194 replies to this topic

#181 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

I know the difference, but is that an experience based hint, or just a "nobody uses prone" kind of thing? :D (Prone is great for engineering or medicking, by the way. that IS my personal experience)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#182 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

Re soldiers: they're boring in that they're basically the same character that some games have as the ONLY character. However, luckily they had the heavy explosives duty: that makes them more than just transplants from Quake or UT.

Re prone vs. crouch for medics/technicians: yes, PLEASE use the prone option. Please for the love of all that is sweet and decent, when you come to revive me, use the prone option instead of squatting in my face.

Bags of medicine: GOOD.

Bags of stroyent: GOOD.

Bags of tea: BAD BAD BAD SO BAD.

Should I die on the battlefield, that is not the last sight I want see. There is a time and a place where that is appropriate. That time is not 2065, and that place is not Earth.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

#183 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

I will remember these words, when I lie on the floor, proned and dying.

By the way, want to meet up for a game? or do you still have the annoying crash dilemma?
QC.

#184 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

Absolutely--if/when I solve that issue. I'm doing a fresh install now and leaving all settings at default--in case some particular graphical setting is the cause. We'll see.

Freezes aside, I've been having more fun than I expected I would in the first days. Naybe I just got lucky and found other newbies, or maybe it's that I've read a lot in advance, but I didn't feel as lost as I expected to.

I thought I should play as Soldier as a newbie, since it's the most like basic shooters--but it's still so different from UT2004 that I'm not that much use as a Soldier. So I now recommend the medic class for newbies. Or, since I'm a Strogg fan, the technician class.

#185 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

Medic class is great because you only have one aim through the entire campaign: heal the sick. It can spread out pretty much for all other classes. Even the technician heals AND spreads ammo, making it divergent on it's "objective" scala. Or the Oppressor, for example. Sometimes you need to set up a shield, sometimes you need to blast the living hell out of something.
QC.

#186 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

Makes sense. I should give GDF a chance.

Both medics and techs have to deal with spawn hosts though: techs are the only class that can make them, and medics (IIRC) are the only class that can destroy them.

(I don't know what the etiquette is on using your own spawn hosts--my policy has been, if I make ONE host, leave it for others. If I make more, take one for myself.)

Or course, my time playing online thus far rounds down to zero hours!
http://stats.enemyte...rofile/Nagromme

#187 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

It depends on your train of thought: always take one first, THEN leave all others. Because you can make more, making you more important.

By the way, custom maps.

and of course, myself. I took a really long break, though. That's why my stats the way they are now. But atleast I've been training all along ;D
QC.

#188 Nail

Nail

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on April 30th 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

I know the difference, but is that an experience based hint, or just a "nobody uses prone" kind of thing? :D (Prone is great for engineering or medicking, by the way. that IS my personal experience)

prone for revives and construct, crouch for shooting

#189 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

New numbers for "Mac OS X vs Windows" running ETQW. Turns out the Windows version defaults to "0" on Threaded Renderer. The Mac version defaults to "2." So I reran my netdemo on the Mac Pro 3.2GHz with GeForce 8800 GT.

Settings at 1280x800, High:

r_useThreadedRenderer 0
Leopard = 59 fps
Vista 64 = 119 fps

r_useThreadedRenderer 2
Leopard = 77 fps
Vista 64 = 163 fps

Settings at 1920x1200, High:

r_useThreadedRenderer 0
Leopard = 58 fps
Vista 64 = 102 fps

r_useThreadedRenderer 2
Leopard = 73 fps
Vista 64 = 114 fps

Settings at 2560x1600, High

r_useThreadedRenderer 0
Leopard = 55 fps
Vista 64 = 71 fps

r_useThreadedRenderer 2
Leopard = 63 fps
Vista 64 = 71 fps
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#190 Nail

Nail

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

that's odd, have you tried with XP instead of Vista ? (just my curiosity)

seems you Mac lads are getting pooched by Apple when it comes to Vid drivers

#191 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

Drivers... and/or the basic design of the OS. Which isn't all bad--but in raw fps on a ported game, it can be.

#192 Nail

Nail

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

with Macs and PCs pretty much the same hardware, seems implementation of their abilities is lacking somewhere

#193 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Not necessarily: the two OS's handle graphics in very different ways--it's not that one way is flawed but if they are so different, each is bound to be better (or at least faster) at something.

For instance, it's been reported previously that OS X maintains layering from the GPU to the drivers to the OS to the app, and and app can't talk straight to the hardware. (An oversimplification I know.) That may carry a speed penalty yet still be a very good OS design, good for stability and future maintenance/evolution, and possibly facilitating things like Core Animation and Core Image, which are great tools that Mac devs have and Windows devs don't.

Anyway--it could be pure incompetence (and I hope so since that has the potential to be fixed!) but I suspect that more fundamental OS design issues play a role too. I definitely would suspect drivers have a role too--we've seen less that stellar GPU drivers on Macs many times.

And then of course there's the question of which OS the game was optimized for from the ground up: that will always be Windows. (But I'll always prefer gaming on Mac--I like my troubleshooting to be as painless as possible, and I'm not a fan of rebooting! I'll pay some price in fps and not lose sleep over it. I'll also pay some price in game choice--and although I haven't lost sleep yet, I will if the right game comes along for Windows only! I still doubt I'll bother installing Windows just for one or two games. I've been fortunate in having the games I want come to Mac.)

#194 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

You can find me out there, with this name (and 'IMG' as a clan prefix) getting whacked nightly

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#195 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Cool--I'll keep an eye out. Is that LordBrixton or Lord_Brixton?

Find me under this name (but capital N if it matters). Prefix may be [MAC] for Apple Corps (QW clan "MacClan.net") but I'm not using a clan tag until I get good enough not to humiliate the clan and my platform as a whole :P Though if a bunch of IMGers got together I'd certainly wear the IMG tag with pride for a match or three :)

I've been playing a lot--instant junkie. So much so that my hand is hurting and I'm going out now to buy a Fang gamepad (and ControllerMate software) to see if that helps.