COD2 & Leopard

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 splatterguts

splatterguts

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

Call of Duty 2 lags horribly in single and multiplayer when running the game in Leopard on my Macbook Pro. It runs smoothly in Tiger on my iMac G5. I've read many others are experiencing the same problem. Does anyone know whether there will be a patch from Aspyr or Apple to fix this problem? I contacted Aspyr support, but they basically blew me off. :angry:

#2 Chris14

Chris14

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

View Postsplatterguts, on January 2nd 2008, 05:45 AM, said:

Call of Duty 2 lags horribly in single and multiplayer when running the game in Leopard on my Macbook Pro. It runs smoothly in Tiger on my iMac G5. I've read many others are experiencing the same problem. Does anyone know whether there will be a patch from Aspyr or Apple to fix this problem? I contacted Aspyr support, but they basically blew me off. :angry:

I've just upgraded to leopard this very day... not too bad,
CoD2 does seem a bit laggier, and I have had a few freeze ups... system wide ones, that you can't just force quit. I think it merits an update from Aspyr, because I have yet to be able to download from servers so can't play on my fav ones... :-(

#3 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

i've not really noticed this  :blush:  Sorry maybe it's me? But then again i turned off the dreaded Time Machine as this always bl*&#$ kicked in when I started playing a game. Or .Mac started to sync...Grrr this seems worse in Leopard than in Tiger. I wish I'd have stayed with Tiger sometimes..that is a cool OS imho  :nods:
Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#4 DBSor

DBSor

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

Hi,
Since I received my MacPro (4X2.8GHz and 8800) and reinstalled Call of Duty 2, I can not play as the mouse is not moving continously, even in the "join server" and "intro" window.
I did not have this problem on my old G5 (2X2GHz and X800XT) with Leopard too and the same material configuration (Razer and Nostromo N52)
Anyone noticed that ? Any solution ? Thx.
Free software for Call of Duty / United Offensive / Call of Duty 2 /Call of Duty 4: iClanASC
iClan member: CoD4-UO / UT (iClan|DBSor)

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

not a clue, sorry...

but i got a good one. if I turn on high detail graphics, all the human models get the wierdest craziest sheen to them, with shadowing that makes no real sense, and kind of swirls in all their textures...

I was gonna run through a couple of missions quickly see if I wanted to play it again, but after that I cant really be bothered.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 Kalki

Kalki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hello,

I'v got the same problem than splatterguts.

I'v installed Call of Duty 2 for mac on my last Macbook Pro (Cote 2 Duo 2.4, Penryn, Geforce 8600m GT 256 VRAM), pacth 1.3 for mac, 10.5.2 and Leopard Graphic Updates 1.0 but there is no way to play the game correctly. A online game is unpayable.

Whatever resolution or graphic options I set, it's always jerky ! I contacted the support, no answer jet.

Addionaly, there is problem with texture (like teflon said) :
(picture takes some time to load, please wait)

Posted Image

and some water texture don't display correctly.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Uh, that looks funky. :cool:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I agree with Janichsan here, bu also... how do you get the FPS counter? I want it!!!

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:18 AM

enable the console in the options, then hit the tilde key ~ and type

cg_drawfps 1

as for getting rid of the funky textures, you have to turn off the advanced graphics, which totally sucks... It does, however, give you a much improved frame rate, but you shouldnt have to do that to the game when its bound to have about double the frame rate in windows.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 Kalki

Kalki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

In the windows version, this Option is called "Render Method Preference". This option allows you to choose between DirectX9.0 and DirectX7.0 rendering methods in Call of Duty 2. So I don't know how they adapt it in COD2 of mac but this option seems to have problem on mac.

A macbook pro, should be able to run COD2 with high graphic option and resolution without problem. It is the only game which runs jerky on my Macbook Pro.
Demo of Quake IV, Prey, Colin mcrae rally are running very well with a high resolution, even with anti-aliasing x4 and anisiotopic filtering x16 !

#11 DBSor

DBSor

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

I have open a ticket on Aspyr support for the mouse mouvement problem, waiting for a response now ....
The problem is present in single player mode too :(
Free software for Call of Duty / United Offensive / Call of Duty 2 /Call of Duty 4: iClanASC
iClan member: CoD4-UO / UT (iClan|DBSor)

#12 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

View Postteflon, on March 29th 2008, 11:18 PM, said:

enable the console in the options, then hit the tilde key ~ and type

cg_drawfps 1...
Oh, ok. Thanks Teflon, at least I don't need to try and find the non-existent FPS counter program thing that can run on OS X. :happy:

Thanks, Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#13 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:29 AM

View PostJanichsan, on March 28th 2008, 04:03 PM, said:

Uh, that looks funky. :cool:

Amazing, I love it :P

Post more screenshots please :D

#14 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:58 AM

Yeah, I agree with iRolley it is pretty cool, especially the textures on their faces, very funny. :)

Liberator.

#15 cush

cush

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

This is a little OT but we new iMac users can have problems in some games with the way the ATI Radeon chipsets (HD2600 in my case) fail to properly render.  I am an avid X-Plane user and we have lots of problems when Anti aliasing is turned on in X-Plane.  Seems to be a driver issue.  COD works just fine on my new iMac but I'm hoping COD2, which is on its way to me, will be playable.
-cush-
San Diego CA

Hardware

20" iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, , ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics chipset with 256 GB RAM,   CH Yoke, pedals, Combatstick

#16 Kalki

Kalki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

Aspyr support answer me. They said that, indeed, only few people got this problem. On their "older" Macbook pro the game runs fine.

Blizzard seems also aware with a problem with the last Macbook pro : http://www.battle.ne...F...=535843&P=1

"We've received a handful of reports from users with the newest (2-26-08) revision of the MacBook Pros and an inability to start up Diablo 2 and StarCraft"

I hope, these problems will be fixed in the 10.5.3. Something goes wrong with the last MBP...

#17 flyman

flyman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have a similar problem too!
I've just installed COD 2 on my Mac Pro with an 8800GT card.
So far I've noticed:
  • The sea has a nice rainbow effect when at the docks
  • The game play is very juddery
  • The game is now totally crashing and freezing the system so that I cant even force quit.
Can anyone confirm which is the last update so I can check?
By the way I have everything turned full on as I thought this card had enough grunt  :unsure:

Has anyone got any ideas?
This is really annoying as I couldn't even play it on my G4 and I was really looking forward to playing it on my nice new Mac Pro. :(

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:36 AM

View Postflyman, on April 23rd 2008, 12:23 AM, said:

Can anyone confirm which is the last update so I can check?
It's this one.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#19 flyman

flyman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

View PostJanichsan, on April 22nd 2008, 11:36 PM, said:

It's this one.

Oh no! - that means mine is already up to date :(

Thanks Janichsan

#20 Kalki

Kalki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

Flyman, could you give me please the version of your geforce extension (about this mac -> more info -> software -> extension -> geforce) ?