Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on December 7th 2007, 09:22 AM, said:

Sweet.

I can picture it... sounds like one of those rare cinematic events that are not scripted and thrilling to observe while being the cause of it!

#42 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

View PostJanichsan, on November 24th 2007, 10:51 PM, said:

I tried it on my aging 2 GHz Core Duo MBP with an ATI x1600 and 2 GB, and it worked fine. You have to optimise the settings of course, but the game still looks marvelous and plays fine.
Ditto. I was impressed with how well the game ran, and how scalable it is in terms of graphics/performance balance.

But I didn't really get around to pushing the performance envelope because the gameplay didn't inspire me to do so. After playing the crap out of FarCry last year (still one of the best <$20 game purchases I ever made) I didn't find enough *new* in the Crysis demo that would make me want to buy the game. After blowing up a few Hummers, altering the serenity of a few patrol routes with exploding barrels, shooting down a forrest, and sailing a gunboat *over* a soldier shack with my guns a'blazing, I was pretty much done with the game. Impressive though it may be for those very reasons.

Now that I've had a chance to evaluate the Crysis demo, I reckon on getting The Orange Box instead. Since I've never played Half Life 2 it represents a pretty killer deal and should satiate my FPS (and puzzler!) desires for the next little while.

#43 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

I found the game to be over rated and it didnt run as well as I hoped. I have well beyond the system req. and I couldnt get her to play all that well. Unreal 3 as much as I hate it runs great and to me looks better.
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#44 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on December 12th 2007, 07:57 PM, said:

I found the game to be over rated and it didnt run as well as I hoped. I have well beyond the system req. and I couldnt get her to play all that well. Unreal 3 as much as I hate it runs great and to me looks better.

If they are going to be compared, UT3 gives you a much better multiplayer experience. A lot of these solo shooter have MP tacked on all most as an afterthought certainly not the main thrust of the game while UT specializes in arena play.

#45 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

View PostHuntn, on December 13th 2007, 04:10 PM, said:

A lot of these solo shooter have MP tacked on all most as an afterthought certainly not the main thrust of the game while UT specializes in arena play.

And visa versa. I didn't much care for Crysis, but UT3's "single player" mode is attracting plenty of derision. Then again, UT has a history of better than average bot AI, and the "multi-player" mode with them is often fun.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#46 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

Crysis seems not about the game, but about the engine. to me, Crysis is the showcase, or the demo for Crytek2

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#47 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

View Postehuelga, on December 13th 2007, 04:41 PM, said:

And visa versa. I didn't much care for Crysis, but UT3's "single player" mode is attracting plenty of derision. Then again, UT has a history of better than average bot AI, and the "multi-player" mode with them is often fun.

I've always considered the UT solo mode as a vehicle whose purpose is to get you up to speed for multiplayer mayhem.

#48 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

around 50% of UT players never go online though?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#49 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:46 AM

View PostHuntn, on December 13th 2007, 04:10 PM, said:

If they are going to be compared, UT3 gives you a much better multiplayer experience. A lot of these solo shooter have MP tacked on all most as an afterthought certainly not the main thrust of the game while UT specializes in arena play.
I didnt even find the engine to be all that great. Even the idea of the game is kinda dumb. It just seems over hyped thats all. I cant stand UT but the graphics just seemed nicer than crysis. An it ran better too. I can run UT with everything maxed out and get close to an average of 55+ fps. Crysis just seems to be a system hog for no reason.
The Mail Man Cometh!

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:57 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on December 14th 2007, 12:46 PM, said:

Crysis just seems to be a system hog for no reason.
Obviously you have never seen Crysis maxed out on a DirectX 10 system. I'm very hard to impress with glitz, but Crysis kicks UT3's butt seriously. The physics alone are a class of its own.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:20 AM

View PostJanichsan, on December 14th 2007, 07:57 AM, said:

Obviously you have never seen Crysis maxed out on a DirectX 10 system. I'm very hard to impress with glitz, but Crysis kicks UT3's butt seriously. The physics alone are a class of its own.
I have a DirectX 10 system and I did max her out. She couldn't move all that well but I still wasn't impressed. Shadows were nice. The people looked like crap and the sound was "Meh" at best. The animation had a lot to be desired also. COD4 animations are far better.
The Mail Man Cometh!

#52 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:28 AM

the game is a hog, i will give you that. but it is the best looking game i've ever seen.
CoD4 takes the cake for optimization though. i had it running absolutely beautifully on my system. and UT3 doesnt follow far behind.

i had far more fun playing the Crysis Demo than i did Cod4. Crysis actually give the player control on the outcome of the game (thats an obvious point). generally it is a simple idea, and a been there done that one, too. and as i said before it's more of a showcase for Cryengine2 than a fully fledged game. but it is fun. i really like the way you can create so many different outcomes of the same combat scene just by taking a different approach. sneak up to the back opf a village, quickly move into strength mode, pick up a skip, chuck it into the air, "what the fu..." you run to another spot in cloak mode, steal a few of their grenades, and whilst the percentage of their unit sits there wondering how the hell their skip landed in the middle of their quaters you chuck a grenade into the middle of them all and blow them to hell :lol: . so many different ways to accomplish the same task, and all of them are excecuted using your ideas.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#53 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:40 AM

I've not done any research but my impression is that playing DX10 on lower settings does not look much better if at all than DX9 at higher settings. I have seen side by side comparisons at top settings and there the differences are impressive. The foliage in DX10 is more dense, but playing Crysis on my MBP, the foliage looks more jagged like anti-aliasing is not working. (Maybe I should make sure I don't have it off. :)) On my MBP I did resist paying $400 extra dollars to upgrade from 128MB VRAM to 256MB and maybe I'll regret that in the future. But sometime in the Spring I'll be upgrading to a new PC so I'll get another chance to be wowed.

Regarding Crysis, any game that makes me want to crawl around in the foliage exploring a hostile environment is a great first step to immersion. I realize that some games don't need this kind of openness, but for outdoor environments this feature really pulls me in as it did in Elder Scrolls 4: Oblvion. It's just one factor that can make a game outstanding. However I'm not suggesting that environment overshadows game play, which ultimately makes or breaks a game.

#54 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

I just dont get the whole Crysis fad.

SPOILER!!!!!

The part of of COD4 when you land to save the downed pilot was one of the best moments Iv had in a game. Just the fact that all the heroism and fighting would never be known because of the nuke going off and killing your character. How many games kill off the main guy half way through the game only to continually get better. You feel a sense of pride saving that pilot and a strong sense of revenge for the nuke.

Crysis is about an alien invasion with generic "alien invasion" character personalities. Your a super soldier in a super suit sent to save the world from a super threat. Where have I heard this story before? Granted modern combat games are a dime a dozen but no game I have played yet goes into the human side of things in war than COD4. Plus stabbing a sniper in the head online is strangely satisfying.   :unsure:
The Mail Man Cometh!

#55 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

Crysis is about finding the borders of the game engine, about seeing how your endless ways of approaching situations work out differently. To me it's the creme de la creme of a -messing about all day- game. Now if you take this way of approaching a game and you try it on COD4 you'll be terribly dissapointed because in COD4 you'll be confronted with the games borders in a very unpleasant way; for instance the way turret gunners keep respawning  or the magical dissapearance of opponents once past a certain checkpoint.

Cod4 is about being entertained, just like watching a movie accept with a sense of interaction, it's about being blown away with what they have you experience. I too was baffled by the fact you get killed several times as a protagonist without it being in your own hands. Until the very last moment in the execution scene I kept thinkin "I'm the hero they can't possibly have me killed?!".
Now, if you take the cod4 approach and look at Crysis you'll be dissapointed (if you've ever played halflife2 or any other standard setting games like it) because it offers nothing new in terms of storytelling it is actually substandard story telling IMO.

SO my point would be get the most out of the games and don't let the comparison spoil all the fun to be had.
Cheers,
yves

#56 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

well put yves

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD