44 replies to this topic

#21 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:53 AM

Don't forget this game does not work in Leopard at all...
Edward

#22 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

View Postnagromme, on February 3rd 2008, 10:25 PM, said:

Check it out--this is coming to Mac:

Posted Image

http://www.beyondunr...st.php?id=11518
3rd-person HUD-less Co-op with classes.

(Though I expect the artwork will have to change a bit ;) )

Hm, could be fun. Where did you get the details about the gameplay? If any good mods show up, I might have to get UT3 after all.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#23 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

Xen gameplay details:
http://forums.beyond...d=1#post2072485

It's no AvP--the beauty of AvP is being the alien! But sounds fun anyway. We need more co-op games. UT3 will certainly have some great mods. JailBreak and Chaos are already underway.

Tremulous is worth a look for wall-crawling alien fans--I've known people who were really into it. You can be an alien or a human (class-based) and it's free:
http://tremulous.net

Posted Image

#24 Nintendork78

Nintendork78

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:20 AM

ALL OF YOU QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE!

Before I begin, someone earlier stated that the AvP:Gold graphics are BETTER THEN those of AvP2.  No offense, but THAT COULDN'T BE ANY FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

OK, I've been a Mac guy for a few years now. First had an iBook G4 (got stolen from my car ), then got me an Intel iMac, and finally black MacBook for christmas '06.   About a year ago I remembered the good ole' times I had playing AvP:Gold on my PC.  I did a quick search and OMG! there it was...for MAC...and AvP2 for Mac too!! Yoo Hoo!  Each game, BRAND SPANKING NEW cost about $10 bucks.  
Google "Aliens vs Predator 2 Mac" ......then click shopping......then click list by price LOWEST to HIGHEST. If an Alien/Predator/Marine Multiplayer shooter is what you crave......only buy AVP2 there is NO NEED to EVER play AvP:Gold once you've setup AVP2.

RUNDOWN OF your questions ANSWERED AND THEN SOME

1. AVP2 multiplayer = YES it is fixed! Strider1 (what's up buddy) posted a link to earlier.  You can also Google "avp2 online fix Mac" (the fix is not perfect.  When you enter the multiplayer server list you cannot refresh. so if the server you want is full, then you need to quit the entire game by pressing COMMAND+OPTION+ESC, start the game over and hope theres room.  Same process if you wanna change servers. But hey Macplay left us high and dry, had it not been for some awesome mo-fo out there we'd be S.O.L. and stuck with AvP:OLD (did I forget the G? oh well. hee hee)

2. AVP2 crossplatform mp = HELLS FREAKIN YEAH IT WORKS! I'm a member of the STARGATE COMMAND CLAN.  I'm one of two members that play on a Mac. Everyone else in PC.

3. AVP2 expansion = AvP2:Gold Primal Hunt never happened for our beloved Mac.  BUT it was planned.  I don't know if it is still listed, but once I got AvP2, I NEEDED primal hunt.  In searching for it I found TWO legitimate sights profiling the game.  One, I believe was Amazon, the other was IGN (i think).  But I couldn't find a copy to buy. Further digging lead me to the itty-bitty fine print. *game never released*  THEN WHY STILL HAVE IT POSTED ?? GRRR so yeah, NO PRIMAL HUNT for Mac, but as it turns out there's a bigger Mutliplayer community for the standard AvP2.

4. AVP2 on a regular macbook = MacBook? No problem.  I've heard of guys running it on iBook G4s and PPC PowerBooks. Basically if your Mac can meet or surpass these requirement  PPC or Intel, then you'll be ready to say LET'S ROCK! ....
     Mac OS X version 10.2.6 or higher
      700MHz PowerPC G4 processor or higher
      256MB of RAM
      ATI Radeon 8500 or NVIDIA GeForce2 MX or better graphics card

5. AVP Gold = works on OS X it also works on OS 9. Are you gonna start using that too. TRUST me they belong together.  Gold passed the torch to AvP2, but Macplay left it to burnout...and it almost did.....ALMOST.

6. AVP2 hold out mode like in AVP Gold = Hold out mode? I believe you are referring to SKIRMISH MODE. *Sigh* I would get stuck for hours wasting Aliens on the STRANDED Map as Marine, then as a Predator.    SKIRMISH mode was NOT included in AvP2.......But (see next question)

7. AVPG existing mods = As fellow Mac guys (and gals?) you know that when it comes to compatibility or having the 'cool' games/programs we haven't exactly had it easy.  I mean AvP2 came out in 2001! It took 6 freakin for us to get an UNofficial MP fix.  On the topic of having it rough when it comes to games, anyone else here a Nintendo guy/gal too??  :D

ok, MODs.  Those that work with PC work with Mac too. In most cases its easier to add/subtract to Mac's AvP2 folder system then to the PC file system.   The biggest roadblocks when it comes to Mods are those that require an .exe file to install.  But, CUSTOM SKIRMISH LEVELS and Single Player Levels are easy to find and even easier to install.

All you really need is Ultimate Map Pack 2.  It is fairly easy to find. It's a HUGE download that can often lead to a huge disappointment for us Mac people when we  find out that it installs with an .exe.....Like i sadi earlier I'm a member of [SG_CMD]  HONESTLY we have the 4 best, most reliable and most popular AvP2 server in the community.  We also have Counter Strike, BF2, Quake: ET, and Battlefield 2142 servers.  I got 2142 for christmas but haven't gotten into it yet. All i really play is AvP2.  MY POINT? Feel free to visit our AvP2 downloads section for your one stop Mod shop of free downloads. Stargate Command Homepage   Click on downloads>Aliens vs Predator 2.

What you need?  For a Mac all you need is the Ultimate Map Pack.rar  UMP2.rar opens to a UMP2 folder.  Inside that folder is a folder titled MAPS.  OK, you've already installed the game. and updated the AVP2.app and AVP2SERV.app witht he official 1096 update and are now looking at this MAPS folder that has a HUGE directory of folders and files inside it.  

WHAT DO YOU DO??? Simply drop the MAPS folder into your DATA folder that is inside you main AvP2 folder.  THATS IT!  Start the game and *SPLASH SCREEN* ULTIMATE MAP PACK 2 INSTALLED.

What does this Mean? You can now play on just about any multiplayer map on any server.  UMP2 also comes stocked with the latest and most popular SKIRMISH AND SP levels I mentioned earlier.  

(these DLs are cool too:
AVP2ANDPRIMALHUNTNOCDEXCEUTABLE.RAR.......can play game on PC w/o needing a CD
AVP2 CD BACKUP.RAR..................Copies of AvP2 install discs for PC  (to play online you NEED a unique serial key)
MULTIPAK.RAR.......cool skins and sounds in MP
COMMUNITY_MULTIMOD.ZIP................cool skins and sounds in MP
XHANSKINS.RAR......................cool skins and sounds in MP

That is UMP2 v2.  There IS a version 3. Its not major or necessary. UMP2 is effin NEC-ESS-AR-YYYYY.  If you're like me and NEED you can A) find a copy of it somewhere that opens to the directory of folders like UMP2 just did. all I found were .exe files.  OR B)  get your PC buddy (make sure his computer has a FIREWIRE PORT) hooked on the game too and explain to him the need to have UMP2  and its version 3 update.  Install it on his computer.  Put your Mac into target mode (restart holding T, basically making it an external hard drive) connect with a FIREWIRE cord and drag his UMP2 folder to your main AVP2 folder.  

Someone mentioned LAN party earlier?? I work at an elementary school maintaining a lab or 33 iMac G5 (PPC) I've hosted 4 LAN parties in the Lab since September. The first 3 I hosted as a NON-Dedicated (the server was also the iMac I was playing on)  Though the option is there to run as a DEDicated server......NO DICE.

The Mac WILL host a NON-Dedicated LAN server with NO PROBLEM.  But that's it. NO Dedicated LAN, NO NON-Dedicated Internet, and NO Dedicated Internet.

As you can tell I'm into this freakin game BIG TIME! So believe me when I say that I tried and tried and looked and serarched for a clue, a solution, for somebody who knew somethin, anything that would help me to get the other server modes running, but again NO DICE.!

