Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7096 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

See for yourself!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

Finally!  Maybe they'll throw in Tomb Raider Legend (uses the same engine I think) and one of the newer
Prince of Persia games?

:D

Wish Aspyr would come out with a good title soon.  I don't see anything of interest to me on their "coming soon'
page at the moment...Feral seems to be getting all of my money now.

#3 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

Sorry, I haven't paid attention to a Womb Raider game in a long time. Is this just Womb Raider 1 with shiny new graphics?

#4 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

View Postplacy, on November 23rd 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

Finally!  Maybe they'll throw in Tomb Raider Legend (uses the same engine I think) and one of the newer
Prince of Persia games?

:D

Excellent news! It isn't clear if it is Intel only or Universal. One page of the mini site (system requirements) say Intel Only but the pre-order page says  "a universal version will be available". I'm hoping it is universal so I can hang on to my G5 a little longer (Feral have been really good with recent games in this regard) but if not I'll buy it and keep it until I next upgrade! I really need an Intel Mac that can run my PowerPC games as fast in Rosetta as they are native and I don't think we are there yet.

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7096 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

View PostRev-O, on November 23rd 2007, 10:20 PM, said:

Sorry, I haven't paid attention to a Womb Raider game in a long time. Is this just Womb Raider 1 with shiny new graphics?
Basically yes, but there also some other new features.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:34 AM

Good news... but have you seen the system requirements ?? This is THE highest I've seen yet. Recommended 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo... wow.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7096 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

View PostiRolley, on November 25th 2007, 11:34 AM, said:

Good news... but have you seen the system requirements ?? This is THE highest I've seen yet. Recommended 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo... wow.
Yeah, that's steep. But since the minimum requirements are only a 1.83 GHz it probably still will run on most Macs - except those Integrated Intel Crap Cripples™, that is.

By the way: I don't know if anyone has already checked the pre-order option, but you can find there this little gem:

A Universal (Intel and PPC) version of the game will be available in the new year.

#8 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

View PostJanichsan, on November 25th 2007, 09:07 AM, said:

By the way: I don't know if anyone has already checked the pre-order option, but you can find there this little gem:

Yes, but read mattw's post above.  Maybe the Feral Guy™ can clarify things?

--Eric

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7096 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:51 AM

View PostEric5h5, on November 25th 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

Yes, but read mattw's post above.  Maybe the Feral Guy™ can clarify things?
Oh, right. I missed mattw's post. The generally accepted explanation for this on the german Games4Mac is that the game will be Intel only when it will be released (possibly this year) and then later a UB patch comes out.

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

That works for me...yep, the CPU requirements are pretty steep, but I suppose my 2.5GHz G5 would do OK.

--Eric

#11 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2198 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

View PostRev-O, on November 23rd 2007, 03:20 PM, said:

Is this just Womb Raider 1 with shiny new graphics?

Reworked graphics, much better controls, Jacqueline Natla has smaller breasts, and a wigger.
What is a man?

#12 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:37 AM

The game is planned to be Intel first with a PPC patch coming afterwards to bring full UA support.
The game will run on all Intel machines apart from machines with Intel Integrated cards (New and Old MacBook).

The PPC min spec it yet to be set but I would expect the min to be in the 2.0 Ghz to 1.6 Ghz range but we will know more
once we get closer to the PPC release.

The game does not use the same engine as the prince of persia games and it is a custom graphic engine, an earlier version of the graphics engine was used to make Tomb Raider Legend.

Anniversary is the original game re-imagined and with all the improvements you get in 10 years of games development like high quality graphics, not running in square shaped patterns, etc.... (If you played the original you will know what I mean. ;))

Anyway more info as it becomes available.

Edwin

#13 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

View Postedddeduck, on November 26th 2007, 04:37 AM, said:

The game will run on all Intel machines apart from machines with Intel Integrated cards (MacBook, Mini)
FTFY.

Heh. It takes a $1200+ Mac with 'Pro' specs* to play games. Heck of a job.

*The only 'capable' non-Pro Mac is an iMac that pretty much matches a MacBook Pro.

#14 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

View Postbobbob, on November 26th 2007, 10:03 AM, said:

FTFY.

