5 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:00 AM

MacWindows is reporting that CodeWeavers will be releasing a version of its CrossOver Mac virtualization software specifically designed for games. The gaming version will be able to run more Windows game titles than the current version of CrossOver.

CrossOver Gaming will be optimized for games and updated more frequently then the more traditional versions. CrossOver Mac is already compatible with hundreds of gaming titles including: Call of Duty 2; Half Life 2; Team Fortress 2; World of Warcraft; EVE Online; and Steam. The new application will offer a subscription model for users not wanting to commit to purchasing CrossOver Mac or CrossOver Linux Professional. The anticipated price should be around $5.00 per month. CodeWeavers is planning to release this version later this year.
Head over to the website linked below to read more.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8437 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

Ah, Codeweavers is obviously trying to fill the Cedega gap – including that stupid subscription model. But why the frell should we buy (or subscribe) a virtualisation program to play games that we have as (more or less) native versions (CoD 2, EVE Online and WoW)?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:21 AM

the only one on that (admittedly) short list that id care about is steam. finally playing HL2 and TF2 etc. without rebooting would be nice even if i have to sacrifice some visuals... my only worry is that it wont be 3D capable enough...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4127 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

HL2 support would make me try it out... But if it has no 3D support.. Its a no go.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8437 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

View Postteflon, on January 8th 2008, 03:21 PM, said:

the only one on that (admittedly) short list that id care about is steam. finally playing HL2 and TF2 etc. without rebooting would be nice even if i have to sacrifice some visuals... my only worry is that it wont be 3D capable enough...

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on January 8th 2008, 03:27 PM, said:

HL2 support would make me try it out... But if it has no 3D support.. Its a no go.
Don't worry. CrossOver already supports all Source Engine games – not necessarily with all possible glitz, but with quite a lot of it. Unfortunately, even the most recent version (6.2) shows some ugly artifacts. No game breakers, but annoying enough for me to give up on CO.

The Half-Life series is actually one of the few games well playable on CrossOver.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 PMAvers162

PMAvers162

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, I've been surprised how well TF2's been working via CrossOver. It's been my preferred way to play it, so I don't have to Boot Camp it all the time.

One of the recent patches re-broke the window text for me, though. *grumbles* Menus still show up fine.

Part of me wonders why you'd run WoW or EVE through Crossover, though, since there's a native/close enough to native Mac version out already.