ALMOST DONE!  

When I said that MODS work on Mac. This DOES NOT include SERVER MODs.  As it turns out AVP2 is full of holes that allow for annoying hackers to to do whatever they want.  ROMMIE put an end to this with his server mod that is updated still. BUT THEY ONLY run on PC. There are ZERO server Mods for the Mac. A Mac CAN play on a server running ROMMIE, but a Mac can NOT run ROMMIE.  So my fourth LAN party I installed the latest ROMMIE mod on my buddy's laptop .  I also installed mods that added characters and weapons.

Whats so cool about ROMMIE? Cool stuff like enabling all weapons, IP banning jerks, he even made a special version of his mod for our LIFECYCLE SERVER.  (LC= you begin as a facehugger, as a chestburster your really vulnerable and it takes a good 30 or so second to grow to an adult.  We set a server rule that  players not kill chestbursters  so that the game can continue......a lot of jerks out there are just that JERKS, RoMMIe made a server mod that allows for makes it impossible to kill chestbursters)  

wow....i'm REALLY rambling.....i think I'ma play some AVP2....seriously!

OH YEAH, and thsi is kinda HUGE!!!!!  I NEVER played AvP2 before I played it on my MacBook.  I have played it on PC but barely. never more than just a mintue to see if  I set it up right.

PAY ATTENTION:  In the PC version when a Predator is cloaked and standing/crouching motionless they are 100% INVISIBLE to human players.  I'll say it again ONE HUNDRED PERCENT INVISIBLE TO HUMANS WHEN THEY ARE MOTIONLESS AND CLOAKED.  The humans have an Alternate Vision (you may remember it from AvP:Gold) the Image Intensifier.  it like night vision, turning hte screen green.  It runs on a battery that runs out after a while then needs recharging....When using night vision you can NOT see your radar.  It mad 100% sense to me that this was to balance out the Predators abilty to disappear, because with the Mac version a human can see a cloaked Predator AS CLEAR AS DAY!  You won't think twice about it until your in a MP server taking out silly preds from a distance who seem to just be standing or crouching there.  Obviously they're shooting at someone, maybe you? Bang you shoot them. Soon the preds start calling you a 'noob",  or asking you if your using an 'alien vision hack', or accusing u of being 'an aimbotter'  and hacker.....bacsically calling you a cheater. Technically your just playing the game the way it was made.  PERSONALLY, i think its STUPID for preds to  be 100% invisible simply by not moving. then you get guys who "CAMP" in a corner witht he spear gun and just waste  humans.  JUST BE SMART! you can run and use this natural ability in the Mac version and abuse it (that'll get you ridiculed and kicked even banned from a server QUICK) or you can "BE SMART" with this info.

LAST tip....people HATE players who SPAM auto tracking weapons

Well, I think I've dropped enough AvP2  Mac knowledge for one post.  

Hope i helped

Hope to hear from some of you

Hope to see all of you in game

My in game name:  NINTENDRK[SG_CMD]PFC

Any more question feel free to message me

AIM/YIM = XenoRick78

#25 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

View PostNintendork78, on February 28th 2008, 07:20 AM, said:

Before I begin, someone earlier stated that the AvP:Gold graphics are BETTER THEN those of AvP2.  No offense, but THAT COULDN'T BE ANY FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

