3 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

A recent iGame Radio podcast has included a review of Spiderweb Software's Avernum 5. The latest in the series, Avernum 5 takes a new direction with the story, allowing players to play as a group of soldiers from the above ground world of the Empire who have descended into Avernum's depths to search for the murderer of their Empress. The game features hundreds of quests, an epic storyline, unique encounters, and a variety of spells and items to discover.

The surface world is ruled by the Empire. Its power is absolute. Its control is unchallenged. And, as a soldier of the Empire, you have a good, comfortable life ahead of you. But then a rebel named Dorikas tried to assassinate the Empress, and everything went wrong for you.

The villain fled somewhere into Avernum, an underworld nation of eccentrics, misfits, and barely civilized monsters, most of whom hate the Empire. And that is where you are going. You must find Dorikas, while dealing with spies, betrayal, and assassins at every turn.

The enemy is waiting for you. You will only survive his attention with the help of these strange cave dwellers. If, of course, they donít kill you first.
The full podcast is available at the link provided below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17639 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:45 AM

I quit playing this game.  By the time I got into Tranquility I realized that I was going to have to make many of the towns hate me.  My agreement with a wizard has forced me to kill a drake to progress to the next part of the map, and that act set a town forever against me.  I had a LOT of unfinished business in that city.  Exiting Tranquility forces me into fights that set that town against me too.  I never had a town hate me in any of the other Spiderweb games, I play as a good guy there to HELP the towns.  This is totally unacceptable to me.  I wasn't warned that my actions, which seemed innocent at the time, would lead me down this path.  I'm way too far into the game to want to start over and I refuse to cheat... so I took the game off my hard drive yesterday and bought Eschalon Book I.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

At least, unlike most other RPGs, Spiderweb doesn't lie when they say there are actually consequences to your actions.  After all, you knew you were submitting to be that wizard's slave when you accepted his offer.  :happy:

If it's any consolation, you were probably well compensated, no?  (And fyi that town turns hostile even if you free the drake!)

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17639 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

As I stated earlier, they aren't consequences I'm willing to accept and I was too far into the game to want to start over.  I'm not going to be forced into playing a bad guy.  On the other hand Eschalon Book 1 is an awesome game, and it lets me be who I want to be in a role playing game, so it's not like I'm missing Avernum 5.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat