46 replies to this topic

#21 randfee

randfee

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

just use XP, Vista Performance still sucks compared to XP!! And don't even try this in parallels... won't give you even half the performance...and performance is already low for this  baby...
crazy physicist
MBP SR 2,4GHz | GeForce 8600mGT 256MB | 4GB RAM (Buffalo) | 250GB (WD2500BEVS)

#22 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

View PostHansi, on November 1st 2007, 12:25 PM, said:

You could run Parallels or Vmware on the boot camp partion and keep the installer on the Mac Partion and use a shared folder so that when it loads the temp files you will not have to worry about the 1.7GB being on the Windows partion already.

Actually I'm trying this on my PC. But note that the installer is on my J drive (an external drive) but when it launches, it automatically selects my C drive to unstuff the files. I have managed to get my C drive free space up to 2GB. I noticed in the Program Files folder there is stuff in there that I don't want but it does not show up in the Remove Program Control Panel. Crap such as labeled WindowsNT, but when I try to delete it, XP tells me it's used by another program. I might suspect that this is another plot by MS to keep their stuff on my hardrive. Heaven forbid if I try to remove Explorer! Anyway it looks like it might install now.
Thanks for the suggestion!

View Postrandfee, on November 1st 2007, 12:44 PM, said:

just use XP, Vista Performance still sucks compared to XP!! And don't even try this in parallels... won't give you even half the performance...and performance is already low for this  baby...

I've got access to Vista so I'm gonna have to try it and keep the fingers crossed. If worse comes to worse I'll revert to XP. Gosh, I wonder if the System will allow me to revert to an older OS?

The Crysis Demo Installer is now going for me. I'll report back on Pentium4 performance. :)

edit: I ran through about the first 15 minutes of the game. The intro movie was enough to sell me immediately! I'm impressed that this game runs pretty smoothly on my P4, however all graphic settings due to my outdated card default to low and consequently all the foliage, terrain and overall look of the game is rough. It's like watching a low-rez movie. But that is life with low end hardware, right? Hopefully I'll get this cranked on my MBP and in the future on a DX10 PC and get something that looks better. But this is the kind of scalability that I think most gamers want when playing games that are out of their hardware's league. Lots of customizations on weapons and such. Thumbs up.

If you are on the min system specs and have not played Far Cry, that would definitely be worth looking at too.

Edited by Huntn, 01 November 2007 - 01:32 PM.

#23 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:55 PM

View Postrandfee, on November 1st 2007, 03:17 AM, said:

MacBook Pro 15", 2,4GHz, 4GB RAM, GF 8600m GT 256, WinXP Pro SP2 + DX9 Nov. Update
Standard clock (470/630)
overclocked (559/838) using RivaTuner 2.06 Beta. Temps are nice withing 85C
========================================

So Crysis works ok on that Laptop? It's the same as mine but I only have 2GB RAM.. will it still run?

#24 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:08 AM

yes itll still run, though id recommend knocking everything down to medium.
you probably need the latest beta drivers too, but try without them first.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#25 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:42 AM

Now I have to run out and try this too. Throw in a sweet Crysis editor and what a package, huh?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#26 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:05 AM

View Postteflon, on November 2nd 2007, 03:08 AM, said:

yes itll still run, though id recommend knocking everything down to medium.
you probably need the latest beta drivers too, but try without them first.

Are you referring to the drivers Randfee referred to?

#27 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

uh... probably...

the beta drivers released specifically to optimise for Crysis.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#28 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:40 AM

Initial look at Crysis on my MPB (see my signature) is not good from a FPS standpoint. I dropped the resolution to 800x600, settings on Medium. Using Fraps, the FPS hovered between 5-10. It seemed puzzling that even when movies were running, with no player interaction, the fps stayed consistently low.

I see 3 possibilities. I've got 2 GB RAM enroute to up my total to 4 GB. I can try the beta drivers. And finally I can revert to WinXP.

I noticed that the OSX disk runs in windows to install the Boot Camp drivers so I'm wondering if I don't like the beta drivers how to revert to the Boot Camp install? From past experience, my guess would be to manually remove the drivers from the Device Manager and then rerun the Boot Camp installer in Windows.

