192 replies to this topic

#1 lenn

lenn

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

I see that the windows version of CoD4 is due out this week. Any ETA on the Mac version?

thx

#2 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:44 AM

assume it takes about 2 months longer.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#3 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:20 AM

well, its not even been announced yet, so it will probably take a lot longer to be honest. CoD2 was released on mac around half a year after the PC version, which is pretty standard for mac porting...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#4 Vorbedacht

Vorbedacht

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

Half a year is nice, I remember when it took around 18 months.

#5 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

I thought it was announced.. my bad. See the other posts.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#6 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

View PostVorbedacht, on November 6th 2007, 04:13 AM, said:

Half a year is nice, I remember when it took around 18 months.

Fable has taken a good 3 Years.

anyways i can say that after playing the demo all my previous conceptions of the game were wrong. it takes everything that was popsnizzle about CoD and Un-popsnizzles it. and then it takes all that was good about Cod and goods it.
and the game is brilliantly built...i must say thats what i am looking toward most these days. games that are built so well that they will run brilliantly across an array of systems. This game does it well, as does Unreal tournament 3.

i never thought i say this but i'll be looking forward to a mac anouncement.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#7 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

If CoD4 is even getting made for the Mac, then they had better announce something soon before I just cave in and get the PC version of it  :bleedingeyes: . If it turned out to be a Universal App (which I highly doubt now-a-days), then that would give me more of an incentive to getting the mac version.

#8 lenn

lenn

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

I feel the same way. CoD4 sounds like the best game to come out in a long time. All the reviews agree. If i don't here something soon about a mac version I'm going to have to go to the dark side to play it. Hope i don't have to though.

lenn

View PostGilgamesh, on November 6th 2007, 03:42 PM, said:

If CoD4 is even getting made for the Mac, then they had better announce something soon before I just cave in and get the PC version of it  :bleedingeyes: . If it turned out to be a Universal App (which I highly doubt now-a-days), then that would give me more of an incentive to getting the mac version.

#9 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:46 AM

I'd always prefer a Mac game given the choice...and there are enough Mac shooters out in the next few months to keep me busy for a while yet.

I would hope Aspyr would announce a port to be ready sometime next Summer. If they don't announce it by (say) Easter I think then's the time to start thinking about BootCamping it

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#10 slyguy

slyguy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Wow that last post for this topic was November 13th 2007 and Call of Duty 4 is due out this Month.
Has anyone heard any rumors?

#11 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

Aspyr did confirm they are in process of porting CoD4.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:47 AM

If I recall correctly, they never gave a certain release date. Only something like "Q2 2008" or even just "2008".

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 slyguy

slyguy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

View PostJanichsan, on May 9th 2008, 01:47 AM, said:

If I recall correctly, they never gave a certain release date. Only something like "Q2 2008" or even just "2008".
In the release dates section of this site it says May but on Amazon you can pre order and they are saying July 7th. Dooohhh!!!

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

View Postslyguy, on May 9th 2008, 05:55 PM, said:

In the release dates section of this site it says May but on Amazon you can pre order and they are saying July 7th. Dooohhh!!!
Both dates are more or less guesses. Aspyr actually only said "Summer".

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 Malt-Pipefishes

Malt-Pipefishes

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on November 13th 2007, 06:46 AM, said:

...and there are enough Mac shooters out in the next few months to keep me busy for a while yet.
The next few months, you say?

View PostIMG Release Dates said:

Coming in 2008

Airport Mania: First Flight
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Geneforge 5
Harvest: Massive Encounter
Jack Keane
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness
Penumbra: Black Plague
Spore Electronic Arts
The Movies: Stunts & Effects
The Sims Castaway Stories
Unreal Tournament 3
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Besides Call of Duty 4, the only shooters on that list are Penumbra and Unreal Tournament 3. Penumbra doesn't really have any shooting, and I seriously doubt that UT3 will come out in the next few months.
1.8Ghz Intel iMac (Q1 2006) 1.5 GB RAM, x1600 gfx card

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."

#16 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:04 AM

If you ignore the fact that UT3 is essentially a prettier version of the same thing we've been playing since 1999, you'll still have to face the fact that the game won't look anywhere as good as the DirectX version, and it'll be a miracle if it doesn't run like a frozen turd despite the decreased rendering complexity.  

If you want to play CoD 4, go buy it on Steam.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you really have to love OS X to wait this long for a port that will be slower than the original version and missing graphical/aural features.  As usual, I vote for Steam.  That way, you'll be able to avoid the hassle of physical media, play anywhere with a fat pipe to the internet, receive updates automatically, and use the Steam Community (including the overlay) to keep track of your friends and teammates.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#17 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

Hey Quicksilver, I do agree to a point with you. Buuuut you're also correct with "you really have to love OS X to wait this long".
I'm guilty . . . . . .  :happy:  PURE Mac, all the way!!  Who else here ??

Heck I just have everything crossed for PPC/G5 support!  :nods:

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#18 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:23 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 11th 2008, 10:04 AM, said:

If you want to play CoD 4, go buy it on Steam.

i agree with you, except for the particulars. Dont buy CoD4 on Steam unless you have a really good reason for doing so. The reason being that the game is priced at $70. whilst in the real world, with a DVD, youll save yourself at least $20.. On this game in particular, Steam needs to drop the price to reach parity. The rest of the time, Id probably wait for a sale of some description (Like the christmas blow out that they had with 25% of all games.) unless its a new game in which case the pricing will most likely be the same as a retail copy.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 11th 2008, 05:04 AM, said:

you'll still have to face the fact that the game won't look anywhere as good as the DirectX version

It should look identical.  There were a couple of graphical features UT2004 was missing at first in the Mac version, but were added later when Apple added the necessary extensions.

--Eric

#20 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

View Postteflon, on May 11th 2008, 05:23 AM, said:

i agree with you, except for the particulars. Dont buy CoD4 on Steam unless you have a really good reason for doing so. The reason being that the game is priced at $70.

That's a good point--I was being a typical American and forgetting about people outside of the United States.  My bad!

View PostEric5h5, on May 11th 2008, 12:29 PM, said:

It should look identical.  There were a couple of graphical features UT2004 was missing at first in the Mac version, but were added later when Apple added the necessary extensions.

--Eric

Well, the D3D and OGL rendering paths could look identical.  However, OpenGL is a lot harder to write for because it doesn't have a big company like Microsoft supporting it, so there's no guarantee that Epic has made those paths identical in terms of detail.  If they have to beg Apple to update their drivers and add missing OpenGL features, God help them. :happy:
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com