194 replies to this topic

#1 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

The low end topic was getting a bit large, so I thought I'd open up a "waiting" thread, for discussion till it's out.

Id just released 1.4. Anyone thinks this means a month or two longer? Or did your people calculate this in, Glenda? (which is probably a stupid question, since it would be poor development if they didn't, from an economic PoV.)

Another thing: anyone want to do a casual IMG clan for ETQW? You know, like a thread where everyone posts their "online times" and a list of servers people like to play on or somesuch. Clan would be too hard a word, I guess..
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:08 AM

Amazon.com and .co.uk both give March as release date. They just can't agree if it's the March 31 or March 13...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

It's always so hard to figure out the order the numbers go in.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#4 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Any news on this title?
I'd like to know whether I should hold off a little longer or whether I can go out now and buy the PC version.
Any chance this title will be released by mid February? I've got people waiting for me to join them online, you know...
Now officially the forum idiot

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

View PostG-News, on January 22nd 2008, 09:57 PM, said:

Any chance this title will be released by mid February? I've got people waiting for me to join them online, you know...
No. See above.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

It's a tough thing. If you know someone who'd buy the PC version off of you for ten bucks less, then buy a mac version, and give him the PC version with the mac serial. That's how I'm going to do it..
QC.

#7 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on January 22nd 2008, 09:15 PM, said:

It's a tough thing. If you know someone who'd buy the PC version off of you for ten bucks less, then buy a mac version, and give him the PC version with the mac serial. That's how I'm going to do it..

you sure thats how theyll do it? that would make it rather easy to pirate it or pseudo pirate it. I believe that you can disassociate a name with a serial number and then recreate the account. Im not entirely sure of the process, but I believe that to be the case.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#8 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

He wont be able to use a Mac OS X serial number with the PC version. Aspyr will make a separate set of them

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#9 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

View PostG-News, on January 22nd 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

Yes. Mid Feb is another month away. Amazon knows nothing official about release dates. They just post guesses--and conservative ones. If Aspyr hasn't told anyone else a date, they certainly haven't given Amazon a date for public posting.

There's also a chance it will NOT be released by mid-Feb. How long will your friends wait for you? :)

(Doesn't matter in my case--I'm not shutting down OS X to play a game in Windows that I can play natively soon enough. And I'm not worried about Quake Wars players disappearing any time soon, considering the longevity that WET has shown.)

Re clans: FWIW Apple Corps is pretty informal, and Quake Wars is the next game that we're waiting to jump into. (In the past we've played a lot of Descent 3, UT2004, Halo and Tremulous. I anticipate UT3 and Gears in future. Battlefield 2142 maybe, but not so far. I'm sure you see the sci-fi trend here...)

#10 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:23 AM

WHAT?!?! I didn't know.. (about the serials)

Seriously, if I knew that, I wouldn't have bought the windows version..

Well then I'm screwed! Whui! I mean, I can create three accounts with my one serial, but still..
QC.

#11 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

Ok, so maybe I'm jumping the gun now, as it is only January 30, but: there goes the January release.
It's been two weeks since the 1.4 Patch on the PC side, so assuming they're trying hard to get the Mac version out in 1.4 flavor, they have about another two weeks left to release, before the next small patch will hit the servers, fixing a few minor issues left in 1.4.
Of course, they can also just wait some more and release the Mac version after there haven't been any updates to the PC version for at least 6 months. That might save some development time, while sacrificing some double digit percentages of sales, probably.
Or they're waiting for Apple to release 10.5.2.
I really don't know, but this is really  taking a long time and I AM growing impatient. Maybe my expectations were just too high and Mac gaming will remain behind Windows release dates forever, either a few months with Cider or a few years with a proper port. You're welcome, you can keep the exaggeration.
Now officially the forum idiot

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

View PostG-News, on January 30th 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

Ok, so maybe I'm jumping the gun now, as it is only January 30, but: there goes the January release.
I'm still betting on March. See above.

#13 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

View PostJanichsan, on January 30th 2008, 07:05 PM, said:

I'm still betting on March. See above.

When something takes this long it always makes me think there's something seriously wrong with it.... QW is the Duke Nukem Forever of 2008.

Oh.

Wait.

Maybe not.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#14 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Leaves of three, let it be.

Leaves of four, wait some more!

I have changed my desktop pic to Quake Wars for good luck.

(The 10.5.2 theory is somewhat plausible: performance was a concern, and I think 10.5.2 has new graphics drivers.)

#15 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:01 AM

View Postnagromme, on January 30th 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

(The 10.5.2 theory is somewhat plausible: performance was a concern, and I think 10.5.2 has new graphics drivers.)

Yup, MacRumors even reported the graphic driver update would be a separate update. Here's hope that update will tripple OpenGL performance  :cool:

#16 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

i spotted that one too. Im pretty certain that Aspyr are working with Apple to get the drivers up to snuff, and when theyre released, Aspyr will ship ETQW...

so, I expect it to be 10.5 only

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#17 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

Why can't they just release it as is, just in time for people to actually get the update?

ah, we'll never know..
QC.

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on January 31st 2008, 04:38 PM, said:

Why can't they just release it as is, just in time for people to actually get the update?
It's quite possible that the game would be basically broken without those driver updates – happened before in other games.

#19 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:49 AM

OK, I had an epiphany today. I've figured it out.

All "mac" serials *will* work on PC and the other way around. The way it's handled is this: the actual software doesn't need any kind of authorisation. But if you want to play online, you need to "log in". And that is where you need your serial. With one serial, you can make up to three accounts. I can't imagine it would be impossible to login if I had a mac client, instead of a PC or Linux… (PS: I *know* this from the PC version. And the Linux version)
QC.

#20 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

no doubt the DVD will have copy protection, meaning that youll need it inserted to play, thus ensuring that its a legit copy (ie, cd key doesnt really matter), but then the serials and accounts might well be cross platform, possibly with the mac ones being slightly different to the PC ones so that they can track the figures of play.

and comparing Mac to PC with Linux to PC is completely null and void. The PC and Linux versions are the same retail package, while the mac version is going to be completely separate.