Jump to content


Redline revisited


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 horstel

horstel

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

When Redline first came out, I tried the demo and wasn't too impressed, but bought it anyways as I wanted to race in Multiplayer on my Mac.
Still wasn't impressed, the graphics seemed outdated and multiplayer mainly super-arcade crash fests, too bad.

However, some weeks ago I went back to the game when I was bored, and noticed a whole bunch of user made stuff, cars and tracks, and only few, but fun online servers running what they call the 'simulation mode'. As usual getting the required additional game content was a pain in the rear, until I found a website with all the 'plugins' in one place, but after that mp racing even with a keyboard was quite a blast.

What surprises me is that the game isn't more popular , it seemingly being the only multiplayer racing game which works on Macs , or did I miss something ?

#2 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

View Posthorstel, on November 13th 2007, 12:41 PM, said:

When Redline first came out, I tried the demo and wasn't too impressed, but bought it anyways as I wanted to race in Multiplayer on my Mac.
Still wasn't impressed, the graphics seemed outdated and multiplayer mainly super-arcade crash fests, too bad.

However, some weeks ago I went back to the game when I was bored, and noticed a whole bunch of user made stuff, cars and tracks, and only few, but fun online servers running what they call the 'simulation mode'. As usual getting the required additional game content was a pain in the rear, until I found a website with all the 'plugins' in one place, but after that mp racing even with a keyboard was quite a blast.

What surprises me is that the game isn't more popular , it seemingly being the only multiplayer racing game which works on Macs , or did I miss something ?
I bought the game when it first came out and have been active with the game since then. It has a real active community, no matter how small and some of the tracks are professionally done. Also, there have been a crapload of vehicles since the game was released. Some are very nice and high quality.

The multiplayer is setup well, but has had problems with some a$$holes lately. But that is to be expected with multiplayer. ;)
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

View Posthorstel, on November 13th 2007, 06:41 PM, said:

... or did I miss something ?
You mean, apart from NfS Carbon and Colin McRae?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#4 horstel

horstel

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 13th 2007, 11:52 AM, said:

You mean, apart from NfS Carbon and Colin McRae?

I don't know about NFS and its multiplayer qualities, but CMR is neither available nor does it offer online racing , or so it sounds. Unless you count ghost cars ;).

#5 Tesseract

Tesseract

    Unmanageable Megaweight

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

CMR shipped on the 26th of October, IIRC. And on Feral's CMR mini-site it says:

Quote

Colin McRae Rally Mac allows you to play against other drivers from all over the world harnessing the power of GameRanger.


#6 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

View Posthorstel, on November 13th 2007, 04:53 PM, said:

I don't know about NFS and its multiplayer qualities, but CMR is neither available nor does it offer online racing , or so it sounds. Unless you count ghost cars ;).
Colin McRae Rally Mac is outstanding. Worth every penny. :nods:
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#7 horstel

horstel

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Don't get me wrong , I didn't mean to put down CMR, haven't even tried it yet ;).

I only read a review explaining how in multiplayer your opponents will not be physically present, just as some sort of 'ghost' which your lap times are compared to. Doesn't sound like true mp to me, but I might be mistaken and CMR does actually have proper online gaming.

Edit: Just checked, CMR is not having regular multiplayer, only 'phantom cars' representing other online players. Also, it doesn't seem CMR Mac is actually available.

#8 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

View Posthorstel, on November 14th 2007, 02:29 PM, said:

Also, it doesn't seem CMR Mac is actually available.
To order your copy....

Go Here!
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#9 horstel

horstel

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on November 14th 2007, 04:26 PM, said:

To order your copy....

I'm aware it can be ordered, but has anyone actually recieved the game ? It's not even mentioned in the lengthy CMR topic.
Anyhow, it won't have multiplayer, which sort of is the point of my posting; I yet have to try NFS as it is Intel only.
I did try the CMR demo, and am not holding my breath for a soonish realease, to be honest.

#10 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:01 PM

View Posthorstel, on November 14th 2007, 07:42 PM, said:

I'm aware it can be ordered, but has anyone actually recieved the game ? It's not even mentioned in the lengthy CMR topic.
Anyhow, it won't have multiplayer, which sort of is the point of my posting; I yet have to try NFS as it is Intel only.
I did try the CMR demo, and am not holding my breath for a soonish realease, to be honest.
I have had the game for well over a week now. It has been released!
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#11 placy

placy

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Location:Eastern Washington state

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

View Posthorstel, on November 13th 2007, 09:53 PM, said:

I don't know about NFS and its multiplayer qualities, but CMR is neither available nor does it offer online racing , or so it sounds. Unless you count ghost cars ;).

Actually, CMR is available to order online now at least in the US for about $37 shipped...

#12 horstel

horstel

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on November 14th 2007, 06:01 PM, said:

I have had the game for well over a week now. It has been released!

Thanks for the info and sorry about my stubbornness, just hadn't seen it mentioned before ;) .

#13 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

My only gripe with Redline is with the single player AI, which almost never seems to behave as if your car is actually there.  AI cars also seem to behave like they have more mass.

#14 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

View Posthorstel, on November 14th 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

Edit: Just checked, CMR is not having regular multiplayer, only 'phantom cars' representing other online players. Also, it doesn't seem CMR Mac is actually available.

You can see each other as ghost cars and you are racing the same track at the same time the only difference is that you cannot hit or make contact with each other. CMR has been available for quite a few weeks now from our web store and other retailers have been getting stock delivered through our distribution partners.

Edwin

#15 horstel

horstel

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

View Postedddeduck, on November 18th 2007, 05:27 AM, said:

You can see each other as ghost cars and you are racing the same track at the same time the only difference is that you cannot hit or make contact with each other.

No interaction between players, no multiplayer ;) . I understand the limitations of interactive online racing re. performance, and the tracks are not designed for it, but why call it multiplayer-capable then ?

#16 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

View Posthorstel, on November 18th 2007, 08:54 PM, said:

No interaction between players, no multiplayer ;) . I understand the limitations of interactive online racing re. performance, and the tracks are not designed for it, but why call it multiplayer-capable then ?

It is multiplayer capable as you can play 8 people networked (or 4 split screen), during racing you can see the progress against each other in realtime as ghost cars, it is not like you are taking turns you are all racing at the same time. The lack of contact means you all get exactly the same chance and the guy with the lack of skill can't try and cheat just by smashing into other cars at corners.

The fact is rally is against the clock in multiplayer you are playing first to the end of the course (just like any other form of motor-sport) the only caveat is that you cannot hit or influence the other drivers lap times hence it is a challenge of driver skill not who can smash the other into the wall like in Nascar for example.

Both type of multiplayer offer different types of enjoyment, the Nascar style contact games are all about smashing your opponent into the wall/other cars at any opportunity, Colin is more about being the fastest without being able to alter the playing field by damaging or attacking your opponents.

I enjoy both types of racing games depending on my mood, :) but I would not quite go as far as saying it is not multiplayer! Have a few races once you beat someone by 1000th of a second driving a Group B machine you can might better understand the fun you can have. :)

We should be looking at a Multiplayer demo coming before xmas so you all can go online and try it out for yourselves.

Edwin

#17 iRolley

iRolley

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Location:Antibes - France

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

View Posthorstel, on November 18th 2007, 09:54 PM, said:

No interaction between players, no multiplayer ;) . I understand the limitations of interactive online racing re. performance, and the tracks are not designed for it, but why call it multiplayer-capable then ?

That's how most rally races are set up. One racer after another, best time wins.

What's more, a major problem in Redline MP is the lack of damage, therefor racers just run into another and it isn't much fun.

#18 horstel

horstel

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

View PostiRolley, on November 19th 2007, 11:59 AM, said:

What's more, a major problem in Redline MP is the lack of damage, therefor racers just run into another and it isn't much fun.

That's what I experienced at the beginning of playing Redline, but it's not the case in Simulation mode ; there you get not only penalized by possibly running off when causing a crash, but get an earful by the other player(s) as well. ;)
A damage model would be great, I agree, even though it works well without, unless you play the 'Turbo' games.

Quote

Have a few races once you beat someone by 1000th of a second driving a Group B machine you can might better understand the fun you can have.

Have the same race against a 'real' opponent, who is driving fair, beat him by a 100th of a second, and fun reaches a whole new level ;) .

#19 leoantix

leoantix

    Newbie

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Location:NYC

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

CM Rally has absolutely nothing on Redline. From vast amount of addons (150+ cars and tracks), multiplayer, and COST ($25) ... there is yet to be another to even stand close to.  Interested? ... visit LEGACYOLFLIES.COM  :nods:

LEGACYOFLIES.COM - Redline's Premier Simulation Server - TeamSpeak VoIP  - RRL


#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

View Postleoantix, on December 14th 2007, 11:16 AM, said:

CM Rally has absolutely nothing on Redline. From vast amount of addons (150+ cars and tracks), multiplayer, and COST ($25) ... there is yet to be another to even stand close to.  Interested? ... visit LEGACYOLFLIES.COM  :nods:
I wish you'd stick around and talk about more than just plugging your website.  Your regular input would be valuable, but you just come off sounding like a spammer when you post like this.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat