209 replies to this topic

#41 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:49 AM

do ouo guys know anything about NWN2 for Mac? i thought it was supposed to come out at some point this december but nothing on the horizon yet.

#42 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

View Postginf5geg, on December 7th 2007, 09:49 AM, said:

do ouo guys know anything about NWN2 for Mac? i thought it was supposed to come out at some point this december but nothing on the horizon yet.

See Glenda's mention of NWN2 here ...

http://www.insidemac...view.php?ID=536

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#43 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

thanx for this

#44 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

View PostTetsuya, on November 24th 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

Combat in KOTOR 1 only pauses when you tell it to or someone dies (at least it did when i played it). it has all the same settings as NWN did.  It was built on the NWN engine.  Underlying they work the same.

Maybe I'm confused, but what I remember from KOTOR is coming around a corner where enemies spot you and combat will commence but then everything stops automatically. You make you attack choices and then turn it loose. This never happened in the original NWN.

#45 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:06 AM

if i remember well the player had the otpion to fiddle with this setting, but it has been a while since i finished both games so don't quote me on this. however i think that the battle system in both the KOTOR games was much more impressive than the NWN series. you were choosing your attack and then you were watching it happen in great detail i think, which was not the case witht the latter game. how is NWN" in that aspect?

would those of you who have played oblivion reccommend it? i am approaching the finishing line in the witcher and i am thinking of starting with something else equally good. i said before i was thinking of gothic 3, or sth lighter such as Hellgate, titan quest or perhaps NWN2, but oblivion sounds quite interesting lately.  can it be  played in third person? how is it in general? its combat system? my only contact with the series was a couple of years ago on xbox but i found it too ugly to be honest, especially in third person (i am a third person gamer), and i dropped it soon after.

#46 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

View Postginf5geg, on December 8th 2007, 05:06 AM, said:

would those of you who have played oblivion reccommend it? i am approaching the finishing line in the witcher and i am thinking of starting with something else equally good. i said before i was thinking of gothic 3, or sth lighter such as Hellgate, titan quest or perhaps NWN2, but oblivion sounds quite interesting lately.  can it be  played in third person? how is it in general? its combat system? my only contact with the series was a couple of years ago on xbox but i found it too ugly to be honest, especially in third person (i am a third person gamer), and i dropped it soon after.

Well PCGamer (Jan08) just gushed all over the Witcher giving it a 90% Editors Choice. Even though I realize that many of their reviews are drenched in hype, I might have to try it. I forgot if someone told me, are the Witcher levels open (climb that mountain) or linear (see that mountain but you can't climb it)?

Oblivion gets a AAA from me but some Morrowwind loyalists don't care for it in comparison to Morrowwind. Oblivion is the first game where I really feel like I had a world to explore at my leisure. I've never experienced this before to such an extent. It is marvelous and the most immersive environment I've ever seen in a game. (This statement based on the openness of the Cryodill- go any where you want without a scene load out in the country side. However new zones load for dungeons and towns.)  PC Gamer also mentioned two outstanding free mods which I'll link to in the Oblivion thread.

#47 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:19 AM

Oblivion is lighter to start in then morrowind. In morrowind, I felt completely out of place till it started to fell better. But Oblivion was nice from the start. Patrick Stewart IN YOR FAEC1
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#48 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

The Witcher doesn't give you much openess i am afraid. at least not for the main quests. when you run out of side quests you cannot do much more exploration since its world per chapter is small enough. however is one of the good games i have played. on top of that depending on the choices you make it is supposed to give you a different experience...

those of you who know, can oblivion be played as a 3rd person rpg? how is its combat system?

#49 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

View Postginf5geg, on December 11th 2007, 01:51 PM, said:

The Witcher doesn't give you much openess i am afraid. at least not for the main quests. when you run out of side quests you cannot do much more exploration since its world per chapter is small enough. however is one of the good games i have played. on top of that depending on the choices you make it is supposed to give you a different experience...

those of you who know, can oblivion be played as a 3rd person rpg? how is its combat system?

Thanks for the Witcher info.

