224 replies to this topic

#221 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

The Mac App Store version is 1.23.1765. Is that up to date with the PC version?  Based on Diablofett's comments I'm assuming it's possible to install the PC expansions in the Mac version (using Crossover)?

I see Steam has a "Platinum Edition" for the PC that includes the expansions for $9.99. Obviously that's the better deal but there's something to be said for simply downloading it from the Mac App Store and playing it immediately with no hassle vs messing around with WINE or Crossover and trying to get something to work well enough. I haven't yet looked into available WINE wrappers or Crossover compatibility.

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to get it or not but whatever version I would get would definitely have to support the expansions, online play, and work in Lion.

Any comments?

-PN

P.S. Aspyr is apparently having a big sale Monday so perhaps NWN 2 will be even cheaper then.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#222 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

View PostTacohead, on 23 November 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

The Mac App Store version is 1.23.1765. Is that up to date with the PC version?  Based on Diablofett's comments I'm assuming it's possible to install the PC expansions in the Mac version (using Crossover)?

I see Steam has a "Platinum Edition" for the PC that includes the expansions for $9.99. Obviously that's the better deal but there's something to be said for simply downloading it from the Mac App Store and playing it immediately with no hassle vs messing around with WINE or Crossover and trying to get something to work well enough. I haven't yet looked into available WINE wrappers or Crossover compatibility.

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to get it or not but whatever version I would get would definitely have to support the expansions, online play, and work in Lion.

Any comments?

-PN

P.S. Aspyr is apparently having a big sale Monday so perhaps NWN 2 will be even cheaper then.

Yes, 1.23.1765 is the current version for both Mac and PC clients. Supposedly a 1.24 patch exists, but it was supposedly postponed/cancelled due to the legal issues between Atari and WoTC.
That steam version should all you to play on persistent worlds and with PC users. I would assume it would have the data files formatted the same, so it would likely allow you to drag and drop the expansion files in like I did on the mac side.
I have the original box versions to all of these games, so my efforts required more work for sure. I had to update my PC client up to 1.23 and then transfer the updated files to my mac version. NWN2 on the pc side has like... 20+ patches, so updating was no fun.
This Macbook Pro came with Lion and NWN2 did play on it. I did not do extensive testing, but loading a save game and running around Port Llast worked just fine for me. I later removed Lion from this computer and got 10.6 running after some tinkering. I did not care for Lion, I gave it a chance.

#223 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

So I ended buying the Steam PC Platinum version for $10 over the weekend. I rarely buy PC games but when I do it's usually something older that only costs a few bucks from GOG or Steam that never made it to the Mac or no longer runs on modern Macs. So $10 is actually the most I've ever spent on a PC game but the alternative was $20 for the Mac version with no expansions included.

I'm happy to say it runs perfectly in the Wineskin wrapper available on the Porting Team's website. There's also a Cider wrapper available for this Steam Platinum version, and that works pretty well also except for all the characters having flickering textures on their bodies (maybe something to do with my ATI 4850HD?).

In any event I'm really pleased with this and I'm looking forward to playing more!

-PN

P.S. Sorry Aspyr but I'd still buy the Mac version if you throw in the expansions and sell a Mac Platinum Edition! Posted Image
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#224 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

Glad to see you got some form of Neverwinter Nights 2 working. Good choice on the pricing. I myself still prefer to use native applications over Wine wrappers, but it is just a matter of personal preference.

View PostTacohead, on 29 November 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

So I ended buying the Steam PC Platinum version for $10 over the weekend. I rarely buy PC games but when I do it's usually something older that only costs a few bucks from GOG or Steam that never made it to the Mac or no longer runs on modern Macs. So $10 is actually the most I've ever spent on a PC game but the alternative was $20 for the Mac version with no expansions included.

I'm happy to say it runs perfectly in the Wineskin wrapper available on the Porting Team's website. There's also a Cider wrapper available for this Steam Platinum version, and that works pretty well also except for all the characters having flickering textures on their bodies (maybe something to do with my ATI 4850HD?).

In any event I'm really pleased with this and I'm looking forward to playing more!

-PN

P.S. Sorry Aspyr but I'd still buy the Mac version if you throw in the expansions and sell a Mac Platinum Edition! Posted Image

#225 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

Just a heads-up: NWN 2 is part of the current Macupdate Bundle, along with TechTools Pro 6, Total Finder and a couple of other apps. All for $50. (Main selling point is TT6, though.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"