Your Official (tm) Orange Box Thread (c)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

OK, I just hopped into the hot rod, and while the engine burbled to life, I looked over at Alyx...and she winked at me.

That was undeniably the coolest video game moment ever, and it didn't involve lazer guns.

I feel all Burt Reynolds now.

YEE HAW!

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#62 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:55 AM

View PostAtticus, on October 30th 2007, 04:37 AM, said:

That was undeniably the coolest video game moment ever, and it didn't involve lazer guns.

i reckon there were.... if you know what i mean...

wierdo!!! ;)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#63 tman

tman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

View Postnobody, on October 15th 2007, 04:37 PM, said:

I figured out what my beef with this is. It's not so much the effusive praise in itself, but the fact that Freeman is eternally silent. I think this is a good choice for the game overall - keeping you constantly in the first-person POV, and not having the character talk is great for the immersion. The problem comes with the interaction with other characters. When they treat you as a silent character - offhand comments and such - then it works. But when they're lavishing you with attention it just gets weird, since you're not saying anything back. So it's just them saying 'you're so great!', then giving a little awkward smile as you don't/can't respond, then moving along. That and I guess the romantic insinuations with Alyx should be a little less forced.
It's definitely one of the very best for presentation of a story. There are other games that let you explore a little more, but the highly developed aesthetics and great attention to detail in HL2 make for one of the most satisfying storytelling experiences I've had in gaming.
I just got the Orange Box. Is it advisable or necessary to play HL1 first? I'm dying to get right into HL2.

#64 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

View Posttman, on November 30th 2007, 04:56 PM, said:

I just got the Orange Box. Is it advisable or necessary to play HL1 first? I'm dying to get right into HL2.

Not really necessary, definitely advised. It's sufficient for HL2 to know that Bad Things happened after the events of HL1, and that HL1 involved some dimensional weirdness. You will be missing out on some of the plot elements but the HL2 plot stands on its own for the most part.

If you get a chance though I definitely recommend picking up the HL1 anthology for around $20, which includes the first game and its two expansions. It's good stuff. I picked it up when I first built my PC about two years ago, before getting the second one.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64