67 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Aspyr Media today announced at Macworld Expo San Francisco that it will be publishing Call of Duty :Modern Warfare for the Macintosh. Developed by Infinity Ward and licensed by Activision, the game is expected to be available for Mac in May 2008.

Featuring a tense storyline, filled with plot twists, the title thrusts players into battle like never before. With amazing special effects, including rim-lighting, depth of field, texture streaming and character self-shadowing, players are enlisted into one of the most photo-realistic gaming experiences imaginable.

The community-oriented Call of Duty 4 multiplayer gameplay features a robust
leveling system, variety of unlockable perks, hot-join and matchmaking, as well as create a class and party capabilities to ensure that players of all skill levels can join in the fun. Additionally over 100 challenges and a host of new game environments and modes deliver unlimited possibilities. Infinity Ward has also included Kill-Cam, a fan favorite feature that they created in Call of Duty 2 which allows for spectator instant replays.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare will soon be available for pre-order for $49.95.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Ha! I was quicker than that! ;)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Who Knows?

Who Knows?

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

View PostIMG News, on January 15th 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

included Kill-Cam, a fan favorite feature that they created in Call of Duty 2 <BR><BR><P STYLE="text-align:center;font-weight:bold;font-size:11px;"><A HREF="/news/story.php?ArticleID=16103" TARGET="_blank">Return to Full Article</A> - InsideMacGames News</P>

Kill cam came in the original call of duty not 2.  and here is a link:  http://www.insidemac...showtopic=32586 to the other forum topic not in the news section just to get more peoples posts.
This isn't the signature you're looking for.

#4 Michael Yanovich

Michael Yanovich

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

Ach, I wish they would announce these things earlier. I've already beaten the single player campain and done countless hours of multiplayer COD4 on my xbox... and I'd probably have waited instead for the Mac version had I known it was coming.  That said, I'm very happy it's coming to the Mac market. It's a fantastic game!

#5 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'll buy that for...uh, $50

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

I'm extremely skeptical.  Having been a part of the development process of a couple of PC ports, I'd bet my lunch that CoD4 for the Mac will run at least 30% slower than the PC version and miss a couple of the SM 3.0 features (none of which were groundbreaking) that the DirectX-powered version has.  While the performance penalty might not matter for users with Mac Pros equipped with X1900 or 8800-series graphics cards, any performance penalty at all will render all 15" MacBook Pros unable to play the Call of Duty 4 with the settings at maximum (not counting FSAA and AF) at 1440x900.  

My guess is that Aspyr is betting on the possibility that a large number of Mac gamers (ha!), that are not detail-oriented (ha ha!), and don't give a rip about the niceties brought to the table by the Steam Community (ha ha ha!) will prefer this version over booting into Windows (okay, so there might be a couple).

Before I run to class, let me clarify: it's not that I don't think that Aspyr isn't fully committed or that I doubt their ability to do a good port; it's that the roadblocks that Apple has presented through design, malice, or even neglect are too monumental to be overcome in a fashion that's profitable for Aspyr.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#7 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#8 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 15th 2008, 08:26 PM, said:

any performance penalty at all will render all 15" MacBook Pros unable to play the Call of Duty 4 with the settings at maximum (not counting FSAA and AF) at 1440x900.

can you do that in windows?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#9 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

This is good news but I'm guessing like all Aspyr games of late this will be Intel only so my G5 will be out. :(  

I guess I'll have to buy it and stick it on the shelf until I can get a Mac Pro. At least I'll have Tomb Raider Anniversary  :happy: to play in the meantime as Feral are still giving us something.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on January 15th 2008, 04:11 PM, said:

NO[snip]

But do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

--Eric

#11 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

Sweet! Another awesome title that I would consider buying for my mac!
Moof!

#12 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Whenever Aspyr announces a game that isn't Civ IV: Beyond the Sword it makes me cry inside.

#13 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

View Postteflon, on January 15th 2008, 03:21 PM, said:

can you do that in windows?

