4 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

Spiderweb Software has officially announced the release of Avernum 5, the latest in the long running Exile/Avernum RPG series. Spiderweb is offering a demo of the game on the official website.

Avernum 5 takes a new direction with the story, allowing players to play as a group of soldiers from the above ground world of the Empire who have descended into Avernum's depths to search for the murderer of their Empress. The game features hundreds of quests, an epic storyline, unique encounters, and a variety of spells and items to discover.

The surface world is ruled by the Empire. Its power is absolute. Its control is unchallenged. And, as a soldier of the Empire, you have a good, comfortable life ahead of you. But then a rebel named Dorikas tried to assassinate the Empress, and everything went wrong for you.

The villain fled somewhere into Avernum, an underworld nation of eccentrics, misfits, and barely civilized monsters, most of whom hate the Empire. And that is where you are going. You must find Dorikas, while dealing with spies, betrayal, and assassins at every turn.

The enemy is waiting for you. You will only survive his attention with the help of these strange cave dwellers. If, of course, they donít kill you first.
System Requirements:

- Macintosh running System 10.3.9 or later.
- 50 MB free RAM.
- 200 MB hard disk space.
- 1024x768 screen resolution with 16 bit color.
- Avernum 5 will run natively on Intel Macintoshes.
Avernum 5 costs $25, or $35 when bundled with the hintbook. Click over to the site below to download the demo and learn more about the game.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

The story is solid, a nice twist and continuation to the Avernum story. Gameplay is largly the same as A4, with some good refinements. I'm a melee fella and it seems kinda gimped but overall a solid release from Spiderweb, should keep me busy for a few weeks.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

View Postmacdude22, on November 14th 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

The story is solid, a nice twist and continuation to the Avernum story. Gameplay is largly the same as A4, with some good refinements. I'm a melee fella and it seems kinda gimped but overall a solid release from Spiderweb, should keep me busy for a few weeks.
Gimped how?  I am a fan of A4 interested in A5.  I very much like the turn based fighting system and the control I had over each characters choices of action.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 14th 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

Gimped how?  I am a fan of A4 interested in A5.  I very much like the turn based fighting system and the control I had over each characters choices of action.

It seems, in my limited playing, that melee attacks don't have the brute HP destroying capabilities that I'm used to. Nothing terrible, just seems toned down from prior games. Might be just me, try the demo see what you think.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:01 AM

Well you see, the reason I asked instead of downloading the demo and seeing for myself is that Spiderweb games are too addictive!  I'm already playing another RPG (Neverwinter Nights).  If I start playing the demo my insides will gnaw their way out of my belly and try to strangle and beat me if I don't steal time somewhere to play it more.

I understand what you are saying though.  Remember that A4 starts you out as VERY weak, no armor... almost naked, maybe a stick or a dagger to fight with.  You have to really work to kill the weakest enemies.  But is it gimped past that?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat