Your Official (tm) Orange Box Thread (c)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

presents are always a let down kid... ive come to realise that after things started getting dull and unexciting. And theres still plenty life left in Portal for me, like 2 or 3 more runs through. its all the little nuances and hidden references that really make  it a brilliant game.

View PostAussieMacGamer, on October 10th 2007, 10:13 PM, said:

does the internet have to be on in my room if i want to launch any of the games?

you launch it once, make sure that steam saves your account details and then you can play offline for a while. but occasionally youll have to log in to reset the countdown to your computer literally melting....

well... not literally...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#22 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:07 PM

Yeah, well, my dad can still beat up your dad.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#23 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

how old is your dad? any medical conditions/disabilities?

actually, ill make a spin off thread now

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#24 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

Well, we can argue about TF2, but I think the 'box would deserve a 10 just for Portal alone. That game was awesome. Short, but so tight.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#25 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

Yeesh. Just finished Episode 2. Brutal ending.
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64

#26 dubbaplate

dubbaplate

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Steam Name:Rebel Scum

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

I purchased a retail copy the other day at gogamer.com (which should arrive tomorrow) - do I need to have an internet connection to run the non-online games?  :huh:
Still trying to figure out which ethernet driver I need for x64 Vista..  :bleedingeyes:
iMac C2D @ 2.4Ghz | ATI Radeon HD 2600 | 4GB RAM | 10.8.3 Mountain Lion

#27 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

im about half way through i think, maybe more like two thirds... just
Spoiler
very very good stuff so far. well paced and great use of more open spaces than in HL2 and E1 (which was a pretty weak episode compared to this one so far)...

#28 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

View Postteflon, on October 14th 2007, 04:00 PM, said:

im about half way through i think, maybe more like two thirds... just
Spoiler
very very good stuff so far. well paced and great use of more open spaces than in HL2 and E1 (which was a pretty weak episode compared to this one so far)...

I thought Episode 1 was well done. I like how they're trying out different gameplay concepts in each episode. ep1 spoiler:
Spoiler

It didn't take long for me to get really into this one. The storytelling and gameplay are still really good. I just wish everyone wouldn't fawn over Freeman so much - it gets a bit annoying. The engine is starting to show its age a bit (maybe that's just the 'improved' vegetation, which still seems lacking), but that's more than made up for by the great art direction.

View Postdubbaplate, on October 14th 2007, 04:00 PM, said:

I purchased a retail copy the other day at gogamer.com (which should arrive tomorrow) - do I need to have an internet connection to run the non-online games?  :huh:
Still trying to figure out which ethernet driver I need for x64 Vista..  :bleedingeyes:

Yes. You'll need to activate the games via Steam. Once they're activated, you can play them in offline mode for a while before needing to reconfirm.
---

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

I just got around to watching the TF2 trailers....wow, very stylized and looks very different from UT. Is there a demo?  A brief search did not indicate there was. I intend on getting Episode 2 but it would be nice to check out TF2 before plunking down cash for the orange box. Will be heading to Best Buy tomorrow to make a purchase. This is the kind of game that should be native on the Mac.

BTW, are people playing this here on PC or Xbox360? I assume the 360 version includes TF2 split screen MP? I wonder how that works if each player is stuck with a class... Are there bots?

#30 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

trust me when i say that TF2 is well worth it. its one of the most polished online FPSs around, and is helped massively by not suffering from masses of lag (which i found immediately upon loading into UT3), and if you have one guy who knows what theyre doing, they can easily organise an absolute killer team from a bunch of strangers.