Yes.  Under Windows XP SP3, I can run with everything maxed (AF and FSAA filtering down to nil,however) at 1440x900.  It drops below 30 fps every once in a while in the singleplayer, but even then, it bottoms out at 22-25 fps or so.  Most of the time, the framerate is in the 35-45 fps range.  If I added another two gigs of RAM, I might be able to push the framerate a bit higher, but as I've said before, the 8600M GT is the limiting factor.
InsideMacGames.com

#14 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

Ahhhhh.... now only if I could afford the new comp to play it on! I'd MUCH prefer a mouse to the gamepads but I've been having a lot of fun playing it online for PS3. My bro got a Live account for the 360 but apparently you need a damn Live account for EACH 360 account to play online. Bollocks! I picked up the PS3 version and have been playing it all the time whilst I can't get my TC:E fix because my 9800Pro keeps overheating and the graphics slowly get worse. God-willing after this post I'm going to attempt to replace the thermal paste although I've no real idea if that'll help or I need a replacement.

PEACE!

CoD4!!!
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#15 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

View Postmattw, on January 15th 2008, 04:24 PM, said:

This is good news but I'm guessing like all Aspyr games of late this will be Intel only so my G5 will be out. :(  

I guess I'll have to buy it and stick it on the shelf until I can get a Mac Pro. At least I'll have Tomb Raider Anniversary  :happy: to play in the meantime as Feral are still giving us something.

I went to their site and they say not a peep about Intel only... I take that to mean it sure IS Intel only (are they trying to somehow fool us?). Indeed, my G5 tower is out. However, as it may be the second half of this year that I get a Mac Pro tower, I will buy the pc version then; I'll bet it will undoubtedly be cheaper than the Mac version.

Rebooting into winblowz just is not an issue like some make it out to be... this is NOT a game that one plays with for 5-10 or 15 minutes at a clip. Whenever I play such a game (HUGE fan of CoD) I make sure I have at least an hour (usually longer).

#16 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:25 PM

Paulc, if you don't mind, you'd be better off buying a 20" iMac and building a $1500 PC (both systems will roughly equate to the price of a stock Mac Pro, and the PC system will be lot faster).
InsideMacGames.com

#17 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

That's pretty silly.  Then you'd be stuck with a non-expandable Mac, and the bother of screwing around with two computers.  Remember what I said about normal people who have lives?  Hardly anyone buys a Mac solely as a gaming machine, and there are a lot of reasons to buy a Mac Pro that have nothing to do with gaming.

--Eric

#18 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 17th 2008, 06:52 PM, said:

That's pretty silly.  Then you'd be stuck with a non-expandable Mac, and the bother of screwing around with two computers.  Remember what I said about normal people who have lives?  Hardly anyone buys a Mac solely as a gaming machine, and there are a lot of reasons to buy a Mac Pro that have nothing to do with gaming.

Yup. I was seriously contemplating getting a gaming PC, but then I realized that:

1) I will probably only use one computer regularly
2) I want that to be my gaming computer
3) If it's my gaming computer, then I will have to migrate to Windows

That pretty much ended the idea and I decided to wait for a Mac Pro with an 8800 and Blu-ray (most importantly the 8800). Now to start working on ways to swing a purchase in a few months...
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#19 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

Personally, I see no reason to buy a Mac Pro unless you're doing scientific/creative work in Mac OS X.  I can build a $1500 machine that'll blow away the top-of-the-line 3.2 GHz Mac Pro variant with the 8800 GT option.  Stay tuned--I'm working on the possibility of an article, but my quest to make it into several research labs over here at UIUC is making things difficult.
InsideMacGames.com

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 17th 2008, 08:16 PM, said:

Personally, I see no reason to buy a Mac Pro unless you're doing scientific/creative work in Mac OS X.  I can build a $1500 machine that'll blow away the top-of-the-line 3.2 GHz Mac Pro variant with the 8800 GT option.
But can you make that $1500 machine run Mac OS X when you're not gaming? No?

Do not want.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.