209 replies to this topic

#201 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

Well, fortunately I got help on the Witcher forums and fixed the problem. I had to clean out an obscure Witcher temp folder. Why it worked, I have no idea, but it did. Yay!

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#202 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

Do you need to start over after installing The Witcher EE?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#203 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:58 AM

I'm getting back into it again, because its an awesome freaking game. But I'm still getting absolutely popsnizzle performance with the Enhanced Edition. Has anyone here had the Stuttering problem? The game actually plays with a good framerate but it stutters all the time. I'm stumped as what to do. It's really been ruining it for me.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#204 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

Recently enough did the Enhanced Edition with max graphics, and I think 1280x820 resolution. (I think, could have that wrong.)  Worked fine for me all the way through on a MBP 2.5Ghz, Nvida 8600 (512) and 2 gigs of Ram. It had slowdown in really big areas, but never stuttering.

Not sure what your problem is, what settings/resolution are you running it at? Try turning some things down and see what happens. Especially texture and resolution and AA those are the big fps killers.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#205 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:08 AM

View PostWumpus, on January 24th 2009, 06:04 PM, said:

Not sure what your problem is, what settings/resolution are you running it at? Try turning some things down and see what happens. Especially texture and resolution and AA those are the big fps killers.

As i said it really isn't a problem with my FPS, it persists on the absolute lowest settings, It just makes the game stutter. I am Re-installing to see if it stops the problem. Other than that, i'm out of ideas.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#206 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:50 PM

Understanding the dice game is like understanding chapter II.  :bleedingeyes:
What is a man?

#207 A.Cole

A.Cole

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

I have the Witcher (actually, I am willing to sell it >_>) and it was quite fun.  Not 75+ hours though, but a very good storyline.  I do like the effects that occur from your choices, but its not quite as dramatic as I would like.  Definitely one of the better RPGs recently.
15" Macbook Pro, 2.80ghz, 4GB DDR3, 9600M 512mb
Time, Truth, Hearts

#208 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

I'm planning another Witcher playthrough soon, and going to make all the alternate choices I didn't the first time around. A friend of mine recently did it, and he said the choice differences are quite satisfying. I had a blast the first time, and no particular complaints. But I do agree with Ichigo, the dice game was hard. I had to look it up online to see how it worked. Even then took me a lot of time to get any good at it. I only did it as much as I had to, to buy stuff. I didn't actually like playing it.

As for playtime, well it took me 30 hours the first time through, and that was with doing almost all the side quests. I don't see how on earth anyone could do 75 hours in one go through. Its not a grindy game. Just killing monsters in a spot for example, hardly does you much good for XP. But if you would play 2-3 times (as later choices in act 4 & 5 warrant, and your skill tree), then you could hit that mark.

I'm actually kind of glad the console version got canceled. It irked me they were porting it. I like the PC only thing, I'm not a console fan. Anyway maybe that's bad of me to say, but I do say it. I hear a sequel is in the works, and I can't wait to see what they do with it.
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#209 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

I don't understand, did they change the dice game in the enhanced edition?  In the original Witcher I cruised through nearly every dice game, beating the long running side quest.  Its just a slightly modified version of poker.  You can get a near identical stand alone game for the Mac called Yahtzee texas holdem.

#210 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

I can't say about the dice game. I only ever played the Enhanced edition. My friend first played the 'vanilla' version of the witcher, then later the enhanced edition, and while he made many comments about the improvements, he never said anything about the dice game.