Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

View PostAtticus, on November 7th 2007, 04:14 PM, said:

Ignoring the warnings from the Little Voice Inside My Head (the same voice that told me to avoid buying STALKER and also issues commands from COMMANDER XEXNON of Alpha Centauri), I ordered the uncensored version of Witcher from GoGamer.com. We'll see.

Atticus

The uncensored version? A couple of online searches reveals little about what is different. A report is requested after you get it.

#22 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

Yep. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that you can see n*pples.

Yay?

Atticus

View PostHuntn, on November 7th 2007, 06:06 PM, said:

The uncensored version? A couple of online searches reveals little about what is different. A report is requested after you get it.

"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#23 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:42 AM

Warning: Nipples.

That's the only thing. Unless they disabled violence in some way in germany, but I doubt it; they'll probably sell it as 18+.

That and I didn't know they had plastic surgeons in the middle ages. Maybe it's a magical surgery..

"Bosom, Ho!"
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#24 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:52 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on November 8th 2007, 02:42 AM, said:

"Bosom, Ho!"

O-M-G, how risque. I prefer the nibble+ version. When the situation goes horizontal with the babes, all you visually get is a seductive playing card. :) I flipped through the other screens in your link and one of the quotes appears eligible for the mature label.

Gamespot Review:

Interactions between the sexes are also risqué in a corny way that would rev up only Beavis and Butthead. It's ridiculous enough that the side quests in every act let Geralt get horizontal with virtually every woman he meets, but it's just pathetic that each conquest is rewarded with a playing card that depicts the lovely lass in a come-hither pose. There isn't even any real payoff with these pics, either, given that the nudity that appeared in the European version of the game has been censored due to prudish Stateside sensibilities.

I also read through the Eurogamer Review of the game which was fair. Dialog includes the "f" word and one of the review critiques was that in the midst of role playing your character has a habit of blurting out distinctly modern terms.

Referring to RPGs in general, it seems like one of the largest obstacles to immersion is lack of dialog choices. It becomes very apparent very quickly that your playing a game as in-game characters have very limited quest related dialog choices. I'd appreciate an innovative dialog system allowing you to discuss a variety of subjects, not just specific quest related.

#25 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

Depends. You get to choose a couple of things, at the beginning, and then the conversations play out automatically. Which is new, and it could be refreshing instead. But who knows.

Maybe there is a reward for not sleeping with anyone. Like. "the abstinent witcher". Or somesuch.
QC.

#26 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

View PostHuntn, on November 8th 2007, 10:52 PM, said:

one of the review critiques was that in the midst of role playing your character has a habit of blurting out distinctly modern terms.
When is it meant to be set? Is it even on Earth? Imagine the reaction if he spoke, say, authentic Middle English. Does fantasy mean that all the characters have to speak in formal 19th-century English? Can players not accept that the dialogue has been liberally translated into modern English?

Referring to RPGs in general, it seems like one of the largest obstacles to immersion is lack of dialog choices. It becomes very apparent very quickly that your playing a game as in-game characters have very limited quest related dialog choices. I'd appreciate an innovative dialog system allowing you to discuss a variety of subjects, not just specific quest related.
I think you just made some dialogue writers' heads explode. It wouldn't be innovative so much as far more effort for diminishing returns.

#27 Brainplug

Brainplug

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

I'm having a ball with this game.  It is the first *mature* game I've played in a long time.  Kudos to the developers for understanding that a lot of us are over 15 :)

#28 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

View PostBrainplug, on November 13th 2007, 04:23 PM, said:

I'm having a ball with this game.  It is the first *mature* game I've played in a long time.  Kudos to the developers for understanding that a lot of us are over 15 :)

Got my uncensored copy in the mail today. Will install post my impressions.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

View PostAtticus, on November 13th 2007, 03:27 PM, said:

Got my uncensored copy in the mail today. Will install post my impressions.

Atticus

Looking forward to them.

#30 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

2 weeks into playing it now. it is very good. it is not  linear but the main quest can only be followed in a linear manner. i had reservations for getting it but i am quite happy with it. deep storyline, combo attacks and world. having said this however i think baldur gate and gothic 2 were the most open ended world rpg games i ever played.

so looking forward for gothic 3 when i finish with the witcher. i think i read somewhere that the game is about 40 hours long.

in all go for it...

anyone played  hellgate, gothic 3 and NVW 2 by the way? any comments?

#31 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:43 AM

NWN 2:  Linear as all get out.  a much better story than the Original Campaign for NWN 1, but not as good as Hordes of the Underdark.  Also, a very demanding game (hardware wise) for not much real eye candy.  Not nearly on par overral with the original (the mod community sucks in part because it is so much harder to make mods for)

Hellgate:  is not really a deep RPG.  It is (not)Diablo 3.  If you didnt like Diablo or Titan Quest, you wont like Hellgate.  Personally i love it for what it is (uncomplicated kill-and-loot) but a lot of people dont.

#32 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

I've got Gothic 2 sitting here waiting for a good opportunity to play it. For those in the know, a good Witcher-Gothic2 comparison would be appreciated.

