10 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

Blizzard Entertainment has announced that subscribership for World of Warcraft, its award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game, has passed the 10 million mark. The game now includes more than 2 million subscribers in Europe, more than 2.5 million in North America, and approximately 5.5 million in Asia.

"It's very gratifying to see gamers around the world continuing to show such enthusiasm and support for World of Warcraft," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We're always pleased to welcome new players to the game, and we're looking forward to sharing the next major content update with the entire community in the months ahead."

Since debuting in North America on November 23, 2004, World of Warcraft has become the most popular MMORPG around the world. It was the bestselling PC game of 2005 and 2006 worldwide, and finished behind only World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade®, the first expansion pack for the game, in 2007.* In addition to being the bestselling PC game of 2007 in both North America and Europe, The Burning Crusade holds the record for fastest-selling PC game of all time, with nearly 2.4 million copies sold in its first 24 hours of availability and approximately 3.5 million in its first month.* Development is underway on World of Warcraft's second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King™, which was unveiled at the company's BlizzCon™ gaming festival in August 2007.

World of Warcraft is currently available in seven languages, with a Russian version in development and scheduled for release later this year. In addition to North America and Europe, World of Warcraft is played in mainland China, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.
Click on the link below for more information about the game.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

What they don't tell you in these statistics is that among "Subscriber" they also rate inactive accounts that are taking a break or have stopped playing. As long as your character is still present on a server, you're a customer for the statistics.
I've stopped playing around April 15th 2006, but my char is still visible in the armory and I could pay another month and resume playing.
I think that's a great feature, but statistically, I shouldn't be considered a customer, unless I am actively playing.
Now officially the forum idiot

#3 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

That and this isn't a reason to celebrate: wow, we've got ten million people (or accounts, whatever) that play for our dope.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8437 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

View PostG-News, on January 23rd 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

What they don't tell you in these statistics is that among "Subscriber" they also rate inactive accounts that are taking a break or have stopped playing. As long as your character is still present on a server, you're a customer for the statistics.
Sure? Is this somewhere stated? As a "subscriber" I would define somebody who actively pays. That's different from just existing accounts - which numbers certainly exceeds the number of actual subscribers by far.

(This is not to defend Blizzard's numbers in any way - I couldn't care less about WoW. I'm just curious.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

Actually, I wasn't quite correct.
If your account has expired (ie you can no longer play unless you pay), then you're not considered a subscriber anymore.

However:

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition
World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

So, if you pay for 6 months and decide to stop playing 3 weeks after, apart from being an idiot, you will also continue to count as subscriber for the next 5 months and 1 week. And I've known several people who stopped playing long before their account  had actually expired.
Also, I'm not quite sure what the whole Game Room thing means. I guess in asia this is a huge part of the online population.
So while not totally forged, these numbers at least should be taken with some salt.
Now officially the forum idiot

#6 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

Well done Blizzard. I love Warcraft universe and story, WOW is very funny to play with friends.

@QuantaCat
Not a reason? If you don't like WOW simply shut up, but 10 milions players is milestone in history of online games.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13” Touch Bar 2017 i7 3.5Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Mantiz Venus eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
LG 34” 34UC88 Ultrawide Display
Steelseries Rival 700, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism

#7 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

What an interesting game, the only way to win is not to play. ;-)
My name is Steve and I am a WoW addict. I have been 'clean' for over a year now.
Seriously, congrats to Blizzard. It couldn't happen to a better company.
I serve too many masters.

#8 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

It seems that people are very protective of their drugs..

I dont dislike wow, I dont really know wow. But like most MMO, it counts on people having an addiction to it, and WoW defenitely is an "addiction product".

Which, can of course, be said of most games. But still, I don't see this as a reason for celebration, more sortof a sad fact..
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#9 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

View PostG-News, on January 23rd 2008, 06:32 AM, said:

So while not totally forged, these numbers at least should be taken with some salt.
I'm curious as to how much salt was included for the large gold farming population.
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#10 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on January 23rd 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

It seems that people are very protective of their drugs..

I dont dislike wow, I dont really know wow. But like most MMO, it counts on people having an addiction to it, and WoW defenitely is an "addiction product".
Which, can of course, be said of most games. But still, I don't see this as a reason for celebration, more sortof a sad fact..

I really don't get your point. More players plays WOW more it is fun: it is an entire worls, more players mean more poeple in the cities, more on the battle.... and in wow you can do what you want, sell, have fun, jokes, quests, do battledroungs, arenas, role playing.... it is like 1000 games in one. As a personal experience, everybody likes it if played in the right way. It is usually only hwne a player plays only doing quests, he could become a zombie (you said drug indeed) or hate wow. But if you play it with friends it is that damn good.

And celebrating it is also celebrating Blizzard, a software house which always supported us and continue to do in an excellent way.

At least imho... considering WOW a drug and this a bad news is like racism.
ikir's personal page

#11 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:41 AM

Ah i want also add that the best part of WOW is the story. Check websites like WOW Wiki which cover WC1, WC2, WC3, WOW story. You can pass hours reading about things.

www.wowwiki.com
ikir's personal page