OK, I've been a Mac guy for a few years now. First had an iBook G4 (got stolen from my car ), then got me an Intel iMac, and finally black MacBook for christmas '06.   About a year ago I remembered the good ole' times I had playing AvP:Gold on my PC.  I did a quick search and OMG! there it was...for MAC...and AvP2 for Mac too!! Yoo Hoo!  Each game, BRAND SPANKING NEW cost about $10 bucks.  
Google "Aliens vs Predator 2 Mac" ......then click shopping......then click list by price LOWEST to HIGHEST. If an Alien/Predator/Marine Multiplayer shooter is what you crave......only buy AVP2 there is NO NEED to EVER play AvP:Gold once you've setup AVP2.
RUNDOWN OF your questions ANSWERED AND THEN SOME
1. AVP2 multiplayer = YES it is fixed! Strider1 (what's up buddy) posted a link to earlier.  You can also Google "avp2 online fix Mac" (the fix is not perfect.  When you enter the multiplayer server list you cannot refresh. so if the server you want is full, then you need to quit the entire game by pressing COMMAND+OPTION+ESC, start the game over and hope theres room.  Same process if you wanna change servers. But hey Macplay left us high and dry, had it not been for some awesome mo-fo out there we'd be S.O.L. and stuck with AvP:OLD (did I forget the G? oh well. hee hee)
2. AVP2 crossplatform mp = HELLS FREAKIN YEAH IT WORKS! I'm a member of the STARGATE COMMAND CLAN.  I'm one of two members that play on a Mac. Everyone else in PC.

3. AVP2 expansion = AvP2:Gold Primal Hunt never happened for our beloved Mac.  BUT it was planned.  I don't know if it is still listed, but once I got AvP2, I NEEDED primal hunt.  In searching for it I found TWO legitimate sights profiling the game.  One, I believe was Amazon, the other was IGN (i think).  But I couldn't find a copy to buy. Further digging lead me to the itty-bitty fine print. *game never released*  THEN WHY STILL HAVE IT POSTED ?? GRRR so yeah, NO PRIMAL HUNT for Mac, but as it turns out there's a bigger Mutliplayer community for the standard AvP2.

4. AVP2 on a regular macbook = MacBook? No problem.  I've heard of guys running it on iBook G4s and PPC PowerBooks. Basically if your Mac can meet or surpass these requirement  PPC or Intel, then you'll be ready to say LET'S ROCK! ....
     Mac OS X version 10.2.6 or higher
      700MHz PowerPC G4 processor or higher
      256MB of RAM
      ATI Radeon 8500 or NVIDIA GeForce2 MX or better graphics card

5. AVP Gold = works on OS X it also works on OS 9. Are you gonna start using that too. TRUST me they belong together.  Gold passed the torch to AvP2, but Macplay left it to burnout...and it almost did.....ALMOST.

6. AVP2 hold out mode like in AVP Gold = Hold out mode? I believe you are referring to SKIRMISH MODE. *Sigh* I would get stuck for hours wasting Aliens on the STRANDED Map as Marine, then as a Predator.    SKIRMISH mode was NOT included in AvP2.......But (see next question)

7. AVPG existing mods = As fellow Mac guys (and gals?) you know that when it comes to compatibility or having the 'cool' games/programs we haven't exactly had it easy.  I mean AvP2 came out in 2001! It took 6 freakin for us to get an UNofficial MP fix.  On the topic of having it rough when it comes to games, anyone else here a Nintendo guy/gal too??  :D

ok, MODs.  Those that work with PC work with Mac too. In most cases its easier to add/subtract to Mac's AvP2 folder system then to the PC file system.   The biggest roadblocks when it comes to Mods are those that require an .exe file to install.  But, CUSTOM SKIRMISH LEVELS and Single Player Levels are easy to find and even easier to install.

All you really need is Ultimate Map Pack 2.  It is fairly easy to find. It's a HUGE download that can often lead to a huge disappointment for us Mac people when we  find out that it installs with an .exe.....Like i sadi earlier I'm a member of [SG_CMD]  HONESTLY we have the 4 best, most reliable and most popular AvP2 server in the community.  We also have Counter Strike, BF2, Quake: ET, and Battlefield 2142 servers.  I got 2142 for christmas but haven't gotten into it yet. All i really play is AvP2.  MY POINT? Feel free to visit our AvP2 downloads section for your one stop Mod shop of free downloads. Stargate Command Homepage   Click on downloads>Aliens vs Predator 2.

What you need?  For a Mac all you need is the Ultimate Map Pack.rar  UMP2.rar opens to a UMP2 folder.  Inside that folder is a folder titled MAPS.  OK, you've already installed the game. and updated the AVP2.app and AVP2SERV.app witht he official 1096 update and are now looking at this MAPS folder that has a HUGE directory of folders and files inside it.  

WHAT DO YOU DO??? Simply drop the MAPS folder into your DATA folder that is inside you main AvP2 folder.  THATS IT!  Start the game and *SPLASH SCREEN* ULTIMATE MAP PACK 2 INSTALLED.

What does this Mean? You can now play on just about any multiplayer map on any server.  UMP2 also comes stocked with the latest and most popular SKIRMISH AND SP levels I mentioned earlier.  

(these DLs are cool too:
AVP2ANDPRIMALHUNTNOCDEXCEUTABLE.RAR.......can play game on PC w/o needing a CD
AVP2 CD BACKUP.RAR..................Copies of AvP2 install discs for PC  (to play online you NEED a unique serial key)
MULTIPAK.RAR.......cool skins and sounds in MP
COMMUNITY_MULTIMOD.ZIP................cool skins and sounds in MP
XHANSKINS.RAR......................cool skins and sounds in MP

That is UMP2 v2.  There IS a version 3. Its not major or necessary. UMP2 is effin NEC-ESS-AR-YYYYY.  If you're like me and NEED you can A) find a copy of it somewhere that opens to the directory of folders like UMP2 just did. all I found were .exe files.  OR B)  get your PC buddy (make sure his computer has a FIREWIRE PORT) hooked on the game too and explain to him the need to have UMP2  and its version 3 update.  Install it on his computer.  Put your Mac into target mode (restart holding T, basically making it an external hard drive) connect with a FIREWIRE cord and drag his UMP2 folder to your main AVP2 folder.  

Someone mentioned LAN party earlier?? I work at an elementary school maintaining a lab or 33 iMac G5 (PPC) I've hosted 4 LAN parties in the Lab since September. The first 3 I hosted as a NON-Dedicated (the server was also the iMac I was playing on)  Though the option is there to run as a DEDicated server......NO DICE.

The Mac WILL host a NON-Dedicated LAN server with NO PROBLEM.  But that's it. NO Dedicated LAN, NO NON-Dedicated Internet, and NO Dedicated Internet.

As you can tell I'm into this freakin game BIG TIME! So believe me when I say that I tried and tried and looked and serarched for a clue, a solution, for somebody who knew somethin, anything that would help me to get the other server modes running, but again NO DICE.!

ALMOST DONE!  

When I said that MODS work on Mac. This DOES NOT include SERVER MODs.  As it turns out AVP2 is full of holes that allow for annoying hackers to to do whatever they want.  ROMMIE put an end to this with his server mod that is updated still. BUT THEY ONLY run on PC. There are ZERO server Mods for the Mac. A Mac CAN play on a server running ROMMIE, but a Mac can NOT run ROMMIE.  So my fourth LAN party I installed the latest ROMMIE mod on my buddy's laptop .  I also installed mods that added characters and weapons.

Whats so cool about ROMMIE? Cool stuff like enabling all weapons, IP banning jerks, he even made a special version of his mod for our LIFECYCLE SERVER.  (LC= you begin as a facehugger, as a chestburster your really vulnerable and it takes a good 30 or so second to grow to an adult.  We set a server rule that  players not kill chestbursters  so that the game can continue......a lot of jerks out there are just that JERKS, RoMMIe made a server mod that allows for makes it impossible to kill chestbursters)  

wow....i'm REALLY rambling.....i think I'ma play some AVP2....seriously!
OH YEAH, and thsi is kinda HUGE!!!!!  I NEVER played AvP2 before I played it on my MacBook.  I have played it on PC but barely. never more than just a mintue to see if  I set it up right.