#33 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

I played the hellgate demo and i liked it. seemed to be quite addictive i must say and i think i will give it a shot. i did not like diablo 2 at all. how is the titan quest and its add on?

gothic 2. i read a lot of dissing reviews at the time it was out and truth to be told it had very long loading times (the witcher takes a while too but nothing as long). personally i thought gothic 2 was one of the most brilliant games i ever played. extremely demanding and difficult on the combat side (way too realistic - i think anyway) so i had to find some cheats to level up a few times before i really stood a chance against orcs or other enemies and it was still bloody difficult. but deep story line and a whole world out there to explore and interact with. so most definitely will start with gothic 3 after i finish with the witcher which does not give you that much openess.

even though i played all three parts of the NWN i never got why there was so much buzz about it. it was very easy (especially the first two parts), simple combat system and at times the quests were ridiculous. how is NWN2, cos i was contemplating of getting it?

anyways the witcher is really good, and i think together with baldur gate, gothic 2 and the KOTOR games would rate very high in my preferences.

#34 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:29 AM

Isn't Oblivion lots and lots longer than BG2? I only played BG2 multiplayer, through the entire story. Maybe I would have explored more if I didn't?

Oh and Fallout 2 was pretty big. One could say, Bigger than BG1.
QC.

#35 ginf5geg

ginf5geg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

i haven't played the morrowind and fallout series, so i can't really comment on them. i read that oblivion is the largest rpg but i was never into 1st person games so i never tried it.  i saw the elder scrolls on the xbox and i wasn't amazed. i thought that its graphics and world environment were not as good as gothic's 2 which was my benchmark at that time.

you are right, bg2 was enormous but it was not giving you the openess bg was giving you in exploring the world map.

#36 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:46 AM

View Postginf5geg, on November 21st 2007, 01:33 PM, said:

gothic 2. i read a lot of dissing reviews at the time it was out and truth to be told it had very long loading times (the witcher takes a while too but nothing as long). personally i thought gothic 2 was one of the most brilliant games i ever played. extremely demanding and difficult on the combat side (way too realistic - i think anyway) so i had to find some cheats to level up a few times before i really stood a chance against orcs or other enemies and it was still bloody difficult. but deep story line and a whole world out there to explore and interact with. so most definitely will start with gothic 3 after i finish with the witcher which does not give you that much openess.

even though i played all three parts of the NWN i never got why there was so much buzz about it. it was very easy (especially the first two parts), simple combat system and at times the quests were ridiculous. how is NWN2, cos i was contemplating of getting it?

anyways the witcher is really good, and i think together with baldur gate, gothic 2 and the KOTOR games would rate very high in my preferences.

I'll crank up gothic 3 soon. I played the first area of it and also thought combat was tough. It was not by any means sure that you would prevail in fights. I remember a lot of running away.

NWN2: Much too linear for me. I think the original was better but not necessarily any more open. NWN2 is one of those games that I automatically expected it to be ground breaking but instead is just hohum. If I'm going to explore and discover I much prefer open levels in RPGs versus being funneled down alleys.

View Postginf5geg, on November 22nd 2007, 01:33 PM, said:

i haven't played the morrowind and fallout series, so i can't really comment on them. i read that oblivion is the largest rpg but i was never into 1st person games so i never tried it.  i saw the elder scrolls on the xbox and i wasn't amazed. i thought that its graphics and world environment were not as good as gothic's 2 which was my benchmark at that time.

you are right, bg2 was enormous but it was not giving you the openess bg was giving you in exploring the world map.

I know I have an off center view among RPG aficionados but Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion is the most wonderful RPG I've played to date. As far as size, it's like being given a county to run around in (or WoW zone if you prefer), explore, and climb-that-mountain whenever you feel like it. It was not until WoW that I really got into RPGs so from a size standpoint, I don't have a lot of RPG references for size comparison. I do know it is a heck of a lot more real estate to explore than NWN2.

#37 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:58 AM

Is NWN in any way similar to KotoR1 & 2? (aside from engine)
QC.

#38 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on November 23rd 2007, 06:58 AM, said:

Is NWN in any way similar to KotoR1 & 2? (aside from engine)

If you are referring to NWN2, they are both RPGs but combat in NWN is pause as necessary to pick your attack method and carry out in realtime, combat in Kotor is stop and choose your attack, then watch it happen (for the most part). They may sound simliar but Kotor's action seems stunted to me. Kotor seems to have more depth to it's story. Both have linear levels.

#39 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

View PostHuntn, on November 23rd 2007, 11:46 PM, said:

NWN2 is one of those games that I automatically expected it to be ground breaking but instead is just hohum.
Interesting. I always expected it to be much the same as the original, but with shinier graphics and D&D 3.5 rules.

#40 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

View PostHuntn, on November 23rd 2007, 01:49 PM, said:

If you are referring to NWN2, they are both RPGs but combat in NWN is pause as necessary to pick your attack method and carry out in realtime, combat in Kotor is stop and choose your attack, then watch it happen (for the most part). They may sound simliar but Kotor's action seems stunted to me. Kotor seems to have more depth to it's story. Both have linear levels.

Combat in KOTOR 1 only pauses when you tell it to or someone dies (at least it did when i played it). it has all the same settings as NWN did.  It was built on the NWN engine.  Underlying they work the same.