55 replies to this topic

#21 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

Guys! I made it! I'm out of the tank level! WHOOHOOO!!!

This is how I did it:
Spoiler

Truly one of the harder levels I've played in an FPS. At least for a gimp like me. I'm sure most of you pros just fly through things like that, but man it was kicking my butt! I promise to never complain about being chased half way across a map by an enemy attack helicopter again. :) Now... on to alien central!
- FH -
• MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
• PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
• PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#22 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

Finished the game today. Generally positive impressions of it. I thought a few levels were sort of dull and a few were way too tough, but overall it was a good ride. Best graphics in a game to date, sound and voice acting was good.

I don't think it's spoiling anything that isn't already public knowledge to say that about 2/3 of the way through the game you quit fighting the North Koreans and start fighting aliens. Honestly, I think the game gets a little boring at that point. I found fighting the humans to be a lot more fun.

Overall, a great experience with only a few bumps and oddities along the way.
- FH -
• MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
• PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
• PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#23 tman

tman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

View PostFourth Horseman, on November 24th 2007, 11:12 PM, said:

Finished the game today. Generally positive impressions of it. I thought a few levels were sort of dull and a few were way too tough, but overall it was a good ride. Best graphics in a game to date, sound and voice acting was good.

I don't think it's spoiling anything that isn't already public knowledge to say that about 2/3 of the way through the game you quit fighting the North Koreans and start fighting aliens. Honestly, I think the game gets a little boring at that point. I found fighting the humans to be a lot more fun.

Overall, a great experience with only a few bumps and oddities along the way.
I assume you're playing this on your PC rig. I read the recommended specs on the box-quite stiff- and quite frankly I'm wondering how it's going to act on my mbp 2.6ghz, 7200 hd, 4gb ram.

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

View Posttman, on November 25th 2007, 01:23 AM, said:

I assume you're playing this on your PC rig. I read the recommended specs on the box-quite stiff- and quite frankly I'm wondering how it's going to act on my mbp 2.6ghz, 7200 hd, 4gb ram.
I tried it on my aging 2 GHz Core Duo MBP with an ATI x1600 and 2 GB, and it worked fine. You have to optimise the settings of course, but the game still looks marvelous and plays fine.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

View Posttman, on November 24th 2007, 05:23 PM, said:

Toward the end of the game there was so much going on that my system started to crawl (and yes, I'm running it on the PC rig in my sig) so I turned all of the graphical options down to low. While it did not look as good as running it in "medium" or "high" it still looked pretty good, and my frame rate shot up dramatically. If you haven't yet, I'd recommend downloading the single player demo. You can use that to test whether or not your system can handle it. Based on what I've seen with some tweaking I'm not surprised by what Janichsan says. I too think you should be able to configure the game to play just fine on your MBP.
- FH -

#26 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:01 AM

A tip: the biggest performance hogs are the shader quality and the shadows. Just by reducing those you should be able to almost double(!) your framerate.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#27 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

I had Shaders set to low, Shadows set to med and frame rates were low 20's. I adjusted Shadows to low and frames jumpted to low 30's.  :thumbsup:  Will be ordering this game soon.

#28 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

So far, I'm underwhelmed by this game and I'm genuinely puzzled by the extremely high reviews this game has garnered in the game magazines and websites.

Sure the graphics are great and the large environments are nice, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. The story is clichéd. I'm not seeing anything (yet) that is innovative or makes me think, "Holy crap! That's awesome!" To compare, Bioshock blew me away with it's art design and superb story, and it totally deserved it's high ratings.

More disturbing is how bad the game AI is.  I've had enemy soldiers run right by me in a stairwell without identifying me as the enemy. I wasn't cloaked at all. Several times I could just follow the enemy soldier around buildings and walk in front of him without him attacking me.

The game is decent but it doesn't deserve the 92 rating it has at Metacritic.com.

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

View PostMango, on December 2nd 2007, 01:13 PM, said:

So far, I'm underwhelmed by this game and I'm genuinely puzzled by the extremely high reviews this game has garnered in the game magazines and websites.

Sure the graphics are great and the large environments are nice, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. The story is clichéd. I'm not seeing anything (yet) that is innovative or makes me think, "Holy crap! That's awesome!" To compare, Bioshock blew me away with it's art design and superb story, and it totally deserved it's high ratings.

More disturbing is how bad the game AI is.  I've had enemy soldiers run right by me in a stairwell without identifying me as the enemy. I wasn't cloaked at all. Several times I could just follow the enemy soldier around buildings and walk in front of him without him attacking me.

The game is decent but it doesn't deserve the 92 rating it has at Metacritic.com.

Your absolutely right about the A.I., it stinks as most (all?) A.I. does. In the demo, for some unknown reason, I've had guys come searching for me, but I make mincemeat of them. Most of the time they stand around waiting to be killed. ;) I do love sneaking about in the bush and think that the cloaking is cool enough to make the situation seem kinda realistic, but when I attack a compound, the A.I. is at its weakest, and I have a strong sensation that in real life I'd be toast so fast it's time to spread the butter.

I realize this is starting to become a regular theme with me, but I'm erasing games left and right off my computer- Tabula Rasa, gone, Gothic 3, gone. I'm getting very picky about what I play, but give me a jungle to crawl around in and I'll probably still go for it.

#30 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:50 AM

can i ask what difficulty level you guys are playing on to make the AI seem crap? but yes granted when you compare a game like fear to the AI in Crysis, they just dont do anything normally.

i really had fun with the demo. i tried it on all low settings at first on my display's native resoloution 1600x1050. it was playable but nahhh. so i jakced down the res and didnt touch anything else cause i just wanted to play. it is mighty fun i must say...i think i'm gonna go play through it again.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:28 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on December 3rd 2007, 05:50 AM, said:

can i ask what difficulty level you guys are playing on to make the AI seem crap? but yes granted when you compare a game like fear to the AI in Crysis, they just dont do anything normally.
i really had fun with the demo. i tried it on all low settings at first on my display's native resoloution 1600x1050. it was playable but nahhh. so i jakced down the res and didnt touch anything else cause i just wanted to play. it is mighty fun i must say...i think i'm gonna go play through it again.

I admit to starting out in "easy" in the demo. I'll move to "normal" and see what kind of difference that makes if any. I'm not an expert on A.I. but I've seen other games like Doom 3 where the difficulty setting did not appear to have any effect on A.I. only on damage given or taken. My impression which could be wrong or there could be exceptions is that A.I. is A.I. regardless of the difficulty.

#32 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:49 AM

On the highest difficulty the enemy soldiers only speak Korean. I assume they might behave a little more convincingly as well.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#33 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

I'm playing on normal difficulty and the AI really is the worst I've seen in a long time.

#34 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:53 AM

View PostMango, on December 4th 2007, 04:13 AM, said:

I'm playing on normal difficulty and the AI really is the worst I've seen in a long time.

granted the AI does get better on the more realistic difficulties, it is pretty bad. today on Hard i had a soldier run right up to me stare me in the face for long enough that i could turn maximum strength on and throw his ass into oblivion! quite dissapoining really. but think about how hard it would be to design AI to work in those sort of environments. FEAR's AI was brilliant and often put you into positions where youd just think "how the fire truck could he (NPC) have known to do that!". but that was in closed indoor environments.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:15 AM

I've seen A.I. soldiers in Crysis move to flank me. But there appears to be some holes in their logic especially when it comes to making quick dynamic decisions.

#36 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:21 AM

Well, the AI's confusion when being shot at from the distance is obvious. "D'oh! Someone shoots me! I run for cover to the left! No! The right! No, wait! The left is better! Argh! Damn! I can't decide! I think I'll stay in the open..."

#37 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

I'm replaying the game now on the hardest settings ("Delta") and I can confirm that the AI still does some silly things. The enemy's frequent inability to understand that they're being sniped from long range is sort of a bummer. Sometimes they react well, but often they'll just stand there and watch their buddy who's in my sights doing the "Serajavo Shuffle" as my rounds fly down range at him.

Overall, while I quite like the game, I do find the AI to be spotty. Sometimes good, sometimes flaky. Certainly not up the bar set by F.E.A.R.
- FH -

#38 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 21st 2007, 12:31 PM, said:

Now if they only came up with something better than that bloody "Bad Ass Supersoldier Against Evil Aliens" plot...
I think that's about as timeless a theme in the sci-fi action genre ass an unlikely but destined love in the romance genre. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's got a rich, well-told story to go with it. :P

The question is, does Crysis have that?

View PostFourth Horseman, on December 6th 2007, 11:13 AM, said:

Overall, while I quite like the game, I do find the AI to be spotty. Sometimes good, sometimes flaky. Certainly not up the bar set by F.E.A.R.
As long as it's at least better than the AI in the Halos.  :bleedingeyes:

Been playing Halo 3 recently and I'm rather surprised that with that game's budget the enemies and allies alike seem even stupider than in the first game.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#39 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

View PostJanichsan, on December 5th 2007, 01:21 AM, said:

Well, the AI's confusion when being shot at from the distance is obvious. "D'oh! Someone shoots me! I run for cover to the left! No! The right! No, wait! The left is better! Argh! Damn! I can't decide! I think I'll stay in the open..."
:lol: spot on!

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#40 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

Well yes, the AI's not too clever, but it's only about as stupid as me so that's fine.

The physics though.

Last night I had the most transcendent videogaming moment I can remember: I had a Hummer full of Koreans barrelling towards me with their M60 at full chat & I popped a LAW at them. Led the shot a shade too much so it blew in front of/underneath the vehicle instead of inside it: The Hummer lifted off and turned a somersault above my head while I just stood there too amazed and impressed to get out of the way.

It landed, on fire, about 10 yards behind me.

Sweet.

Then I went and laid waste a Gas Station.

It was very hard to switch my computer off last night.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image