Heh. It takes a $1200+ Mac with 'Pro' specs* to play games. Heck of a job.
*The only 'capable' non-Pro Mac is an iMac that pretty much matches a MacBook Pro.

To recap, Tomb Raider runs on all Intel iMacs, MacBookPros and MacPros. The MacBook and Mini are only discounted due to the fact the graphics hardware is missing items that are important to gaming like hardware supported shaders, dedicated RAM etc..

If you want to play new games you need a graphics card that actually has hardware vertex & pixel shaders. This technology exists on most PPC/Intel Mac machines made in the last few years (for example the original PPC mini powered by the 9200 card has more graphics power than the original Intel Mini with the GMA 950). However the Intel integrated cards in the Mini and MacBook do not have any hardware support and all of the T&L graphics are done on the CPU which is much slower (this is what used to happen in the days of Doom 2 and Duke Nukem before hardware graphics started to happen).

Sadly this means that trying to get any games to run on the card is a tricky (but sometimes possible) business and hence we usually only support Mac's with standalone dedicated graphics cards for new releases.

We do have a collection of our older games being UA patched to provide games for the MacBook / Mini market as we know most of our new games will not work on these popular but underpowered (for modern gaming) machines. The Feral back catalogue is getting UA patches allowing for native game play along with some more performance and maybe the odd new feature. These games are older and hence will allow us to get the performance required even though the graphics card is not designed towards 3D gaming.

Hope everyone enjoys Tomb Raider when it comes out, as we are doing our best to allow as many Mac users to play the game by still supporting PPC owners with a UA version of the game scheduled.

Edwin

#15 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

View Postedddeduck, on November 26th 2007, 05:29 PM, said:

Hope everyone enjoys Tomb Raider when it comes out, as we are doing our best to allow as many Mac users to play the game by still supporting PPC owners with a UA version of the game scheduled.
Edwin

This is excellent news! There is life in my Power Mac G5 yet! I really appreciate this.  :happy:

View Postedddeduck, on November 26th 2007, 05:29 PM, said:

The Feral back catalogue is getting UA patches allowing for native game play along with some more performance and maybe the odd new feature.

Even better! I might be tempted to get a Mac Pro when they are next updated. It is just my games (and wallet) that are holding me back now. I don't have space for my G5 as well and I don't want to be without an F1 game. F1 CS2000 runs nicely on my G5 2.5GHz Dual with X800XT and I doubt we are yet at a point where Rosetta can run my PowerPC games faster?

#16 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

View Postedddeduck, on November 26th 2007, 10:29 AM, said:

However the Intel integrated cards in the Mini and MacBook do not have any hardware support and all of the T&L graphics are done on the CPU which is much slower (this is what used to happen in the days of Doom 2 and Duke Nukem before hardware graphics started to happen).

What about the X3100 on the latest MacBooks? Doesn't that support hardware T&L?
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#17 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

View Postmattw, on November 26th 2007, 01:43 PM, said:

I really appreciate this.  :happy:

Me too.  I think releasing games as Intel-only and then making a patch later is a good solution.  So, how about TR: Legend, to fill in the one gap there?  :)

--Eric

#18 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

TR:Legend is quite a different game to TR1/TRA. Mainly its just more action orientated, and not as puzzle heavy. but if theres enough people that really want it, then im sure Feral will do their best to bring it to you.

View Postrampancy, on November 26th 2007, 08:01 PM, said:

What about the X3100 on the latest MacBooks? Doesn't that support hardware T&L?

yes it does, but it still sucks and isnt really much faster than previous offerings, making it nearly as difficult to get the game playable on it as it was before.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:06 AM

View Postteflon, on November 26th 2007, 08:59 PM, said:

TR:Legend is quite a different game to TR1/TRA. Mainly its just more action orientated, and not as puzzle heavy. but if theres enough people that really want it, then im sure Feral will do their best to bring it to you.

I'd definitely buy it so count me in! Even if it is Intel only and I have to keep it until I get an Intel Mac.

#20 Robo-X

Robo-X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

Finally a new Tomb Raider game for Mac. I played the demo in boot camp and I really liked it. I was hoping that Aspyr will bring it to the Mac as they have with most of the other Tomb Raider games but it seems that Feral got the deal. As long the game comes native for the Mac it's all good. I just hope Feral ports it faster than it did with Colin McRae.

//Rob