#29 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

if we haven't said it enough already, yes use the beta drivers.  it makes a huge difference :o
"Nothing here but us text"

#30 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

i needed the beta drivers to get the plane to look like a plane, and not a bunch of flying windows...

also, you should note that performance for me picked up amazing amounts once i landed. up until that point i was getting around5 Fps like you said, but after i actually started running around, it was much better.

im not entirely sure about the balancing of the guns against the enemies. for example, youre relatively easy to kill, but have a super suit that heals you back up over time. fair enough, run away and hide a bit. but the koreans, wearing ordinary military gear which has the disclaimer saying that its actually no real use to any kind of direct bullet shots aside from a handgun shot at near maximum range (im talking real life here) can take almost as much punishment as you before dying...

something about that feels slightly wrong.

also, is it me, or does using the gun sights do practically nothing to help your aim?

ill play it through again later, and learn all the short cuts and keyboard mappings, as that will probably help a great deal.

#31 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:00 AM

View Postteflon, on November 3rd 2007, 09:06 AM, said:

im not entirely sure about the balancing of the guns against the enemies. for example, youre relatively easy to kill, but have a super suit that heals you back up over time. fair enough, run away and hide a bit. but the koreans, wearing ordinary military gear which has the disclaimer saying that its actually no real use to any kind of direct bullet shots aside from a handgun shot at near maximum range (im talking real life here) can take almost as much punishment as you before dying...

something about that feels slightly wrong.

I've only played through it once, so my perception of this may be off, but it seemed to me that the power of any of the guns was dramatically reduced with the suppressor installed, especially at range. Which, honestly, is how it should be. With the suppressor installed I tried to get closer and go for head shots as much as possible. By the end of the demo I had given up on being stealthy and taken the suppressor off. I think the game got a lot easier at that point. *shrug* I guess it's going to depend upon the level and how much opposition we will be facing. There may be times when going sneaky is the only way, but it sure does seem to make dropping the bad guys a lot more difficult.
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#32 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

hmmm... you may well be right, as i used the suppressor a lot. i reckon, then,  that seeing as the stealth doesnt last long when moving, and the suppressor makes it very difficult to get a one hit one kill (and thus the guard will shout out and alert any other nearby enemies, and most of the island), its pretty pointless to use the supressor and just be sneaky till you want to kill someone.

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

Some good news to report. I used the following settings to up my FPS to the 15-30 range:
Texture= medium
Objects= medium
Shadows= low
Physics= low
Shaders= med
Volumetric= med
Game= med
Post Processing= low
Particles= med
water= low
sound= low

It is definitely worth experimenting a bit with to see what the sweet spot is for these settings. I'd like to get better shadow quality. For reference before making any changes to the above settings if I turned Anti-aliasing on, frames dropped from 10 -> 3.
And if I bumped up resolution (by itself) from 800x600 to 1024X768, frames dropped from 10 ->5. It may be playing this game at 800x600 but it appears that the lower resolution effects game appearance more so than in previous games. I think it has something to do with the high graphic quality that DX10 aspires to along with the volumetric atmospheric effects. If the resolution is dropped low, I think it's like a kick in the graphics teeth. ;)

However the game is now playable. I've still got 2 GB RAM in route and maybe that will help a bit.

A.I? Well it's pretty standard. Seems like NPCs like to stand and make targets of themselves even after comrades have dropped. It's just a feeling at this point but I've not yet been impressed.

#34 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

For anyone who has updated their MBP Nvidia drivers:

I started to update my Nvidia drivers. Starting on the Laptopvideo2 go page I picked the  163.67 driver for 32 bit Vista. Then on the 163.67 driver page I downloaded both the driver and the Modded INF file. Then using laptoptogo tutorial for reference, I started the driver update. Everything went smoothly until I selected the unzipped driver folder and got to the part about picking my Nvidia card. I have a 8600M GT according to Windows and that card was not on the list . There was 8600 GS and 8600 GX. I'd rather be safe than sorry so I cancelled the update until I checked with someone here who has done the update. Could I have picked one of these other cards or do I need to find an update file that specifically lists the GeForce 8600M GT?

