12 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

Inside Mac Games has posted a review for XTracPads Zoom v2 mouse pad. Here's a clip from the review:

The Zoom v2 is thin. Measuring 8.5 x 11" and thinner than a credit card, this semi-hard mouse pad is an attractive option for those who want to lose the damaging and inconsistent surface of their desk without feeling as if they've subjugated it with a thick layer of rubber. Such diminutive proportions might be especially useful to users that are constantly on the go, since the size of the Zoom v2 makes it possible to fit between the halves of a closed notebook during transit.
To check out the rest of the review, follow the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

As always, if you have any feedback, fire away!  I welcome comments of all shapes and sizes--it really helps make these reviews better for the people that matter most (you guys)!  At the moment, I'm most interested in the following three things:
  • Did the review contain enough information to make an informed buying decision?
  • Was the article interesting, or did you nod off halfway through?
  • Do you feel that the score given was correct and if not, what score do you feel more accurately represented the written content?
Thanks!
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:14 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 7th 2008, 01:23 PM, said:

As always, if you have any feedback, fire away!  I welcome comments of all shapes and sizes--it really helps make these reviews better for the people that matter most (you guys)!  At the moment, I'm most interested in the following three things:
  • Did the review contain enough information to make an informed buying decision?
  • Was the article interesting, or did you nod off halfway through?
  • Do you feel that the score given was correct and if not, what score do you feel more accurately represented the written content?
Thanks!

Hi,

The article was pretty short, imo. Not bad, but short. There are actually mouse requirements
for this mouse pad: See here.

I'm kinda surprised mouse pads, have mouse requirements honestly. I still use my standard Apple mice with my Macs. So, this is kinda disheartening. But, oh well. Progress waits for no one.

Attractive design.
Though, I personally like a nice cushy pad for my hand. A super thin mouse mat is out of my scope presently. There's a lot of really nice looking pads I've seen online elsewhere that I might consider sometime.

$12.95 aint a bad price though. :)

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

View Postyo-mike, on January 10th 2008, 02:14 AM, said:

The article was pretty short, imo.

It's about a mouse pad.  :)  How much can you write about a mouse pad?  Actually, don't answer that; the previous mouse pad review was way too long...this was much better....

There are actually mouse requirements for this mouse pad: See here.

No, they just listed some mice that are "compatible" with it.  Which is sort of like saying "we tested the following shoes, and they are compatible with walking on the ground."  If your mouse isn't broken, then it's "compatible" with the mouse pad.  Unless it's one of those weird mice that needed special mouse pads with a grid pattern on them to work, I guess.

I still use my standard Apple mice with my Macs.

:crazy:

--Eric

#5 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:31 AM

Would you prefer a longer article?  What would you have liked more detail about--testing results, perhaps?

Also, there aren't any mouse requirements.  Read that thing that you posted again, and you'll note that it's a list of mice that they've tested the pad with.  Apparently, they're a little bit behind over there. ;)

Edit: Bah--Eric5h5 beat me to it.  That probably explains how he got to 4000 posts before I did.  :P
InsideMacGames.com

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:40 AM

View PostEric5h5, on January 10th 2008, 02:28 AM, said:

It's about a mouse pad.  :)  How much can you write about a mouse pad?  Actually, don't answer that; the previous mouse pad review was way too long...this was much better....

Yes, I agree.  However, it's very possible that this review was a bit too short--I may have over-compensated for the last one.  

Regardless, don't make the mistake of thinking that page count indicates how much time I spent with the product.  Although it'd be quite a stretch, I might be able to write a 3-5 page monster article detailing everything I did to the pad.  However, doing that would require two things: an upgrade from volunteer status, and an extremely attentive audience (or boredom on my part).  

I don't receive any compensation for doing these articles other than the products that some kind companies (like XTracPads) allow me to keep.  I did the math a while back to see what I'm "earning" by doing this, and if you could magically dump the retail cost of every product I've reviewed into a lump sum and divided it by the amount of time that I've spent writing to companies, negotiating the shipment of products, researching, testing, writing, and publishing--it comes out to about $2.50/hour.  If I didn't like learning about new products and talking about them, or it was about the money, then I would've been gone a long time ago.  :)
InsideMacGames.com

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:57 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 10th 2008, 03:40 AM, said:

However, it's very possible that this review was a bit too short

Nope.  ;)  Conciseness is a virtue.

--Eric

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

View PostEric5h5, on January 10th 2008, 12:57 AM, said:

Nope.  ;)  Conciseness is a virtue.

--Eric
Yep.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

I don't have any feedback that you requested, just a comment that since I got my first optical mouse I quit using mouse pads.  I find that they tend to make the cursor jump unexpectedly and that the "soft" plastic surface of mousepads gum up.  My formica desktop doesn't have that problem and if it gets dirty a shot of window cleaner and a paper towel clean it easily.  Of course, my desktop is worn very smooth, much smoother than a new formica top so your results may vary with your own formica desk top.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

I too went for a extended period of mousepadlessness after getting an optical mouse, but now I have a Qwk Steel mouse pad, similar to this.  No cursor jumping, no gumming up (it can be wiped clean easily), and it's just thick enough that extended mousing doesn't start hurting the edge of my hand, like my hard desktop does.

(Oooh, look, I'm a "Verbal Windbag" now.  What was I saying about conciseness earlier?)

--Eric

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 10th 2008, 09:28 AM, said:

...and it's just thick enough that extended mousing doesn't start hurting the edge of my hand, like my hard desktop does.
You know what I've done?  I've taken to wearing a white cotton glove with the fingers cut off.  The edge of my hand flies across the desk with little wear and tear.  In essence, I've wrapped the mouse pad around my hand and let the mouse run around naked on the desk.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 10th 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

In essence, I've wrapped the mouse pad around my hand and let the mouse run around naked on the desk.

That is so wrong!  It's like you live in backwards land or something!!!!  Will nobody think of the poor mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Eric

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Me Bizarro Cat.  Me mouse hard.  Me win or me break stuff.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat