#1 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

Well, to start things off, a tip:

If you have an X1900 & Steam keeps telling you to update your drivers, ignore it. The new drivers make any shiny or transparent surfaces in TF3 a weird iridescent purple.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

Lovin' lovin' lovin' TF2. Wow, and I normally despise shooters. This one's a blast and can't wait to team up with some fellow IMGers for a grand-ole firefight! Portal was brilliant but short.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Aye TF 2 is some good stuff and I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: It's nice to have TF back in the scene again! :)  Although it took a little while to get used to playing it without grenades and armor, I do like it better overall now, mainly for the reason that the medic is no longer a Peter Cottontail hopping offensive class, like it is in just about every other TF game/mod that has the conc grens.  I like playing medic now that I know I won't get yelled at  (or in Q3F TK'ed) for not being on offense.  I do wish there were some more CTF maps from users that were good, I've only played a couple so far that were.  The rest had some pretty big flaws that ruined what was an otherwise good idea on the map maker's part.  CP is still fun, but CTF is where TF originated, so it's nice to have a balance :)

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

we need to put our user names out there so we can all gather together for some TF2ing fun.

mine is teflon6678, LB's and Huntn's (as mentioned elsewhere) are LordBrixton (correct me if wrong with the lack of a space) and Huntn respectively.

add us in the friends list.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:36 AM

Uhhh. my stats reset to zero last night.

No big deal - I didn't have any massive achievements to shout about, but it's puzzling.

It happened just as I was joining a game: Anyone else suffered from this?

Oh and none of these loons are me

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.

Posted Image

#6 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:58 AM

"DaveyJJ" is mine, naturally.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#7 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

'incompleteunit' here. I'd love to get together with some IMG'ers, though I can't promise much time right now.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#8 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

Mine is drizztvi

Re: That pic from LB

Those folks are awesome! :)  I saw a bunch of others they did including at least one with them dressed up as the Blu team :D  That's the first one that I've seen a medic in though.

#9 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

ill add all you guys now.... done!

if i see you on at all ill probably try join in a game with you. i specialize in being not as rubbish as a Heavy or Medic. in fact id go as far as to say that im "not bad"... ;)

i just played an absolute marathon 2+ hour game on a british server (the name eludes me a second) and it didnt move in any direction for long. i joined and we were kinda losing, pulled it back to half way (despite having no balance to the team). then the server mod turned up and me and he (heavy and medic) spent the next 40 minutes clawing our way forwards... i tell you it was hard work... specially with the enemies' propensity to spam an area with grenades and rockets to claw back... but still, we made a solid nucleus for our team to build around and were the main forward pushing force.

and it really shows how well made the game is. it just takes two people to work together and they can get the game to a near win situation through solid graft and leading by example. when i left, there were 2 or 3 medics and another heavy compared to 1 medic and no heavies when i joined...

wow... sorry about that, it was like i was reminiscing about my childhood to a grandchild... not that im anywhere near that old...

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#10 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:15 AM

I just threw together an IMG Steam group.  If you feel like donating a nice, big IMG icon for the page, let me know!

http://steamcommunit.../InsideMacGames

Oh, and since I'm sure that at least one or two of you will be looking at my TF2 stats, know that they were reset a couple of days ago, so everything's in a pitiful state.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#11 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:59 AM

how come peoples stats are getting reset? mine werent, i just didnt play for two weeks or so.

#12 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:43 AM

My stats, such as they are, didn't get reset either.

But I now bomb out the program due to a "pooled memory error" after updating to Leopard and then updating the Boot Camp driver on the Windows side using the Leopard updater. 20" Core Duo iMac with 256MB ATI X1600 card. Be careful kids.

Darn. I'll try using the 1.4 ATI driver again and see if that fixes it. Or is there another way to revert?

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#13 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

My stats came back as mysteriously as they disappeared.

They're still lame though.

