Racing wheels

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

I am happy to report the Logitech Momo Force Feedback Racing Wheel works great with Colin McRae Rally Mac.  

Also-after trying to get my Saitek R440 wheel to work Feral advised me it did not meet HID standards and therefore is NOT supported.

#2 linkc

linkc

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Well, I can't say so. I also have Momo Force Feedback which works excellent with Ford racing and F1 2000 championship. Unfortunately it is very difficult to drive Colin McRae with. I can't control any car.
Though I configured my wheel as it is explained here:
http://support.feral.......t=40&id=241
but it have not helped much.

#3 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

View Postlinkc, on January 5th 2008, 09:23 PM, said:

Well, I can't say so. I also have Momo Force Feedback which works excellent with Ford racing and F1 2000 championship. Unfortunately it is very difficult to drive Colin McRae with. I can't control any car.
Though I configured my wheel as it is explained here:
http://support.feral.......t=40&id=241
but it have not helped much.

When I first tried the game I tried challanges and couldn't control the car.  Then I read the manual again and on page 3 it suggests starting with career.  I adjusted the wheel using the same support from Feral and IT WORKED!  I set the saturation bars about halfway between center and max and the dead zone bars about 1/8" out from center.  I haven't retried challanges again because I'm having so much fun in career!  Good luck.

#4 linkc

linkc

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

Thanks, I will try it.

#5 Melaure

Melaure

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

View PostBill, on January 5th 2008, 05:49 AM, said:

I am happy to report the Logitech Momo Force Feedback Racing Wheel works great with Colin McRae Rally Mac.  

Also-after trying to get my Saitek R440 wheel to work Feral advised me it did not meet HID standards and therefore is NOT supported.

Hi,

what is HID Standard ?

Do you know if the new Saitek R660GT meets these standards ?

#6 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

View PostMelaure, on January 12th 2008, 04:19 AM, said:

what is HID Standard ?
http://en.wikipedia....ce_device_class

Basically it's a standardised way for mice, gamepads, joysticks and the like to behave, so you (theoretically at least) only need one driver for all compliant devices.

#7 Melaure

Melaure

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:18 AM

View PostTesseract, on January 12th 2008, 04:21 AM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....ce_device_class

Basically it's a standardised way for mice, gamepads, joysticks and the like to behave, so you (theoretically at least) only need one driver for all compliant devices.

Thanks.

But no mention on it on Saitek Web Site for the R660GT ...  :(

#8 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Just wanted to let anyone who cared know that in my experience over the years....

Momo Racing works well with:
VGP2 (HD :happy: )
VGP3
F1 CS 2000
Nascar 2003 with all extra MODS and Addons
Ford Racing 2
Total Immersion Racing
Redline
Colin McRae Rally
Jammin Racer (strange FFB)
Rally Shift (No FFB)
VDrift Beta

Doesn't play nice with:
Torcs (v. 1.2.4) Even with added scripts
Racer Beta
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#9 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

View Postlinkc, on January 6th 2008, 04:37 PM, said:

Thanks, I will try it.
Hi again--did you get the wheel working ok ?
Bill

#10 linkc

linkc

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

View PostBill, on January 20th 2008, 11:36 AM, said:

Hi again--did you get the wheel working ok ?
Bill

Hi, it works but I can not choose some settings in Career section, for example all I can do is choose Race in that section.
:angry:

#11 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

View Postlinkc, on January 21st 2008, 12:05 AM, said:

Hi, it works but I can not choose some settings in Career section, for example all I can do is choose Race in that section.
:angry:

Have you tried
- turning the wheel right/left
- pressing the gas and brake pedals
- pressing all buttons on the wheel?

#12 linkc

linkc

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:25 PM

View Postmaccer, on January 22nd 2008, 08:13 AM, said:

Have you tried
- turning the wheel right/left
- pressing the gas and brake pedals
- pressing all buttons on the wheel?

Yes, I did all that and sometimes wasn't able to leave section. So, I had to quit game.

#13 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on January 15th 2008, 05:23 AM, said:

Doesn't play nice with:
Racer Beta

Actually, Momo FF Wheel does work quite nicely with Racer.

But the problem with Racer is that different car makers use very different setups for steering and tyre friction values. So, some cars are really excellent right from the start, and some are real nightmare unless you tweak them a lot.

#14 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

View PostAri, on February 2nd 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

Actually, Momo FF Wheel does work quite nicely with Racer.

But the problem with Racer is that different car makers use very different setups for steering and tyre friction values. So, some cars are really excellent right from the start, and some are real nightmare unless you tweak them a lot.
Really? I have not been able to get my Momo to work with Racer at all. It will recognize it, but will not allow me to map. What version of the beta are you running? Also, what version of OSX are you running?

