No replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

MacNN has posted a review of the GameTap service for Mac users. Although limited in comparison to the Windows version, the Mac client now offers access to over 500 games from 13 platforms. Citing the limitations of the service MacNN gave GameTap a score of 2.5 out of 5.

I finally discovered a small checkbox that let me see Macintosh-playable games buried in the sorted-by-type list, which is helpful. Of course, I used the site for hours before discovering this option. Out of 87 family-oriented games, only two old Atari games were available for the Mac.

I'm a nonviolent person and found hardly anything that looked less than mildly violent in the free game list, until I realized that you can sort the games by rating. It might help if there was some key as to what are the ratings though. Unless you pay, you must watch poorly put together ads before you can play any of the free games, and good luck getting back to the free game list. The ads are not age appropriate to the games and I was offended to see violent and over the top sexual references in the games advertised. These ads come up in the paid version also, which I found plain rude.

I always find it curious how you can tell the focus of a site just by its design. The front pages are very busy, links are scattered around, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the user interface, and I use that term loosely. It's almost as if different people are tossing in content willy-nilly and expect the user to trip over what they want. The page was just a mess in comparison to most Apple-oriented web sites. I did most of my rooting around on the web site, but the others focused on the GameTap application, which didn't work very well for me in Tiger, but worked much better in Leopard. The site includes US military ads that I found offensive, and lots of links to the best and most popular games, none of which worked on the Mac.
To read the rest of the review head over to the site listed below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News