#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

Since no one seems to have mentioned this anywhere: updates for Tiger as well as Leopard are out!

Nice news for those who stick with Tiger: the update includes Safari 3.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:08 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 15th 2007, 12:05 PM, said:

This appears to have fixed an extremely annoying crash-on-launch bug I've had with Safari.  The look and feel is a bit different, especially with drop boxes and lists and right clicking on links.  Font of those buttons appears to be different too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 JetOver

JetOver

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

I had a problem in 10.4.11 with Safari 3 crashing whenever I closed a window.  After looking around at MacFixit, etc., I traced it to the Speed Download 4 stuff in top level and user folder Library/InputManagers (or something like that.)  Otherwise, I seem to be in good shape.  And I expect Yazsoft will get an updated version out soon.  They are usually pretty quick with things like this.

JetOver

#4 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

Only thing I noticed different with 10.5.1 is there was a bug that after booting back into OS X from windows, the fans speed would stay locked to what they were in windows when you shut down (only way to fix it was to sleep the mac and then wake it up again). this is now fixed.

#5 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 15th 2007, 03:05 PM, said:

Since no one seems to have mentioned this anywhere: updates for Tiger as well as Leopard are out!

Ah, yes my friend. Nice news for us who stuck with Panther too. (The last true PPC only Mac OS) The update is for Security:  
AppleRAID
bind
CoreFoundation
Flash Player Plug-in
Foundation.

I take off my hat to Apple. Thanks for all your hard geeky work guys. ;)

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#6 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

Hmm..

Well 10.4.11 has completely killed Safari for me. I removed the Speed download input manager & plugin but that hasn't changed anything.

I seem to recall this problem when I tried the Safari 3 beta before..

Aha! Solved it but leaving this post for anyone else with the same issue: PicLens is the villain. Remove the PicLens Input manager & Safari comes back!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#7 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:21 AM

Nevertheless I do *NOT* recommend you run the upgrade if your work depends heavily on Safari...The new version is irritatingly unstable

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.

Posted Image

#8 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

View PostLord Brixton, on November 16th 2007, 10:21 PM, said:

Nevertheless I do *NOT* recommend you run the upgrade if your work depends heavily on Safari...The new version is irritatingly unstable

a friend mention he couldnt get it to stop crashing too.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:09 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 15th 2007, 01:08 PM, said:

This appears to have fixed an extremely annoying crash-on-launch bug I've had with Safari.  The look and feel is a bit different, especially with drop boxes and lists and right clicking on links.  Font of those buttons appears to be different too.
I spoke too soon.  The crash-on-launch problem continues.  This is a very irritating bug where Safari will crash up to 4 times in a row on launch and then will finally start up like nothing is wrong and remain stable until the next series of startup crashes.  Also, the buttons and drop lists all look like half fried ass on a rusty hook.  I don't have any of the add-ons you guys have mentioned.  Safari shows me a list of the installed plug-ins, I'm not sure where Safari plug-ins are located and which ones are default or third party.  I've already tried removing the Safari folder from the Preferences folder.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 16th 2007, 10:09 AM, said:

The crash-on-launch problem continues.  This is a very irritating bug where Safari will crash up to 4 times in a row on launch and then will finally start up like nothing is wrong and remain stable until the next series of startup crashes.

Hmm, I've never seen that; I'm still on 10.4.10 at the moment.  The only problem I have with Safari is that it takes way longer to start up than I think it should, but since I rarely quit out of it, it's not that big a deal.

--Eric

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

View PostLord Brixton, on November 16th 2007, 12:21 PM, said:

Hmm, okay I'm using Safari 3 only for a day now and not too intensely, but I haven't had a single crash yet. Maybe I'm lucky.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 TheDoc

TheDoc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

I just updated to .11 as well but am having absolutely no crashing with Safari.  I also don't have any plug-ins running with it, so perhaps that's the answer?  It's running perfectly smooth for me.
Macbook 2.0 C2D 4Gb
Dell 20" WS LCD E207WFP
5G 30GB iPod
4G 20GB iPod (now a portable external)
To speed things up, let's just assume I know everything... or nothing, you choose.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

View PostEric5h5, on November 16th 2007, 07:53 AM, said:

Hmm, I've never seen that; I'm still on 10.4.10 at the moment.  The only problem I have with Safari is that it takes way longer to start up than I think it should, but since I rarely quit out of it, it's not that big a deal.

--Eric
While researching my problem I deleted my flavicons and Safari began starting up super quick, taking a LOT of the pain out of the crash, though not diminishing the frequency of the crashes.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

I have no stability problems with safari on Leopard, and I use it on a daily basis.

#15 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

so long as you dont use any plug ins or know exactly what youre doing, you should be juuuust fine.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#16 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:11 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 17th 2007, 02:09 AM, said:

I'm not sure where Safari plug-ins are located and which ones are default or third party.
They live in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins. I believe a clean install has nothing in the latter, and these in the former: Flash Player.plugin, JavaPluginCocoa.bundle, nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt, Quartz Composer.webplugin, QuickTime Plugin.plugin, QuickTime Plugin.webplugin, VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin.

#17 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:08 AM

View PostTesseract, on November 17th 2007, 08:11 AM, said:

They live in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins. I believe a clean install has nothing in the latter, and these in the former: Flash Player.plugin, JavaPluginCocoa.bundle, nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt, Quartz Composer.webplugin, QuickTime Plugin.plugin, QuickTime Plugin.webplugin, VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin.

Well I've removed the 2 3rd party plug-ins that I use (and quite rely on for my work) deleted the Safari .plist and still it crashes whenever I close a window.

Now that 10.5.1 is out maybe the answer is just to promote my Leopard partition to the default boot slot..

Posted Image

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:09 AM

View PostTesseract, on November 17th 2007, 12:11 AM, said:

Just those are default?  Wow, I've accumulated a lot of plug-ins somehow.  I'll move those not listed above into a subfolder and see if that stops the crashing.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

..so any reason to get this update if safari isn't an issue? (I have tiger)

...and my update window just reminded me that I still didn't install QT 7.5 and the new iTunes. Should I?

.....should I breathe or try something else?
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#20 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:01 PM

QT 7.5 is actually quite a lot nicer than 7.3 or whatever... it gets rid of those horrible borders on the sides of windows and is just plain old nicer...

and you might as well do iTunes while youre at it. the updates there dont change anything unless youve got an unlocked iPhone with custom ringtones on it or something.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor