46 replies to this topic

#1 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:12 PM

I just got done with the Crysis demo and I'm impressed. The demo is pretty long, which is nice because you get a good feel for the game play and plenty of time to get used to the interface and control scheme. The graphics are excellent, which shouldn't be any surprise.  I really liked the way you can customize all of your weapons. You can add suppressors, red dot reflex sights, grenade launchers, tactical lights, etc. It's cool to mix and match and since you can carry two rifles you can keep one configured with a suppressor and the other without. That way you get sneaky and full hit power with a quick switch of guns.

The combat suit your character wears is nifty, too. By holding down mouse button 3 you can configure the suit to give you added strength, speed, stealth or armor. Very slick. Not a new idea, of course *cough*Gordon Freeman's HEV suit*cough* but well implimented.

Combat looks and feels a lot like FarCry. The setting is very much like Far Cry as well, at least as far as you can see in the demo. Just as in Far Cry you can use your binoculars to spot enemy soldiers at a distance, so that they show up on your tactical display as you make a stealthy approach. It's also slick how destructible the environment is. In a couple of firefights I was in parts of the jungle got mowed down like that one scene in Predator; trees falling over, etc.

On a somewhat amusing note, the DPRK troops sure do speak good English. I had to laugh every time I heard something like, "Yankee coward!" Maybe it's the suit interpreting for them?  :happy:

Anybody else played it? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#2 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:42 AM

The demo was a blast, I want more.  The only thing I don't like is that there doesn't seem to be an (easy?) way of binding the different suit abilities to keys instead of having to use the middle mouse and then mouse over the ability.  It really upsets the flow of the game to me.  Otherwise, it's a blast to play.

Also, make sure you have the latest Nvidia Beta drivers installed.  It will drastically help performance and fix a lot of weird artifacting.
"Nothing here but us text"

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:41 AM

I downloaded the demo (fileshack) but have as yet been unable to try it. I've just been busy with work. I should be able to get to it soon and post my impressions.

Although for the record I did Far Cry, and I didn't really like it. This however looks much much better.

Also, make sure you have the latest Nvidia Beta drivers installed. It will drastically help performance and fix a lot of weird artifacting.

I seem to be having trouble finding these beta drivers. Could you please give me a link?

Thanks!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:51 AM

View PostWumpus, on October 28th 2007, 02:41 AM, said:

I seem to be having trouble finding these beta drivers. Could you please give me a link?
nvidia.com -> download drivers -> other drivers: beta drivers

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

#5 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

View PostFourth Horseman, on October 28th 2007, 01:12 AM, said:

On a somewhat amusing note, the DPRK troops sure do speak good English. I had to laugh every time I heard something like, "Yankee coward!" Maybe it's the suit interpreting for them?  :happy:
According to what I read, the harder modes have the enemies speaking Korean.

#6 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:53 PM

Presumably, the trailers were shot using DX10? A friend has been running the demo for part of the day, and even on High settings, it doesn't look nearly as nice as the trailers did. Also runs at about 5fps on those settings :)
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#7 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

View Postbobbob, on October 28th 2007, 10:51 AM, said:

nvidia.com -> download drivers -> other drivers: beta drivers

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

for us unsupported laptop users, head over to www.laptopvideo2go.com and root around there.
ive got the demo installed and everything, but the graphics are buggy cos of my old drivers... *sigh* oh to pains of PC gaming.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#8 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

View Postcharmin, on October 28th 2007, 12:53 PM, said:

Presumably, the trailers were shot using DX10?

Or under XP:
http://www.crysis-on...837.0#msg203789

#9 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

Very interesting. I'll get him to play about with those settings and see how it pans out.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)

#10 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

i found that while the game auto detects my system as 'high' im much much better off at 'medium' for all the advanced settings.

even so, there is one heck of a lot of pop up with the scenery, which is very distracting when trying to hunt down a korean...

also note that the opening sequence with the plane is very jerky, but soon picks up once through the clouds (no idea why really)..

aside from that its a very good looking game, pretty much on par with UE3 engine id say, but able to do large open spaces. It is, however, much more demanding as a consequence, and so will only look better if youve got a kicking machine...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#11 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

View Postteflon, on October 29th 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

i found that while the game auto detects my system as 'high' im much much better off at 'medium' for all the advanced settings.

even so, there is one heck of a lot of pop up with the scenery, which is very distracting when trying to hunt down a korean...

also note that the opening sequence with the plane is very jerky, but soon picks up once through the clouds (no idea why really)..

aside from that its a very good looking game, pretty much on par with UE3 engine id say, but able to do large open spaces. It is, however, much more demanding as a consequence, and so will only look better if youve got a kicking machine...

On my Mac Pro and X1900, I found that running everything on high EXCEPT the shaders (medium) makes a huge difference in frame rate. Change the Shaders settings to "High" and everything slows to a crawl.

/shrug

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#12 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

View Postteflon, on October 29th 2007, 11:10 PM, said:

pretty much on par with UE3 engine id say

On my mate's machine (if I'm booting into Windows, it's not for a demo), I think UT3 looked quite a bit better than Crysis. However, this is presumably because UT3 is so much less demanding that the graphics options were set much higher than in Crysis. The trailers and promo stuff for Crysis look truly fantastic, so I think it's a case of CryENGINE2 being able to scale up better.

All in all, I'd say UT3 is probably going to look (and play) better for MOST people for quite a while. Crysis is just ahead of its time.

#13 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

MBP, with 4GB RAM is on the way. Once I'm configured with Vista I'll be giving this a go. What was the deal on having more than 2GB RAM installed, was that XP or Vista or both?

#14 randfee

randfee

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

I love that game. Have been following it for 18 months now, long time. I've been a BETA tester for the past couple of weeks and played the demo every day of the last week. I think I'll upgrade my desktop to get this thing going, or hope for nvidia to do some more of its magic. The new Beta drivers are pretty good already....

Comparison of 169.01 & 169.04. Keep in mind that the 169.01 is already a good 15% faster than the 163.75, which was already faster than any bootcamp driver!
Get drivers at www.laptopvideo2go.com

MacBook Pro 15", 2,4GHz, 4GB RAM, GF 8600m GT 256, WinXP Pro SP2 + DX9 Nov. Update
Standard clock (470/630)
overclocked (559/838) using RivaTuner 2.06 Beta. Temps are nice withing 85C
========================================

resolution: 1024*640

Posted Image

in the end, I should have saved and gotten the 2,2GHz version for around 350 bucks less (developer) and spend that on a 8800GT + some CPU for my 4 year old desktop :) Probably gonna do that anyway...
crazy physicist
MBP SR 2,4GHz | GeForce 8600mGT 256MB | 4GB RAM (Buffalo) | 250GB (WD2500BEVS)

#15 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:05 AM

View Postrandfee, on October 31st 2007, 10:17 PM, said:

Comparison of 169.01 & 169.04. Keep in mind that the 169.01 is already a good 15% faster than the 163.75, which was already faster than any bootcamp driver!
Get drivers at www.laptopvideo2go.com

The drivers you mentioned, what exactly are they for? I'm usually thinking in terms of a driver for a particular graphic card. Your link posts drivers for XP and Vista.
Thanks!

Downloading the demo now to see if it will run on my ancient P4.

#16 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

they work for 6, 7 and 8 series of Nvidia cards.

#17 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

View PostMightySlugMan, on November 1st 2007, 09:21 AM, said:

they work for 6, 7 and 8 series of Nvidia cards.

Thanks for the clarification. With a Mac/Boot Camp/Windows, lets say you install Vista, then you try one of these drivers on your MBP while running Vista and somehow it messes things up. Is there an easy way to revert to the latest drivers provided by Boot Camp? Normally in Windows I would have downloaded a driver installer for my graphic card, so it would be pretty easy to revert to the last good driver.

#18 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

I've seen some programs out there that copy and backup the drivers your system is currently using.  Using one of these programs might be a good way to help revert back to an older driver.  Otherwise, I don't know about getting the drivers that bootcamp uses.

#19 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:31 AM

View PostMightySlugMan, on November 1st 2007, 11:09 AM, said:

I've seen some programs out there that copy and backup the drivers your system is currently using.  Using one of these programs might be a good way to help revert back to an older driver.  Otherwise, I don't know about getting the drivers that bootcamp uses.

Thanks for the tip!

I've run into a roadblock on the Crysis Demo. The installer is 1.7 GB and when launched it insists on unzipping temp files onto my C drive. Unfortunately I've only got about 900 MB of free space on my C drive so the install does not complete. :( I've tried to downsize content on my C drive in the past without much luck, but maybe there is a way. Any suggestions would be apprecicated.
Thanks!

#20 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:25 AM

View PostHuntn, on November 1st 2007, 04:31 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip!

I've run into a roadblock on the Crysis Demo. The installer is 1.7 GB and when launched it insists on unzipping temp files onto my C drive. Unfortunately I've only got about 900 MB of free space on my C drive so the install does not complete. :( I've tried to downsize content on my C drive in the past without much luck, but maybe there is a way. Any suggestions would be apprecicated.
Thanks!

You could run Parallels or Vmware on the boot camp partion and keep the installer on the Mac Partion and use a shared folder so that when it loads the temp files you will not have to worry about the 1.7GB being on the Windows partion already.