PAY ATTENTION:  In the PC version when a Predator is cloaked and standing/crouching motionless they are 100% INVISIBLE to human players.  I'll say it again ONE HUNDRED PERCENT INVISIBLE TO HUMANS WHEN THEY ARE MOTIONLESS AND CLOAKED.  The humans have an Alternate Vision (you may remember it from AvP:Gold) the Image Intensifier.  it like night vision, turning hte screen green.  It runs on a battery that runs out after a while then needs recharging....When using night vision you can NOT see your radar.  It mad 100% sense to me that this was to balance out the Predators abilty to disappear, because with the Mac version a human can see a cloaked Predator AS CLEAR AS DAY!  You won't think twice about it until your in a MP server taking out silly preds from a distance who seem to just be standing or crouching there.  Obviously they're shooting at someone, maybe you? Bang you shoot them. Soon the preds start calling you a 'noob",  or asking you if your using an 'alien vision hack', or accusing u of being 'an aimbotter'  and hacker.....bacsically calling you a cheater. Technically your just playing the game the way it was made.  PERSONALLY, i think its STUPID for preds to  be 100% invisible simply by not moving. then you get guys who "CAMP" in a corner witht he spear gun and just waste  humans.  JUST BE SMART! you can run and use this natural ability in the Mac version and abuse it (that'll get you ridiculed and kicked even banned from a server QUICK) or you can "BE SMART" with this info.

LAST tip....people HATE players who SPAM auto tracking weapons

Well, I think I've dropped enough AvP2  Mac knowledge for one post.  

Hope i helped

Hope to hear from some of you

Hope to see all of you in game

My in game name:  NINTENDRK[SG_CMD]PFC
Any more question feel free to message me

AIM/YIM = XenoRick78

But can I play AvP2 on Leopard?
Edward

#26 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

View PostNintendork78, on February 28th 2008, 07:20 AM, said:

Thanks! That's what I call a first post!  :)

(Another Q: are high-res textures available for AVP: Gold? And can I play AVPG on Intel on Leopard?)

#27 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:00 AM

Someone plays AVPG on leopard, so yes. But I didn't find the hi res textures anymore.

And AVPG is, characterdesignwise, pretty neat. leveldesign is a bit spotty at best, but still.

And I decided to drop AVPG, since the PC version is having *issues*. I never looked into AVP2, and now it's too late..
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#28 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 28th 2008, 04:00 PM, said:

Someone plays AVPG on leopard, so yes. But I didn't find the hi res textures anymore.
And AVPG is, characterdesignwise, pretty neat. leveldesign is a bit spotty at best, but still.
And I decided to drop AVPG, since the PC version is having *issues*. I never looked into AVP2, and now it's too late..

If anyone has got AVP 2 working on 10.5 I'd be interested to know how!
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#29 Nintendork78

Nintendork78

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 28th 2008, 08:00 AM, said:

It's never too late to start playing an awesome game. BUY A COPY OF AVP2  You seem to really love AvPG.  Once you play AvP2 you'll wish you hadn't waited so long to play.

NINTENDRK[SG_CMD]PFC

AIM/YIM:  XenoRick78

#30 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:00 AM

View Postnagromme, on February 28th 2008, 03:09 PM, said:

Thanks! That's what I call a first post!  :)

wow ! Probably the best first post EVER ?  :happy:
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#31 Nintendork78

Nintendork78

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

Despite my extensive knowledge of running AVP2 on a Mac since I I'm running 10.4.11 on both my MacBook and Intel iMac I had no idea until now (thanks to you lucky Leopard running guys  ;)  ) that it couldn't be run on Leopard or that there was such a big problem with SO MANY games running on 10.5x  
I think someone (Quanta maybe) already tried bypassing the opening movies so after that I'm in the same boat as the rest of you (left hoping that someone works out a fix like they did the online issue or that the issue gets fixed in a future Mac update)

This new knowledge SERIOUSLY has me no longer feeling the need to install Leopard.  I play AVP2 every day so until it gets up and running on 10.5 then i'm gonna be one Tiger rocking-mofo.

Nintendork78[SG_CMD]PFC

AIM/YIM: xenoRick78

#32 Nintendork78

Nintendork78

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on February 28th 2008, 08:00 AM, said:

.... I never looked into AVP2, and now it's too late..

You're running Leopard and AvP2's not running on Leopard.  NOW i understand why it's too late.  But if it gets fixed, then YOU GOTTA get it bro. You'll freakin' LOVE IT!

