9 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:11 AM

GameTap has posted a new retrospective of the Ion Storm's classic Deus Ex. The game's combination of first person shooter action and role playing elements made it a hit with many gamers. The article examines the storyline and features which made Deus EX unique.

Up until Deus Ex, most RPG-shooter hybrids--such as System Shock and the Ultima Underworld games--were set in the equivalent of haunted houses: carefully contained environments with their own stylized and internally consistent worlds, stocked with monsters for the killing. But Deus Ex tried to break out of that paradigm into the wider world, ranging back and forth among real-world locations like New York, Paris, and Hong Kong, which were all stocked with NPCs. A year later, Grand Theft Auto III would come along and blow the lid off previous attempts at living worlds, and eventually games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Oblivion would push the concept even further. But at the time, Deus Ex was bold and unprecedented. It is to living worlds what Doom is to shooters.

The world created by Deus Ex was a memorable one. It was oddly prescient, though not for supposing a terrorist attack on a New York City landmark (remember that the World Trade Center had already been bombed in 1993 and the Statue of Liberty had been destroyed in Planet of the Apes in 1968). Instead, it was prescient for suggesting a dramatically shifted political landscape in the aftermath of the attack. This was the starting point for wide-ranging flights of dystopian fancy, which tied together diverse plots and machinations. By the time you saved or doomed the world, depending on your choice of ending, you had dealt with every conspiracy theory in the book: black helicopters, the Illuminati, Area 51, Majestic 12, and so on. Deus Ex was nothing if not generous. Along the way were memorable characters like your cohorts and eventual rivals at UNATCO, your brother Paul, the snake-like Walter Simons, Tracer Tong, and of course, Bob Page
Read the rest of the retrospective at the link provided below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 SciTeach

SciTeach

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

I've ALWAYS wondered why they never made a sequel to this game.   :blink:
Very interesting storyline.
It was fun and re-playable.  
Great modifications and powerups.
One of the best shooters ever made.

#3 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:34 AM

View PostSciTeach, on January 9th 2008, 02:27 PM, said:

Uh, they did.  

It just never made it over to the Mac side (although some people probably didn't regret that, at least the diehard
original fans).

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

My two favorite game types are FPS and RPG.  Deus Ex changed the way I thought of games and then vanished off the face of the Earth.  I have always wondered why FPS RPG's weren't done more often, it was apparently a big hit, what's the deal?    I'll tell you what the deal is, it's a CONSPIRACY I tell you, that's what the deal is!!!!!!!!!!exclamationpointjoke!!!!!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

theyre also making Deus Ex 3...

in original Deus Ex UT2004 mod news things, the guys estimate of january/february release was apparently way to optimistic, and his next guess is a long wait till September where he can do loads of work on it over the summer holidays.

actually, he did say that he managed to play through right to the end in the mod, so it seems to be mainly GUI work and little niggles. Which is brilliant.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

I hope they do system shock 3 right. (reason for mention ss3: the same guys have the license.)
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

remember that the World Trade Center had already been bombed in 1993 and the Statue of Liberty had been destroyed in Planet of the Apes in 1968

Er...no...the Statue of Liberty was the only thing left of New York City.   Not to mention that it had nothing whatsoever to do with terrorist attacks in any way.  What a terrible example.  ;)

--Eric

#8 IPY da Pinhead

IPY da Pinhead

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

View PostSciTeach, on January 9th 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

They made a sequel, I got it off steam recently and played some of it in boot camp. It has *nothing* on the original, the storyline is stilted, the UI is annoying and I miss many of the elements from the original game, the graphics are nice, but come at the expense of insanely long loading times for the levels (which are incredibly short, seriously, walk down a few hallways and you come to another 1 minute load screen). The game also feels like the alternate options to move through levels (ie stealthing through vents etc) are "artificial?" hard to describe, it's like they're an afterthought to the game, rather than a part of the core design.

I think that a big strength of the original is that it drew on actual places for many of the levels, and the good old UT engine does nice big outdoor areas very well, which added to the immersiveness of the game, to the point where you don't mind the bad face bitmaps, because the voice acting, the plot and the way the game draws you in are superior to any SPRPG game that I have played since. Period. I have yet to find a single-player game as good as Deus Ex, but I hope it happens one day.

#9 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

It was one of the most rewarding games ever.
The countless hours I spent running around with crates, setting up blockades
for yet to spawn NPC's. Then after placing the dynamite or gasbombs triggering
the trigger, I laughed my socks of. :lol:

And there where always 'goodies' around. And so many things you missed on your
first run, or even second, like the place jock lived. And that inventory screen how
horrible did you not feel when you had to leave your rocket launcher behind in favor
of something else?

(runs off to his powerbook to install DX again)

#10 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

View PostRiko, on January 9th 2008, 09:37 PM, said:

And so many things you missed on your first run, or even second, like the place jock lived.

I managed to miss the first augmentation cannister on my first play through. I still can't believe I didn't see it.

View PostRiko, on January 9th 2008, 09:37 PM, said:

And that inventory screen how horrible did you not feel when you had to leave your rocket launcher behind in favor of something else?

I'm pretty sure anyone would pick the energy sword over the GEP gun. ;)
Though I admit that I really did want to take the plasma weapons with me, but could never justify the space. Oh well, at least I always used the disposable plasma pistols whenever I got the chance.