4 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8470 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:32 AM

Next Generation takes a look back at Stubbs the Zombie by Wideload Games. The article examines the creativity and commitment of Alexander Seropian and his staff at Wideload on developing the game. Furthermore, the article looks as how Stubbs may have positioned itself as one of the more unique games, not in line with the mainstay of shoot em ups and ancient civilization strategy games.

And even for those who did get the joke, and appreciated the telling, Stubbs is still an easy game to dismiss for its frivolity – a rebel with a cause, maybe, but no consequence, doomed to join God Hand as one of gaming’s unrequited gags. But its place in history is secure. The goal of Seropian’s rebellion wasn’t just to have a giggle, toy with tradition and maybe make some money on the side. It was to prove that you could do those things. That a medium-sized budget, licensed engine (in this case, Halo’s) and tiny in-house team could buy you the chance to be different – and for once get away with it.
Stubbs the Zombie was released for the Mac in 2005 and follows Stubbs journey from the grave to his rampage through the picturesque city of Punchbowl to find his long lost love.

Please follow the links below to learn more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

Can't wait for Wideload's next game... hope it is as creative as this one. Shame Stubbs never went Universal, but if anyone sees this game at their local Mac store I vouch for it's awesomeness (pick up a copy)!

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15744 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Stubbs was fun and funny, challenging yet easy to pick up.  How fun is it to spear farmers on pitchforks welded to a tractor?  All it lacked was a cult following, one it deserved.  The future is a long time though, maybe it will experience a new life... just like any zombie worth it's salt.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

If you want another funny and quirky game, get Psychonauts. Tim Schafer is da man.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15744 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

View Postbobbob, on January 23rd 2008, 05:53 PM, said:

If you want another funny and quirky game, get Psychonauts. Tim Schafer is da man.
I've heard nothing but good about Psychonauts.  I need to buy another platform to play it though.  I'm sure I'm going to get that game after I buy my next Mac.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat