Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:02 AM

Configuring Boot Camp
I don't want this to appear like I'm breaking any new news to the experienced users of Boot Camp- just my experiences with it.

1. Boot Camp installation/Windows partition will only happen if you have 1 Mac partition to start out with.
2. After the Windows partition install if you go into Disk Utility and split your Mac partition in two, although it does not mess with the Windows partition, the process will break the Windows partition as far as Boot Camp Assistant is concerned.
Note: There is a message that appears that the process may break the Windows partition. I'll confirm it does. :)
3. If you then remove the second Mac partition, the Windows partition expands (or appears to expand in Disk Utility) to take up the space which you may not want if your goal was to keep it at 32GB, the max size partition where a FAT file structure can be installed into the Windows partition. I did not verify for certainty that this is what happened. My MacOS was still functional at this point.
4. At this point I decided to start over by reverting to a single Mac partition, (deleting the Windows partition), which forces the reinstall of the MacOS.
5. If your new Mac came with 10.4.10 installed on it with a MacOS10.5 disc included. This is an upgrade disk that will demand that you have 10.4 all ready installed on the hard drive, resulting in the install of both 10.4 and 10.5.

Installing Boot Camp- Print out the Readme if you want to make it easily through the process. When you get to the install Windows part, Windows will refuse to install to the Boot Camp partition until you take the step within Windows to reformat the partition.

#2 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

Vista on my MBP connects via ethernet to my home network no problem. Vista sees my Air Base network but when I try to connect wirelessly, it tells me I'm using the wrong password, but I'm using the right password. Any ideas?
Thanks.

#3 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:55 AM

Are you using WEP or WPA?
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#4 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:48 AM

View Postcharmin, on November 3rd 2007, 08:55 AM, said:

Are you using WEP or WPA?

40 bit WEP

I found the answer at MacWindows.com. I was able to do this on my PB running 10.4.

However if I only had Macs installed with 10.5, I would not yet have the answer. (Read the quoted instructions below first.) When you pull up Network System Prefs in 10.5 and click on "Advanced". You'll get the same list of available networks. Double click on the applicable network you want to join. The problem is in 10.5 when I click "Show Password", instead of seeing the hexidecimal password, the °°°°° change to *******. The hexidecimal password is not revealed in 10.5 for some reason.

UPDATE: Later it worked ok on 10.5. Don't know what was going on there.

IMPORTANT! Now, here is the trick. You get the code key from your Mac. You can't just enter your standard worded password like you do on the Mac. The PC won’t understand it, so what you MUST do is set up your Macs on the network first. I only have the AirPort Express, but I suspect that the AirPort Extreme is the same.

Once you have set up your Macs with their passwords accepted and have them fully functioning on the Internet, go to one of your Macs. Click the Apple menu, then System Preferences, then click Network. On the Network page where it says, 'Show' click the up/down arrow to AirPort, then double click the AirPort tab to make certain you find the Networks window.

Where it says, "By default join-" Make sure you click the up/down arrow until it says "Preferred Networks."

Then in the window below "Preferred Networks" it should show a full list of networks that you can join and yours should be listed. Double click on the name of your network and a drop down window should appear.

Once it does then you should see your network name and the “secret” password you used to protect your network.

Under that password there is a small blank box and beside it says "SHOW PASSWORD" Click THE BOX. (This is what appears on Mac OS X 10.4.9)

It will show you the full hexadecimal key that you need to enter into your PC for a network password.

DO NOT use the money insignia at the beginning of the password. The password will not work with it included on the PC.

Edited by Huntn, 03 November 2007 - 07:00 PM.

#5 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

I'm not aware of any reason to use WEP over WPA unless WEP is unavailable, and WPA doesn't have the same hexadecimal problem as WEP does. More secure, and makes life easier.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

Possibly of interest. My quoted source above says that the Mac network password, when you reveal the *real* hexidecimal password is of course hexidecimal. However out of curiosity, I went to this text to hexidecimal converter and when I typed in my computer network password and converted it, I got something completely different than what was revealed in my password. A mystery that anyone can shine an answer on?

#7 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:04 AM

Well, what's your password? :P

I seem to remember having a Netgear router that sort of hashed the password rather than converted it directly to hexadecimal. Foggy though, I've always used WPA so I don't have to worry about it.