Oblivion can be played 3rd or 1st person. I like Oblivion combat, you can dodge spells, block, and time your hits. My understanding there is a RPG type of mechanics going on in the background that influences the effectiveness of your hits and blocks. Your attack spells do not lock on. They move in a straight line so you have to aim. ;)

#50 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the oblivion but since i completed the Witcher last night, i am again on the prowl for another good one. I did not find the withcher as big as they were saying (not 70 hours probable near 50 but don't quote me on that since i never timed it) but it definitely one of the good games. so i highly recommend it. i am between oblivion, NWN2 and Gothic 3 now. any recommendations? i know that the othic series always had problems with bugs. did the patch released help at all?

#51 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

View Postginf5geg, on December 15th 2007, 04:46 AM, said:

Thanks for the oblivion but since i completed the Witcher last night, i am again on the prowl for another good one. I did not find the withcher as big as they were saying (not 70 hours probable near 50 but don't quote me on that since i never timed it) but it definitely one of the good games. so i highly recommend it. i am between oblivion, NWN2 and Gothic 3 now. any recommendations? i know that the othic series always had problems with bugs. did the patch released help at all?

Oblivion 1st, Gothic 3 2nd, NWN2 3rd.

#52 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:52 AM

View PostHuntn, on December 17th 2007, 03:20 PM, said:

Oblivion 1st, Gothic 3 2nd, NWN2 3rd.

i dont know anyone who's been able to get G3 to run playably.

oblivion first id have to say anyways.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#53 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on January 1st 2008, 01:52 AM, said:

i dont know anyone who's been able to get G3 to run playably.

Gothic 3 seemed to play ok on my Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz while I was playing it. Sold it last week.

#54 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

View PostHuntn, on December 7th 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

Maybe I'm confused, but what I remember from KOTOR is coming around a corner where enemies spot you and combat will commence but then everything stops automatically. You make you attack choices and then turn it loose. This never happened in the original NWN.

simply because that setting defaults to OFF in NWN, and in KOTOR it defaults to ON.  

that setting has been in every Bioware RPG since the original Baldur's Gate

#55 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

What does people think about the combat in the Witcher?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#56 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

View PostTetsuya, on January 1st 2008, 01:28 PM, said:

simply because that setting defaults to OFF in NWN, and in KOTOR it defaults to ON.  

that setting has been in every Bioware RPG since the original Baldur's Gate

Thanks for the clarification.

#57 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

I am going away for 6 days. The Macbook Pro is coming with me, and the Witcher and i are going to have some quality time together :)

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#58 Malt-Pipefishes

Malt-Pipefishes

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

I downloaded the demo for The Witcher, and it runs like a slideshow. The annoying thing is, there's no way to change to graphics settings, only the resolution. (1024 x 768, 1152 x 864, etc) Can you lower the textures, shinies and stuff in the full version?
1.8Ghz Intel iMac (Q1 2006) 1.5 GB RAM, x1600 gfx card

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."

#59 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:12 AM

Theirs something wrong with your computer then. I have a Athlon X2 5200+ clocked at 2.6 ghz, 2 GB of DDR2 ram & 512 MB ATI Radeon X1650 Pro and  I get great performance with  most of the settings on high and screen res on 1024 x 768.
What is a man?

#60 Malt-Pipefishes

Malt-Pipefishes

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

View PostIchigo27, on January 17th 2008, 03:12 AM, said:

Theirs something wrong with your computer then. I have a Athlon X2 5200+ clocked at 2.6 ghz, 2 GB of DDR2 ram & 512 MB ATI Radeon X1650 Pro and  I get great performance with  most of the settings on high and screen res on 1024 x 768.

How can you compare the performances of two completely different computers (Yours obviously being twice as powerful) to prove that there's something "wrong" with my computer?  :huh: That's like saying "My Lamborghini can drive up to 80 mph faster than your minivan, so your minivan must have an engine problem." Sorry, but that doesn't prove anything. Your Lamborghini is just faster. You could've at least answered my question, about the graphics settings.
1.8Ghz Intel iMac (Q1 2006) 1.5 GB RAM, x1600 gfx card

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."