7 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

GarageGames has officially announced development on Fallen Empire: Legions. The first person shooter is scheduled to be the first title for the company's previously announced 3D online game platform, InstantAction.com.

The InstantAction platform is a web browser based engine that will allow players to play networked and single player action games without having to download anything to their machines. GarageGames previously confirmed that the engine would work with both Windows and Mac browsers.

“This is a first person shooter built by hardcore gamers who are wildly passionate about the genre,” said Tim Aste, project director for Fallen Empire: Legions. “The game design allows for us to create a unique experience that brings FPS gaming back to its roots. Legions won’t be just any ordinary jewel matching web game; in terms of graphics and gameplay it will set a new benchmark of what the future of gaming will be on the web.”

"We created InstantAction to give ourselves and the rest of the development community an outlet to make the games they want to play. Rather than churning out sequels or licensed games, we're working with developers focused on creating cool gameplay," said Josh Williams, CEO of GarageGames. "Fallen Empire: Legions will be InstantAction's most advanced example of this so far. Marrying core games with the accessibility and social power of the web is a huge step forward in the industry, and I personally can't wait for this game to be released so I can hop on and start playing everyone."

Developed internally by GarageGames, Fallen Empire: Legions combines distinctive freedom of movement with fast paced first-person combat to create strategic, team-oriented gameplay. The InstantAction platform has allowed Fallen Empire: Legions to leverage the best of what the web has to offer, creating an evolving experience for players that can constantly be improved upon. This is first-person warfare at its fastest and finest!
For more information head over to the InstantAction website at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

this sounds interesting! To say the least.. I'll check out their homepage! SP within a browser  :o
Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#3 Copy

Copy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Does someone get this work? I don't :(

I have 600 IA..

#4 viKKing

viKKing

Psychic Software

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

Well, it is fine to announce that, but since there will be no Open GL support for this engine, we are not concerned at all.

Nothing interesting will come from Garage Games for Mac Users (or Linux guys), as Open GL support is not planned anymore on any engine upgrade.

Developpers are stuck with the TGE engine (the one we are using in Darkwind: War On Wheels, which is the good ol' revamped Tribes 2 engine.
It has its flaws and limited, but it is reliable in many ways.

I'm currently not happy with GarageGames attitude, and many are preparing to move to Unity. I acquired myself a licence to play with it from time to time.
We are even stuck with lack of support for Constructor  :angry: , the free official building tool. Since Leopard, it can't be used anymore as it crashes on saving. I'm using it either with CrossOver or on XP boot mode (thanks Apple for bootcamp!  :nods: ). So, yes, it is time to shift away.

We are not planning to move our game to this engine, due to the amount of code changes that have been made, the licence fee is also a bit higher for a cross-platform solution, but all in all, it is a very good engine, and I would be pleased to use it for another game.
/viKKing
Contributor,
Darkwind: War On Wheels

#5 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

hey viKKing, without continuing on topic - lol - just wanted to say WOW at Darkwind: War On Wheels!
Downloading it now.. Wish I had more time, but having a new baby makes me miss out on the news of things like this!
Looks incredible :D

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#6 viKKing

viKKing

Psychic Software

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

View Poststriderdm1, on January 19th 2008, 03:08 PM, said:

hey viKKing, without continuing on topic - lol - just wanted to say WOW at Darkwind: War On Wheels!
Downloading it now.. Wish I had more time, but having a new baby makes me miss out on the news of things like this!
Looks incredible :D

Strider

Thanks, you are making our day. For a 1 + 1 development team, it is not bad. ;)
We recently had many Windows players, joining this week, as we were briefly mentionned in the official Games for Windows Magazine. I really wish we had more Mac guys playing the game.

There are many indie games out there that are worth playing, regarding team size and budget.
Indie developpers are in general very friendly.

The direction Garage Games is heading is not very good, IMHO, especially stopping support for some buggy tools and code parts. Such announce about their upcoming game, is a typical marketing announce they are used to, but if you read closely the lines, the game being developper on TGEA juggernaut (quoting official writings)

The game team is using Torque Juggernaut (...) orque Juggernaut is an internal build comprised of all our engines and the basis for our next big release. This build has all the internal game teams jazzed and is a very big step toward a next-gen component version of Torque. The engine team has been cranking away and will continue to do so. We'll keep integrating more cool stuff created internally and by 3rd parties. We'll work on polishing the editors and creating new ones. Tons and tons of cool stuff in the works.
From the TGEA update announce:

Ever since I handed off community management to the supremely capable hands of David Blake, I have been jamming away on the next big update to Torque. As many of you know, we spent much of 2007 merging the Torque C++ engine products into one code base which we've been referring to as Torque Juggernaut. There are big opportunities here to update both TGEA and TGE. I focused on TGEA 1.0.3 as a start here, but as you'll see below, we've made some *big* moves.
(...)
I wanted to greatly smooth the transition from TGE to TGEA, so making sure that TGEA supports nearly all of the same features (no OpenGL or Mac support) you have come to expect from TGE, converting over most of the TGE content and mission, and including a lot of tools and functionality that will greatly ease porting a pre-existing TGE project have all been a primary focus. Right now this update will automatically handle unmapped textures and converting older file formats of things like TerrainBlocks and Waterblocks. I have also spent time working on pulling together the best of the Torque documentation and getting it far more organized. The goal here is to make getting started with this next release of TGEA to be comparable to getting started with TGE, if not even easier. TGEA is still a powerful and complex game engine but we're working hard to make it a lot more approachable.(...)
Will this include OpenGL? Sadly, no, this update will not include OpenGL. All of the work we have done on OpenGL is still not ready for release.

Well, you will say to me, aren't they mentionning Open GL? yes, sure and some of the bug fixes included in the TGEA/Juggernaut update they are announcing are expected for about 2 years.
There was supposed to be Open GL on December 2007, every mentions of this has been carefully deleted from the forums and blogs (did I mention GG crew is moderating posts that are not suiting there marketing strategy?), so there may be Open GL support, but really much more later.
I really hope I'm wrong and they will prove it.  ;)

Until then, we have to deal with a not working BSP editor on the Mac, and it really doesn't help.
/viKKing
Contributor,

#7 guategeek

guategeek

BlueGill Studios

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

We have Unity now though, so TGE is not a big loss. Get a copy when you can and start working with it, its a great engine!! www.unity3d.com
------------
BlueGill Studios

#8 viKKing

viKKing

Psychic Software

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

View Postoutcast, on January 19th 2008, 05:04 PM, said:

We have Unity now though, so TGE is not a big loss. Get a copy when you can and start working with it, its a great engine!! www.unity3d.com

From what I have seen on my own copy, and be told by a developper friend of mine that made the switch eralier, it is a very good engine yes.
Darkwind: War on Wheels has about 12/18 months of development/modifications/updates going on from this day, and switching to a new engine would be very difficult at this point.
Although, I'm sure we would gain in graphics and ease of use, the web plug-in is really killing, in the provided demo.
/viKKing
Contributor,