:blush:

Posted Image

#14 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

Got online last night with drizztvi and managed to actually not look too bad for an hour or more of play time. Actually managed to stay alive and contribute to the team as a demoman (mostly) ... that was a riot. I guess you need a mike for the voice ... the built in iMac mike won't work?

Only issue I've had is people swearing like sailors. Now, I swear like a sailor as much as the next guy but my 10 year old sometimes hangs out watching me play and I have to completely turn off the volume in most games. Sigh. Makes listening for battle difficult.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#15 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on November 4th 2007, 08:44 PM, said:

My stats came back as mysteriously as they disappeared.

i believe the latest TF2 patch addressed this issue of corruption of the stats, probably by dling them from valve's servers.

View PostDaveyJJ, on November 4th 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

Got online last night with drizztvi and managed to actually not look too bad for an hour or more of play time. Actually managed to stay alive and contribute to the team as a demoman (mostly) ... that was a riot. I guess you need a mike for the voice ... the built in iMac mike won't work?

it should do. head into the game preferences and fiddle around there some... you may simply have to turn on the microphone and check the levels. Or perhaps the bootcamp drivers have failed on you and you need to reinstall them.

Only issue I've had is people swearing like sailors.

plenty of servers object to unnecessary profanity, so you should probably try hunt those down. I havent really encountered this yet, mainly cos people seem to be a bit timid about using their mics. of course, this is actually a boon to the few people on a server who will use them, as not only can they have a little banter going on between them, but they can also form a solid basis for their team, with their chatter guiding other players who arent on the mics.

if theres swearing though, id recommend hunting for a different server and when you find one you like sticking it in your favourites. Or there may be an option to turn the voices down/off...

we need to organise a get together at some point. ill try and be in windows a bit more often of an evening here. But thats only really useful between me and LB... aside from on weekends, but im often busy then... oh! its so complicated!

#16 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Aye those were some fun games Davey!  Even though most of those guys using voice chat were swearing up a storm, we still managed some pretty good coordination out of it.  Having a headset makes all the difference in the world in my experience.  There should be a tab in steam's settings for enabling voice chat.  After that you can test it before joining a server.  Although I still made sure people could hear me ok after I first enabled it.

#17 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

View PostDrizzt, on November 5th 2007, 02:59 AM, said:

Aye those were some fun games Davey!  Even though most of those guys using voice chat were swearing up a storm, we still managed some pretty good coordination out of it.  Having a headset makes all the difference in the world in my experience.  There should be a tab in steam's settings for enabling voice chat.  After that you can test it before joining a server.  Although I still made sure people could hear me ok after I first enabled it.

My iSight mic works fine in testing, but either no-one can hear me in game or they can't understand my aristocratic tones

Posted Image

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

Any particular time you guys play? I need to convert over t0 Central time (-6 I think). I used to play UT with a Mac clan where the head dudes lived in Europe. Those guys would be up to the wee hours playing with us Yanks.  I think voice comms would make a big difference. I'll start looking for you all next time I'm on. Lately I've been preoccupied with configuring laptops.

Anyone know if you can easily access your Steam account and play steam games from more than one computer? I'll be sticking the Orange Box on my MBP soon.
Thanks!

#19 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

central is GMT-7. Mainland europe then would be 8 hours ahead. this is from my extensive experience with the IMGpodcast and the various time conversions we have to do...

i dont really play at a particular time, more like when i can be bothered to boot into windows... so maybe once or twice a week. less so seeing as i like to watch Monk from bed. but late at night would be when i have a marathon session/try and find a decent server and stick with it.

Steam accounts can simply be logged into. install steam and youre away basically. obviously you cant have two computers logged in at the same time, but aside from that, if the game is installed and youre logged in, then youre away.

#20 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

View PostHuntn, on November 5th 2007, 11:50 PM, said:

Any particular time you guys play?

My play times can be pretty sporadic as well.  Throughout the week I sometimes play depending on what I want to do that evening.  I definitely play on weekends most of the time due to one of my friends from UnF who lives in the UK playing in the early to mid day my time.  Other than that, check to see if I'm in game I guess? :)