the first file (in windows) and select "extract to here". This will extract all the files into a single Data folder.
4. Copy the contents of the new Data Folder over to the original Data folder. Most of the files in the new Dat folder will replace files in the original Dat Folder, but there are some extra files such as the "Script Readme" described in step 6.
5. At this point the game will display spoken Polish and English subtitles.
6. In the Data foler read the "Script Readme" for English subtitle choices. They can be changed at will by doubleclicking on one of the 3 files in the Data folder. After selecting a message pops up advising you that the registry has been changed.. The choices are uncensored English script, optimized English script, and original censored English script.
7. To maintain the original spoken English, you must keep the original file "voices_3_00.bif" located in the data folder. The simple method is to copy this file somewhere else before installing the uncut mod. After installation of the uncut mod, replace the new voices file with the original version 1.2 voices file. The end result is censored spoken English and uncensored sub-titled English (or which ever version you choose).

Edited by Huntn, 27 March 2008 - 09:30 PM.

#2 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:52 AM

2/10/08- Added Ard Sign Paragraph, Book para, more locations of alchemy items, game tips para, more potions, moved the blurb for installing the uncut mode from the other Witcher thread.

Anyone know where a good Silver Sword can be found?
Thanks!

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:17 AM

View PostHuntn, on February 10th 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

2/10/08- Added Ard Sign Paragraph, Book para, more locations of alchemy items, game tips para, more potions, moved the blurb for installing the uncut mode from the other Witcher thread.

Anyone know where a good Silver Sword can be found?
Thanks!

1st one you get when in Jail, 2nd can be bought in ch3 and the third one you get from the lady of the lake in ch4. The last and best one you can get in ch 5 if you collected all the monster heads for the royal huntsman.

As for this post I don't really see the point since all the information listed is already on GamePressure: http://guides.gamepr...com/thewitcher/

#4 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:41 AM

View PostHansi, on February 10th 2008, 10:17 AM, said:

1st one you get when in Jail, 2nd can be bought in ch3 and the third one you get from the lady of the lake in ch4. The last and best one you can get in ch 5 if you collected all the monster heads for the royal huntsman.

As for this post I don't really see the point since all the information listed is already on GamePressure: http://guides.gamepr...com/thewitcher/

I've all ready linked to this guide. I think my format is simpler to navigate. Is there a vendor list over there? Thanks Hansi for the info!

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

View PostHuntn, on February 10th 2008, 04:41 PM, said:

I've all ready linked to this guide. I think my format is simpler to navigate. Is there a vendor list over there? Thanks Hansi for the info!

The vendor list is under important characters in each chapter.

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

View PostHansi, on February 10th 2008, 10:47 AM, said:

The vendor list is under important characters in each chapter.

Hansi, thanks! I'll change what I present in this thread. I don't want to duplicate that guide.

#7 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

Added blurb:
Chap 1: Road To Vizima
The two main quests are the "Trail of the Salamandra" and "Of Monsters & Men". Two cautions here.
Spoiler

#8 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

Added Chap 1 Update:
Once your character moves onto Chap 2,
Spoiler

#9 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:06 AM

Hunt'n:

Your notes indicate that you can learn the Igni sign near the crypt in the outskirts of Vizima. I'm confused! When I activate this place of power and perform the ritual of magic, I just get a buff that boosts my existing sign  (which at this point, is only Ard) by 100% for four hours. Am I missing something? How do I learn Igni?

Thanks!

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#10 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

View PostAtticus, on February 18th 2008, 02:06 AM, said:

Hunt'n:

Your notes indicate that you can learn the Igni sign near the crypt in the outskirts of Vizima. I'm confused! When I activate this place of power and perform the ritual of magic, I just get a buff that boosts my existing sign  (which at this point, is only Ard) by 100% for four hours. Am I missing something? How do I learn Igni?

Thanks!

Atticus

It's *in* the Crypt on the Outskirts of Vizima.  I've updated the original post to better reflect this. Here's more:
Spoiler

Wrap Up for Chapter 1
I did not spend any time making sword coatings, but I spent a lot of time creating buffs which are a must to do well in combat. Reading books, especially Field Herbs is important.  I've not quite yet figured out if using alchemy increases your skill in it (as it does in Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion) or if it is just a matter of finding the books and documents that tell you what the formula is. I've got the "uncut mod" installed but it is probably of minimal worth. So far the only difference I've seen is very mature text, much more so than the spoken English, but sometimes if flies by so fast you don't get it all read before it disappears. So far a big thumbs up!

#11 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

[quote name='Huntn' date='February 18th 2008, 12:40 PM' post='339841']
It's *in* the Crypt on the Outskirts of Vizima.  I've updated the original post to better reflect this. Here's more:[spoiler]To get the key for the crypt as part of the main quest, at the demand of the Reverend, you must gain the trust of certain town people. One of them, will request that you clean out the crypt, a seperate quest that gets you access. Plus if you talk to the Royal Hunter, he will turn you on to a monster that lives in the crypt and one that appears on the lake shore.[/spoiler]

OOOOooooh, I got it. I haven't gotten that far in the quest line, so don't have access to the crypt yet.

Thanks!

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#12 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

View PostAtticus, on February 18th 2008, 01:30 PM, said:

OOOOooooh, I got it. I haven't gotten that far in the quest line, so don't have access to the crypt yet.

Thanks!

Atticus

Your welcome.

I've added this link to the original post:
new- The Witcher Enhanced Version posted on The Witcher News, due in May 2008.

#13 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

Updated blurb in original post on Combat.

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

Added blurb:
Quest Items Be careful because quest items can be inadvertently sold. I'm thinking of the Finders Keepers Quest. Unlike Oblivion where quest items can't be sold, the Family valuables can be sold because I did sell them and then you can't complete the quest. They came out of a trunk and were not listed as Family valuables, just individual pieces of jewelry. Caution.