Nintendork78[SG_CMD]PFC

#33 Douglas

Douglas

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

View PostNintendork78, on March 2nd 2008, 01:45 PM, said:

Despite my extensive knowledge of running AVP2 on a Mac since I I'm running 10.4.11 on both my MacBook and Intel iMac I had no idea until now (thanks to you lucky Leopard running guys  ;)  ) that it couldn't be run on Leopard or that there was such a big problem with SO MANY games running on 10.5x  
I think someone (Quanta maybe) already tried bypassing the opening movies so after that I'm in the same boat as the rest of you (left hoping that someone works out a fix like they did the online issue or that the issue gets fixed in a future Mac update)

This new knowledge SERIOUSLY has me no longer feeling the need to install Leopard.  I play AVP2 every day so until it gets up and running on 10.5 then i'm gonna be one Tiger rocking-mofo.
Nintendork78[SG_CMD]PFC

I upgraded my Mac Pro to Leopard, but that is the ONLY one of my Macs that I will upgrade to this OS.  Honestly, I haven't found a great reason yet why I bothered upgrading.  So far 10.5 seems to be kind of a waste in my opinion, especially if it causes problems with multiple games!

In other words, you're not really missing anything.

Douglas

:)
- 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, 4GB ram, Mac OS X 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro & Vista, Nvidia 8800 GT
- 1.67 GHz PPC G4 Powerbook, 2 GB ram, 80 GB hd (OS X 10.5.8)
- 1 Ghz PPC G3 Blue & White, 1 GB ram, 320 GB hd (OS 9.1)

Playing - (Mac OS)  Bioshock, Battlefield 1942, Halo (Windows) Battlefield 2

#34 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:13 AM

View PostNintendork78, on March 2nd 2008, 10:51 PM, said:

You're running Leopard and AvP2's not running on Leopard.  NOW i understand why it's too late.  But if it gets fixed, then YOU GOTTA get it bro. You'll freakin' LOVE IT!
Nintendork78[SG_CMD]PFC

I was actually referring to a lan party I was about to run, but yes, avp2 doesnt work in leopard, so it wouldnt have worked anyway. (it was a mac vs pc party, two pcs, four macs (of which 2 were macbooks) and two leopard users)
QC.

#35 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

View PostNintendork78, on March 2nd 2008, 09:45 PM, said:

I had no idea until now (thanks to you lucky Leopard running guys  ;)  ) that it couldn't be run on Leopard or that there was such a big problem with SO MANY games running on 10.5x  

Although fixes for games like AVP2, NOLF2, SOF2 and TRON 2 would be great news I really can't see it happening as MacPlay haven't patched their games in a longtime and Omni who ported the first three examples don't do game ports these days. I think Transgaming did TRON 2 and they are now busy with Cider. Maybe one day the source code will be liberated as has happened with games like Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem but even then an OS X port isn't a given. It is a shame as I'm sure owners of Mac Mini and MacBook machines could probably run these if they were patched to be universal and a good game is still good whenever you get to play it.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#36 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:37 AM

The possibility of a user made patch is high, though.
QC.

#37 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 4th 2008, 03:37 AM, said:

The possibility of a user made patch is high very very low, though.

Fixed!

--Eric

#38 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on March 4th 2008, 02:37 AM, said:

The possibility of a user made patch is high, though.
I think the sources for AvP and NOLF are available, so you could probably do a Mac port. I don't know what license they're under, though, so it might still be out. IIRC they used a closed-source Lithtech binary, so that might complicate things...

#39 surge1

surge1

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

View Poststriderdm1, on January 25th 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

I wish I'd have tried this patch out now! Think I might if i get time over the weekend...
Strider

WOW!!!! a MP fix for avp2!! for mac!! where was this when I needed it, anyone tried it?

I guess it doesnt matter anymore, because I can play it on the windows side, but does this thing work??

#40 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:26 AM

View Postsurge1, on March 9th 2008, 04:22 AM, said:

WOW!!!! a MP fix for avp2!! for mac!! where was this when I needed it, anyone tried it?
I guess it doesnt matter anymore, because I can play it on the windows side, but does this thing work??

and wow from here also, i guess i still don't advertise my server nearly enough  :nods:
Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)