Maybe I need to add the Momo's ID# to the default.ini?

#15 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

I'm running the latest Mac version (0.5.3 beta 1.5) on OSX 10.4.11.

There is a bug in Racer control setup options: if you assign everything there and then click OK/Save, Racer will erase all control settings. :(
To make it work you need to open default.ini in a text editor program and adjust your settings by editing the text. You can still use the option/controls to check the values that Racer reads when you turn the wheel or press the pedals - just write the values on a paper and use them when you edit the default.ini manually. Make a backup of your default.ini in a safe place, so that you don't erase your working controls, if you accidentally happen to press save button in control settings.

Here's a thread in RaceSimCentral about setting up the wheel for Mac version of Racer:
http://forum.racesim...ad.php?t=191244

In post #9, you'll find my default.ini and some instructions that should help you define the correct values for your wheel.

When you launch Racer press control+4. You'll get a lot of telemetry readings on the screen, check that you get full range of throttle and brake: 0%-100%. If not then you need to adjust the min and max values of throttle and brakes in default.ini.

Hope this helps!

#16 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

View PostAri, on February 4th 2008, 02:49 PM, said:

There is a bug in Racer control setup options: if you assign everything there and then click OK/Save, Racer will erase all control settings. :(
To make it work you need to open default.ini in a text editor program and adjust your settings by editing the text. You can still use the option/controls to check the values that Racer reads when you turn the wheel or press the pedals - just write the values on a paper and use them when you edit the default.ini manually. Make a backup of your default.ini in a safe place, so that you don't erase your working controls, if you accidentally happen to press save button in control settings.

Here's a thread in RaceSimCentral about setting up the wheel for Mac version of Racer:

In post #9, you'll find my default.ini and some instructions that should help you define the correct values for your wheel.

When you launch Racer press control+4. You'll get a lot of telemetry readings on the screen, check that you get full range of throttle and brake: 0%-100%. If not then you need to adjust the min and max values of throttle and brakes in default.ini.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. Will try when I get home.

#17 hamishb

hamishb

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

Having trouble getting my new Mac Pro (early 2008) recognising my Momo steering wheel in Nascar 2003.

Have done the standard install from the CD-ROM (works OKwith keyboard), and upgraded with the 1.2 update (at which point the whole graphics goes to rot and I get flickering etc).

Any ideas?

Formula 1 CS 2000 works fine!

#18 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:43 AM

View PostAri, on February 4th 2008, 02:49 PM, said:

Hope this helps!
Turns out, the product ID I put into the default.ini was incorrect. Once I entered it correctly, it worked perfectly. Sad that it took me that long to realize it though. :glare:

For anyone running 10.5 (Leopard), there is a new Racer Beta (0.5.4) available for mac HERE.

#19 miclar1

miclar1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:28 AM

View Posthamishb, on February 17th 2008, 11:39 PM, said:

Having trouble getting my new Mac Pro (early 2008) recognising my Momo steering wheel in Nascar 2003.

Have done the standard install from the CD-ROM (works OKwith keyboard), and upgraded with the 1.2 update (at which point the whole graphics goes to rot and I get flickering etc).

Any ideas?

Formula 1 CS 2000 works fine!

I had a little trouble also on my 24" iMac but at he time I thought it was because I had not done a fresh install.... I had dragged the game complete with many mods and other addons from my G4 PowerBook. NR2003 has always been a bit finiky recognizing steering wheels, perhaps even more so on Intel Macs. For my Black MOMO, I had to run the Nascar03 Config application a few times, but it finally worked perfectly (better than on my G4 PB).  

You mention the v1.2 update patch... the most recent are the 1.27 and 1.2.8. They must be applied in order. The 1.2.7 allows the installation of the various mods and the 1.2.8 allows you also to run the game without the CD in the drive. You can get the patches there (look under "Sim Update"):

http://rlrl.firebran.../downloads.html

Regarding the game's graphics, try these tweaks:
http://www.2fnlowdes...weaker/calc.php

The ".ini" files can be opened with TextEdit to make the changes.
No Games but Racing Sims

#20 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hi, everyone,

I have a Logitech NASCAR Racing Wheel, and I was having problems using it with Colin McRae Rally right off the bat. I could drive the cars (for some definition of driving) but I was having a devil of a time trying to move from one screen to another. I'm going to go back and try tweaking the saturation bars, etc. But I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with Colin and this wheel. Working fine? Not? Your mileage varying? (pun intended ;-)
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio