209 replies to this topic

#1 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

IGN gave it an 8.5. Looks like a decent RPG, but with technical (long load times, crashes) and inventory issues (no sorting).

I'm interested, but after having played Oblivion for almost a year (and still not finished with Shivering Isles), I'm a little burned out on the genre.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

Looks quite good, but I have no time to play a game that takes 75+ hours to finish.... maybe if I stop sleeping for a few weeks.

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

View PostAtticus, on October 30th 2007, 05:03 PM, said:

IGN gave it an 8.5. Looks like a decent RPG, but with technical (long load times, crashes) and inventory issues (no sorting).

I'm interested, but after having played Oblivion for almost a year (and still not finished with Shivering Isles), I'm a little burned out on the genre.

Atticus

You know that is exactly where I'm at with Oblivion. I hit the wall after a year of playing and just starting the Shivering Isles.

Something does not strike me quite right about the Witcher, but that really means nothing on the chances of me playing it in the future. Of course I have NWN2 which I bailed on and Gothic 3 which I've been waiting to start. Currently wrapped up with HL2:E2, the UT3 demo, and some other tidbits oh, like the Crysis demo (!!!) Eventually I'll get back into the RPG mode. ;)

#4 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

Thinking about picking it up. I have not read any of the books it is based upon, but the story premise sounds interesting.
- FH -
• MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
• PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
• PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

Entriquing trailer at TheWitcher.com. Partial nudity?- that deserves 2 points as long as the reference is to female nudity. ;) Seriously, when anyone has played it please post about the openness of the game world. The game appears to have a very dark nature (opposed to bright and sunny). I'm not saying that is good or bad.

Is the game world linear or open (as in climb that distant mountain)?
Are the quests linear or non-linear?
Any observations about game-play, quests, graphics, etc are appreciated.

Thanks!

#6 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

Only one main character possibility, so it's going to be more story driven than Oblivion. So scratch off a couple of hours. And I like it because a european developer made it, that was probably making DVD projects for their mothers, before. It looks stable enough. If you compare it to more "famous" developers' work.. well..

STALKER anyone? or whatever JoWood did recently?
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#7 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on November 1st 2007, 03:34 PM, said:

And I like it because a european developer made it...

I understand that the author of the story is Polish, was the game developed in Poland as well?
- FH -
• MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
• PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
• PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#8 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:02 AM

Think so, yeah. I do hope they left any christian bits out though, that would make it a no-buy for me.
QC.

#9 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on November 3rd 2007, 06:02 AM, said:

Think so, yeah. I do hope they left any christian bits out though, that would make it a no-buy for me.

Can you elaborate on this? I know nothing of the story.
- FH -

#10 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:42 AM

The official site is here:

www.thewitcher.com

Its worth checking out, has a very cool intro movie, and a nifty flash site. There you can read about everything.

But for a quick overview, here's a description:

Overview
The Witcher represents the pinnacle of storytelling in role-playing games, shattering the line between good and evil with a world where moral ambiguity reigns.

In a beautiful, rich game universe created by artists first, technology second, the player becomes his own hero in an epic, action-packed narrative uniquely defined by his actions.

Returning to the roots of the role-playing genre with a fresh and modern approach, The Witcher emphasizes story and character development in a vibrant world, while incorporating tactically-deep real-time combat like no game before it.

Immersed in a vivid but harsh fantasy world, the player assumes the role of a white-haired witcher named Geralt, a renowned monster-slayer-for-hire and master swordsman with superhuman strength and reflexes.

While trying to regain his lost memory, Geralt unwillingly becomes involved in a world-shaking power struggle.

Created to provide entertainment for both fans of role-playing games and those seeking fast-paced action, The Witcher brings together epic storytelling and dynamic, visually stunning, and tactically deep action.

Features
Geralt of Rivia: a one-of-a-kind protagonist. A charismatic and unique character, Geralt is a mutant swordmaster and professional monster slayer.

Choose from over 250 special abilities correlated to attributes, combat skills and magical powers to build the character in a way best suited to tactical needs and style of play.

Inspired by the writings of renowned Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. Featuring adult themes, less fairy-tale than typical fantasy, with mature social issues like racism, political intrigue and genocide.

