106 replies to this topic

#21 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

Please stop reminding me why I hate MacPlay so much.
Edward

#22 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:54 AM

More Intel tests:

World of Padman
GooBall (latest version)

Both seem fine in Leopard on Intel.

Battlestar Galactica: Beyond the Red Line - No go :(

#23 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

could someone please check Stars Wars Battlefront

thanks

-Snake :thumbsup:
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#24 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

I think someone already said it doesn't work.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#25 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

So, as for Tomb Raider Chronicles; Does the Level Editor work ok too?

Thanks,
yo-mike

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#26 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

View Posteschatz, on November 2nd 2007, 10:33 PM, said:

Please stop reminding me why I hate MacPlay so much.
Save some of that hate for the Omni Group -- most of the non-functional games look to be their jewels.

I find it funny that "zOMG were teh BEST" Cocoa developers couldn't do a port that runs on any OS version later than the one it was developed on.

#27 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

View PostdevSin, on November 4th 2007, 09:42 PM, said:

Save some of that hate for the Omni Group -- most of the non-functional games look to be their jewels.

I find it funny that "zOMG were teh BEST" Cocoa developers couldn't do a port that runs on any OS version later than the one it was developed on.

Fair enough. But did MacPlay refuse to pony up the money to fix them, did Omni refuse to do any work or could they simply not agree on a price? Any way you slice it, it sucks.
Edward

#28 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

Actually, I think Omni bailed to pursue so-called "productivity" software (focusing on their core business of OmniWeb and OmniGraffle and OmniSmall and Unimportant but with a Big Footprint.app) full-time, and like most developers, I'm sure they're not contractually obligated to provide patches for the released product (or they may have had a one or two patch limit). But I don't know that MacPlay would have even requested that they do one (MacPlay, without their own internal developers like MacSoft and Aspyr, got stuck in a bad spot once all their independent developers got real jobs and then just gave up).

Not to detract from the fact that MacPlay post-release support was abhorrent, but they're dead now, so there's not much point to sticking the knife in anymore. :)

#29 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

View PostdevSin, on November 4th 2007, 09:42 PM, said:

BTW, I didn't really notice it until now, but if anyone ever said z0|\/|G w3re t3h ße57! about Omni, they should punch themselves.  :nods: I got a good laugh though.
Edward

#30 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:27 AM

View PostdevSin, on November 5th 2007, 12:42 PM, said:

Possibly a sad confirmation that you're better off to roll your own rather than use the fancy OS features, because they'll stop working in the next release.

#31 Rank Xerox

Rank Xerox

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

World War II Online, aka Battleground Europe: WWII Online runs with a significant increase of FPS on Leopard.

Then is there a new sound issue. This is proberbly a problem that originats from an old OpenAL issue WWIIOL have had with OS X since I think Jaguar (v10.2). One of the later bigger Tiger patches (10.4.8?) fixed it eventually though. But now is it back again it seems. :(

Nothing big: when moving and a gun starts firing is the sound level too loud (a distant gun sounds like it is firing just nearby). If you stop moving will the sound level back to normal (expected) sound level, if you start moving will the sound go up again. This doesn't happen for all guns, but on a random basis.

#32 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

View Postyo-mike, on November 4th 2007, 11:44 PM, said:

So, as for Tomb Raider Chronicles; Does the Level Editor work ok too?

Thanks,
yo-mike

The level editor is a Mac OS 9 (Classic) application so it won't run on Leopard (neither will TR Gold, TR II, TR 3 or TR TLR - a real shame these never got ported to OS X). TLR used the same engine as Chronicles I believe so I never understood why it wasn't carbonized. The level Player application is Carbon and does run. I tested it with the Times TR level.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#33 Atomic Glee

Atomic Glee

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

SimCity 4 + Rush Hour crashes to the desktop shortly after entering a city under Leopard on my MacBook Pro.

And just after it got universal status...  :(

#34 JGuy80

JGuy80

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:08 AM

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds does not work on Intel Mac under Leopard.  There's a graphic error that turns the entire screen black.

#35 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

Beyond the Red Line update - works fine (on my Intel iMac) with this fix:
http://www.game-ward...mp;postcount=10

#36 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on November 4th 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

could someone please check Stars Wars Battlefront

Battlefront should work fine - it gets a lot of playtime in the halls here under Leopard. :)

View PostJGuy80, on November 6th 2007, 09:08 AM, said:

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds does not work on Intel Mac under Leopard.  There's a graphic error that turns the entire screen black.

Make sure you're using the 1.1.1 patch. Does it still happen then?

View PostTesseract, on November 5th 2007, 04:27 AM, said:

Possibly a sad confirmation that you're better off to roll your own rather than use the fancy OS features, because they'll stop working in the next release.

I've always wondered what it was about their usage of QuickTime that broke so badly, because most of the games I worked on (and are apparently still chugging) used QuickTime for audio and movies. Does anyone know?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#37 JGuy80

JGuy80

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:59 AM

Still no luck with Galactic Battlegrounds.   I get a bunch of missing files errors, like sound and graphic files.  Then the game quits and my screen goes black so that I must forcequit the game.

View PostBrad Oliver, on November 8th 2007, 05:52 PM, said:

Battlefront should work fine - it gets a lot of playtime in the halls here under Leopard. :)
Make sure you're using the 1.1.1 patch. Does it still happen then?
I've always wondered what it was about their usage of QuickTime that broke so badly, because most of the games I worked on (and are apparently still chugging) used QuickTime for audio and movies. Does anyone know?

#38 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on November 8th 2007, 03:52 PM, said:

Maybe it's just a Carbon v Cocoa thing? I'm not aware of any other fullscreen game developers that would try to use Cocoa exclusively wherever possible (and who knows how robust interfacing with "classic" APIs was back in 10.1 and 10.2). But surely you would already know that (or could find out), so no, I don't think anyone knows (outside Omni and MacPlay).

#39 akac

akac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

View PostThe, on October 28th 2007, 01:33 PM, said:

Command & Conquer 3:  The installer for the 1.0.8 patch does not work, but if you install the patch on another computer with Tiger and copy the game back onto your Leopard system it works fine.

Age Of Mythology:  Works Fine with Binary Patch

Age Of Empires II: Works Fine

Halo:  Works fine

Call Of Duty 2:  It still stutters a but like it did on Tiger with the 8600, but not as much

Battlefield 2142:  Runs ok, it Crashed once while joining a game

System Tested on:
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz
128mb NVidia 8600

I just installed C&C 3 on Leopard MBP, then installed the 1.08 patch and then the 1.09 patch. Worked fine. Their patch site said they fixed the 1.08 patch for Leopard.

#40 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

UT2004 update: I think Leopard's repair-permissions was the culprit, and I think I have a fix:
http://www.insidemac...showtopic=32017