#8 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:29 AM

View Postcharmin, on November 4th 2007, 06:04 AM, said:

Well, what's your password? :P

I seem to remember having a Netgear router that sort of hashed the password rather than converted it directly to hexadecimal. Foggy though, I've always used WPA so I don't have to worry about it.

Although I've solved the problem I'll look at WPA, not that I know anything about WEP for a comparison. ;)
Here are some links:
CompuDent News.
Wifi Knights.

Looks like WPA is better. In the Airbase utility, does anyone know why I should choose WPA Enterprise or Personal, although it does sound like Enterprise is tougher. Could that be WPA2? Searches online and at Apple have not been helpful regarding this question. However I did find a discussion in the Airbase Utility regarding WPA Enterprise which talks about setting up a Radius server.

Well, it turns out this question is academic until I upgrade my Airbase. It turns out that the Snow Cone Airbase is not WPA capable. Thanks for the help. I just remembered I have a DL-524 wireless router under my desk that I acquired after the Airbase. I'm going to try ditching the snowcone and switch over to the DL for wireless. :)

Do you (or anyone) know why both XP and Vista squeal like a stuck pig when you try to install more than one mouse driver on it? My Mac as a Kensington, Logitech, and Microsoft mouse drivers and guess what, no problem. They all coincide in harmony.

Another issue, on my Mac my Logitech driver has the ability to recognize individual applications for custom settings. I don't see that ability under Vista. :(

#9 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

View PostHuntn, on November 4th 2007, 05:29 AM, said:

anyone know why I should choose WPA Enterprise or Personal
IIRC, Enterprise uses network passwords from a RADIUS 'Network Access' server.

WPA Personal with AES is probably what you want. WPA2 doesn't offer more security, WPA-TKIP offers less, and using WEP is pretty much like trying to keep a luggage lock intact when flying out of LAX.

Do you (or anyone) know why both XP and Vista squeal like a stuck pig when you try to install more than one mouse driver on it? My Mac as a Kensington, Logitech, and Microsoft mouse drivers and guess what, no problem. They all coincide in harmony.
They come with more than one mouse driver, and probably don't need any others to see all the buttons on most of your mice, so I don't know. Run the latest installers off the manufacturers' sites, and maybe actually tell us what the installers complain about.

#10 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:38 AM

View Postbobbob, on November 4th 2007, 04:32 PM, said:

They come with more than one mouse driver, and probably don't need any others to see all the buttons on most of your mice, so I don't know. Run the latest installers off the manufacturers' sites, and maybe actually tell us what the installers complain about.

For example, in Vista I first installed the Logitech drivers which went smoothly. However I noticed that there was no way in the Windows version of the Logitech drivers to allow for multiple custom application settings. So I decided to install MS Intellipoint for my Trackball Explorer. On install I got a message: there is another program that will conflict with Intellipoint, click install to remove the other software. After the install was finished it looks like my Logitech Control Panel is missing. More research is warranted.

And regarding my DL-524, the transmit part of the router is not working.  :wall:  I'll be talking to D-Link today.

#11 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:07 AM

Boot Camp on MacBook Problem
I installed BootCamp on my wife's Santa Rosa MacBook with WinXP. Everything went fine, I had what looks like full functionality, then I told Windows to restart while holding the Option key... the Mac partition is the only one that appears for selection. Apparently this is a problem as there is a post over at Apple Discussion regarding this issue. I'm not sure what models of MacsBooks it's limited to. If you've heard of any solutions please give a shout.
Thanks!

edit: I fixed by reinstalling Windows a second time and on the second go, I selected the NTFS file system. Don't know if it was the second attempt or selecting NTFS but it worked and I now have a working Windows partition.

#12 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

Windows Partition Backup Solutions?
On my PC, True Image, a PC program works like a charm as it makes an image of my C drive so if I do something foolish, it is very easy to restore a working version of Windows. Now that I'm running Windows Vista on my MBP, I'm looking for a similar means of backup to ease the fear of the usual Windows calamities. However True Image does not like the Windows partition and in the default setting will not agree to do a backup. Any thing I might do to convince True Image to cooperate?

Next, how about Retrospect? Would that work as a partition restore? I've got Retrospect v6 and it seems to run ok in Leopard, but I've not yet given backing up the Windows partition a shot. Any opinions on if it should create a backup that can restore a bootable version of Windows in the Windows partition?

Any other product suggestions?
Thanks!