Thanks!

#35 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:35 PM

i didnt have to pick any card... you dropped the modded inf into the expanded driver folder right?? it seems like its asking because it cant find your GPU in the list. but the modded inf should have it...

in reality, the inf changes nothing about the actual drivers other than what GPUs it looks for before it will install.

also, for crysis, the drivers you would want are the 169.04 drivers

#36 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

View Postteflon, on November 4th 2007, 06:35 PM, said:

i didnt have to pick any card... you dropped the modded inf into the expanded driver folder right?? it seems like its asking because it cant find your GPU in the list. but the modded inf should have it...

in reality, the inf changes nothing about the actual drivers other than what GPUs it looks for before it will install.

also, for crysis, the drivers you would want are the 169.04 drivers

I started by following this tutorial. I think I missed dropping the modded inf into the expanded driver part. Also the 169.04 drivers are not listed on the main laptopvideo2go page.

I'm wondering why it is not listed in the "newest driver" column at laptopstogo?   Just checked this Vista Driver page and don't see 169.01. The highest listed is 163.75. I must be looking in the wrong place. However I found it on Nvidia's page I think. Could you post a link to the download page?

Now I just have to figure out in the install process in windows, when updating the driver, if you'll see your exact video card, the 8600M GT when it asks you to pick a card after you've guided the driver update to the drivers folder.
Thanks!

#37 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

here you go!

i honestly dont know why its not on the front page or in the "download drivers" section, but its on the forums in the 16x release section. stickied to the top.

that guide seems pretty good, and its pretty different from XP, which is where i am, in that you go via the driver update section in the OS as opposed to through the actual drivers.

good luck!

#38 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:27 AM

View Postteflon, on November 5th 2007, 03:16 AM, said:

here you go!

i honestly dont know why its not on the front page or in the "download drivers" section, but its on the forums in the 16x release section. stickied to the top.

that guide seems pretty good, and its pretty different from XP, which is where i am, in that you go via the driver update section in the OS as opposed to through the actual drivers.

good luck!

Thank you, Teflon. I see now that the downloads are actually in the forums. I'll give this a shot and report back.

I downloaded this Nvidia Forceware 169.01 beta release driver directly from Nvidia's page. It came with an installer.  I wonder if this is the same thing?

Last time I played the Crysis Demo, most of my time I was around 13 fps, but the game was surprisingly playable, sneaking around the beach to a rendezvous point. This game reminds me of Rainbow Six in a way where I'm actually trying to be sneaky, spending a relatively large amount of time covering distances to avoid being seen.

#39 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

i believe that the installers come as self-unpacking files which then turn into the folder that you install from.. Also, that laptopvieo2go actually just link to the nvidia site for the actual drivers, and simply host the modded inf files.

also, go for the 169.04 drivers. i think there were 3 or 4 releases in as many days fixing bugs and niggles very very quickly...

#40 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:47 AM

View Postteflon, on November 5th 2007, 07:09 AM, said:

i believe that the installers come as self-unpacking files which then turn into the folder that you install from.. Also, that laptopvieo2go actually just link to the nvidia site for the actual drivers, and simply host the modded inf files.

When I downloaded Nvidias installer package (the one I linked to on Nvidia'a site) I saw no real performance difference. It was when I downloaded the 169.04 that things took off.

Ok, I'm impressed.
With the 169.04 drivers installed my frames jumped from 13 to 29. So I got "the" game playable in DX10 on my MBP.  :wub:  There is a lot of talk in the laptopvideo2go forums about overclocking. Anyone here familiar? Is it something easily accomplished and do I really want to experiment? Any links appreciated.

Thanks again!

My latest settings with 169.04 drivers- FPS hovering in high 20's at 800x600. At 1024x768 frames drop to the low 20s with no discernible difference in quality that I can see.
Texture= medium
Objects= medium
Shadows= low
Physics= high
Shaders= med
Volumetric= high
Game= med
Post Processing= low
Particles= high
water= low
sound= low