Have you upgraded to leopard?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Select one of the choices below (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you upgraded?

1. Yes, on my main machine. (34 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Yes, but on a machine other than my main/production system. (3 votes [4.41%])

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

3. Waiting until 10.5.1 (8 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. I'm just fine with Tiger. (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

5. Other. (14 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

Just found a mayor let down: when rendering anything in Cinema4D r10.5 all processors are maxed
out and the rest, finder, PSCS3 etc. are choppy as hell, like dragging a window around is having a framerate
of 4-5.
Another oddity I discovered this morning in Starcraft where suddenly my mouse was 'frozen' to the attack
mode of several battlecruisers I just had selected. Couldn't select anything else, even forced quit didn't work like
if my keyboard wasn't responding at all?

#22 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

Leopard looks so nice, and fast, and shiny. But I'm not touching it until it works with our NAS. Once they get networked backup worked out for Time Machine, I'll go buy Leopard.

Now the real question is, when will the local Apple store be back open so I can get the MiniDVI connector on my iMac motherboard fixed.
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#23 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:34 AM

I'm still running Panther. Maybe now that Leopard is out, Tiger will drop in price & I might be able to afford it.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#24 Kutch

Kutch

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Has anyone else noticed a small difference with Expose and the genie effect in Leopard?  They seem "choppier" than in Tiger...it's not a huge deal, but it's been bugging me.  Just wondering if I'm the only one or not.

#25 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

View PostKutch, on November 4th 2007, 05:56 PM, said:

Has anyone else noticed a small difference with Expose and the genie effect in Leopard?  They seem "choppier" than in Tiger...it's not a huge deal, but it's been bugging me.  Just wondering if I'm the only one or not.
Only happens in some apps for me, notably iPhone 08, and Final Cut Express.

#26 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:17 AM

View PostBernie, on November 4th 2007, 11:34 AM, said:

I'm still running Panther. Maybe now that Leopard is out, Tiger will drop in price & I might be able to afford it.

to be honest, id splash out on leopard for the simple reason that Tiger wont be getting much if any support from now on. Not to mention that its quite an old OS now, and if you think about it, jumping to 10.5 would mean that you dont have to consider buying a new OS till 10.7, cos then you could say that youre getting every other OS upgrade...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#27 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

Running it on a spare HD for now...

Still booting into Tiger when I want to use Parallells etc, but Leopard seems pretty fast and stable so far.

Unreal Tournament 99 runs great!

:)

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#28 ravenpen

ravenpen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:51 AM

Installed it over the weekend on my main machine and so far everything seems to be running well.  

Used Super Duper to make a full bootable back up of my Tiger drive to an external drive, did an erase an install and then had migration assistant move all my files and programs back over from the external.

So far I haven't run into any software conflicts aside from Super Duper not being fully tested, though it should be updated soon.

The only other issue I've found is that the On/Off button on my external Western Digital "Mybook Pro" drive has ceased functioning.  I now have to unplug the power cord to turn it off.

Hopefully they'll be a fix for this soon.
Raven's Tales - A Repository of Thoughts, Yarns and Stories

#29 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

I jumped on my main machine and it's all good to me so far.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#30 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

"Upgraded" Last night.  iMac has been inop since.

#31 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

View Postravenpen, on November 5th 2007, 02:51 PM, said:

The only other issue I've found is that the On/Off button on my external Western Digital "Mybook Pro" drive has ceased functioning.  I now have to unplug the power cord to turn it off.

The button's worked for me every time except for one. I always eject the drive before using the button though, and then hold it down to power down the drive.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#32 ravenpen

ravenpen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

View Postcharmin, on November 5th 2007, 08:14 PM, said:

The button's worked for me every time except for one. I always eject the drive before using the button though, and then hold it down to power down the drive.

Under Tiger I would eject the drive and then wait for the indicator light to stabilize before pressing the button and turning the drive off.

I didn't use to have to hold the button down, but I'll try that under Leopard and see if it works.

Thanks for the tip.  :happy:
Raven's Tales - A Repository of Thoughts, Yarns and Stories

#33 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

Still running Panther here too. It's gonna be hard to leave it behind. Heck, I'll keep Panther on a partition.

I'm with Bernie on this one. eBay will likely be my choice though. Surprised (a little) ;)  MacSales.com doesn't have Tiger single user license anymore. Weird.

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#34 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

Just discovered my second and most annoying bug: total keyboard failure. Keyboard just stops working entirely, and requires a reboot to come back to life.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#35 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

View Postnobody, on November 7th 2007, 01:26 AM, said:

Just discovered my second and most annoying bug: total keyboard failure. Keyboard just stops working entirely, and requires a reboot to come back to life.

MacFixit
Has a new article concerning a lot of issues and helps with 10.5.

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#36 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

View PostKutch, on November 4th 2007, 07:56 PM, said:

Exposť IS indeed choppier but that's because it performs in less time than in Tiger, so it tries to render faster. The first few frames do lag a bit when selecting windows in another application than the current one.

That is really irritating as it was very smooth in Tiger and now it seems like the windows jump in size almost without any animation :(

#37 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

On my main machine--BUT my files are mostly on a server, so I felt the risk was minimal. Normally I'd wait for .x.1.

#38 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

ive got leopard running now. had it installed for 4 hours and ive already broken safari with trying to get plugins to work :)
i mean :(

another bad thing is that the httpmail plugin doesnt work yet, and will take a while. But at least my cube is on 10.4 still.

my main hate is the new dock. ive got it set to 2D... but why cant it look like the 10.4 one at least? or actually let me customize it without hackery to get it the colour i want it, just like APE and cleardock used to allow me... plenty of other similar cosmetic issues around (pixadex, candybar, cocktail, shapeshifter, mailstamps etc. etc.)

my second thing on the hit list is the finder not remembering what view my windows had... why!?!?!? after some experimenting ive discovered that i can set windows to always open in a certain way by going to the view options. not only is this tedious and counter intuitive, but there is a bug where if you go to a new window, then hit back, then the window you originated in will have the view of the other. using the path function doesnt result in this... so i can only assume that this is a mix of partial stupidity on the part of apple (i can see where theyre coming from, it just happens that theyre wrong) and bugs.

on the other hand, i love the new front row (though its no longer seamless with the rest of the OS. a step back there), and A2DP is huge for me cos now i can get decent sound quality and not disturb people with late night watching of monk or heroes or whatever. though its still pretty buggy to be honest.

but despite these small few set backs, i think that with 10.5.1 leopard will hit its stride, as by that time people will have learnt how to mod things. APE will hopefully be back on its feet, and so someone will have fixed the damnable dock.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#39 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:55 PM

Has anybody else had issues with leopard becoming somewhat unstable after a few days of uptime? I used to never restart Tiger, but after 5 days, Leopard started getting a bit temperamental, with Finder and a few other applications crashing.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#40 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

On the whole, I'm very happy with leopard. (though i think the 3D dock looks ugly!).
My G5 system feels faster and performs a lot better. But launching applications (from the dock) can sometimes be slow. They'll bounce for much longer than normal, before loading. Sometimes similar pauses happen with spotlight. Wondering what the hell is causing this. Perhaps I should have waited for 10.5.1 !

Time Machine saved my iWeb work once already. Love this!!!

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)