It is a harsh world where nothing is black or white, right or wrong, often forcing players to choose between the lesser of two evils to advance.

Full of turns, twists and ambiguous moral decisions which have real impact on the storyline.

All quests can be accomplished in several ways and the game has three different endings depending on the player’s actions and choices throughout the adventure.

Engage in complex yet intuitive real-time combat based on real medieval sword-fighting techniques.

Motion capture performed by medieval fighting experts at Frankfurt’s renowned Metric Minds studio, resulting in 600 spectacular and authentic in-game combat animations.

Six combat styles, dozens of potions, complex alchemy system, modifiable weapons and powerful magic add tactical depth to the fluid real-time experience.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#11 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:39 AM

...and sex!
QC.

#12 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

I like this quote from a preview:

"Take the main character of Geralt, The Witcher's silver-haired antihero whose role you'll be playing out. Within the first 30 minutes of the game, players will see him coring the chest cavities of guards, banging his female co-star, and attending a reverent funeral."..

a ShackNews review here:

http://www.shacknews...rticle.x?id=650

and the preview here: (again Shacknews) Read this as well as the review, its great!

http://shacknews.com...rticle.x?id=628
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#13 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:33 AM

That is a tasty burg... wait.. a good review! I will so not get this game myself, instead let it be given to me by the universal powers that be!

You know what, this actually sounds like a game that is exceptionally good. Like, "even if I don't like these characters, I have to look into it" good. I like the way that the witcher is a "man's man", abusing everyone, caring little, and so on- I just hope they make the ending right. (but with three endings, I guess one makes his own ending)

And with a non-typical story/book behind it, made by people living in an oppressed country, it might just be, what the art critics would say: "a 'piece, dog."
QC.

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:50 AM

View PostWumpus, on November 4th 2007, 11:36 AM, said:

"Take the main character of Geralt, The Witcher's silver-haired antihero whose role you'll be playing out. Within the first 30 minutes of the game, players will see him coring the chest cavities of guards, banging his female co-star, and attending a reverent funeral."..

M for mature?  :P

#15 Gravija

Gravija

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:00 AM

anybody know if this works well on a macbook pro with the 256mb card?

This game looks pretty good, at least better than hellgate london demo was.

#16 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:18 AM

It will work, for sure, but, like Bioshock, it will probably work somewhere between medium and high. with decent framerates.

And someone mentioned Geralt being charismatic.. he sounds like an asshole to me.... all the more reason to get it!
QC.

#17 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:09 AM

View PostHuntn, on November 5th 2007, 07:50 AM, said:

M for mature?  :P

M for:

Blood and Gore
Partial Nudity
Strong Language
Strong Sexual Content
Violence

My type of game! ;)

View PostQuantaCat, on November 6th 2007, 04:18 AM, said:

And someone mentioned Geralt being charismatic.. he sounds like an asshole to me.... all the more reason to get it!

Apparently your character has the innate ability to 'spark desire in women' (Its listed somewhere in info about the main character on the main website.)

Otherwise here's a good bit about him from a review:

In The Witcher, you fittingly play as the witcher Geralt, a brooding man's man who is actually anything but. He's an immortal, some kind of super monster-killer, on a quest to both kick and get some ass. He enjoys a nice night out on the town, a good stiff drink, and a few decapitations before his rough romantic encounters. And although Geralt struck me as a fairly bland character at first, after a little more time spent getting to know him, I found myself enjoying the experience of inhabiting his preternatural skin. He doesn't take popsnizzle from anybody, he has a sick sense of humor, he always gets the girl--and on top of that, he usually avoids paying for her. In the realm of fantasy, he strikes a nice balance between the Bogart and the Jack Bauer hiding in all of us.

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

And they used popsnizzle in their description, amazing...

#19 dubbaplate

dubbaplate

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Steam Name:Rebel Scum

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

Play Digital (video podcast) has a review of the game... its episode #16.
iMac C2D @ 2.4Ghz | ATI Radeon HD 2600 | 4GB RAM | 10.8.3 Mountain Lion

#20 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

Ignoring the warnings from the Little Voice Inside My Head (the same voice that told me to avoid buying STALKER and also issues commands from COMMANDER XEXNON of Alpha Centauri), I ordered the uncensored version of Witcher from GoGamer.com. We'll see.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."