I was on a team with one such guy in a game of assault, and he and I played as heavies with medics boosting our health and we would literally just walk across the map capturing as we went over and over again. nothing could touch us because the other team lacked any sense of direction. The main thing that this guy used was the voice chat functionality built into the game, and it was one of the best examples of how online play should be.

in answer to your questions, Im playing on PC. K&M is just more natural. I have no idea about split screen in MP on X360, but you pick the class you want to be and can change when you die. There arent any bots because all of the classes are rather different, and as such would require 9 different bot types to be written...

the only problem i can see is that theres only 6 maps. though i believe that there are supposed to be more in the works.

i would definitely recommend getting the whole orange box as a package. even though youll duplicate HL2 and E1, you can donate them to a friend, and theres plenty extremely polished gameplay in the rest of it to be worth the $50.

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

View PostAtticus, on October 5th 2007, 11:43 AM, said:

It's cool that Steam is giving you the option to gift HL2 and Ep. 1 if you already own them. Unfortunately, none of my friends are gamers (or have the rigs to run HL), so I'll probably have a games giveaway via these forums.

Atticus

View Postteflon, on October 14th 2007, 06:24 PM, said:

i would definitely recommend getting the whole orange box as a package. even though youll duplicate HL2 and E1, you can donate them to a friend, and theres plenty extremely polished gameplay in the rest of it to be worth the $50.

I wonder if you buy the Orange Box retail and all ready own the orig HL2 and EP1 if the versions in the Orange Box have seperate serial numbers?

#32 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

I've brought a retail copy back but am waiting for 10.5 and the revised Boot Camp to reinstall Windows.

Or should I just jump in now do you all think?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 14th 2007, 06:57 PM, said:

I've brought a retail copy back but am waiting for 10.5 and the revised Boot Camp to reinstall Windows.

If 10.5 is going to be delayed another month, I'd go for it now.  BTW, I'm investigating how to move your Steam account to another hard drive. I'll post when I find out.

edit: That was easy here is the answer.

Edited by Huntn, 14 October 2007 - 06:20 PM.

#34 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on October 14th 2007, 07:57 PM, said:

Depends if you want to play some completely awesome games now, or later. ;)

If there are still bootcamp issues that could mar the experience, then I would wait and see if 10.5 improves things. Hard for me to say though, since I'm playing on a PC and the experience has been really good.
---

#35 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

From what I understand from inside the mother ship in Cupertino, 10.5 is going to ship before month's end come hell or high water. Whether it needs an nearly immediate 10.5.1 patch is another story. I will have to go with the knowledge that it'll ship in less than two weeks.

So, if I assume that, I guess I'll wait.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#36 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

as far as im aware, the only things that 10.5 boot camp will bring are the potential quick switching (though that may have got scrapped), newer drivers for everything, a slightly updated boot camp assistant (though i suspect itll just remove the beta time out)...

So i dont know if itll bring anything new to the table really...

id buy it now anyway, cos youll lose no time in reality considering that youll have to reinstall everything anyway if you follow your proposed plan.

View Postnobody, on October 14th 2007, 10:15 PM, said:

The engine is starting to show its age a bit (maybe that's just the 'improved' vegetation, which still seems lacking), but that's more than made up for by the great art direction.

engines have always struggled with outdoor areas, specially trees, which somehow always manage to look pretty rubbish. must be the leaves and difficulty of getting the shadows right...
the art is pretty ace though, and they dont overuse bloom effects. it definitely makes up for the engines age (effectively 4 years old now).
Id say that this engine literally only has one more HL2 game in it, and after that they need to move on to HL3 and craft a new engine for it.

View PostHuntn, on October 15th 2007, 12:57 AM, said:

I wonder if you buy the Orange Box retail and all ready own the orig HL2 and EP1 if the versions in the Orange Box have seperate serial numbers?

yes they give you the HL2 and EP1 serials separately for this purpose exactly.

#37 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

Any one want HL2 and HL2, ep. 1?

I'm giving them away!

They're free!

Anyone?

Bueller?

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#38 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

View PostHuntn, on October 14th 2007, 06:57 PM, said:

The answer: If you buy the game retail, on the install, Steam checks your account and if you all ready have them offers you the ability to give HL2 and HL2:E1 to a friend.

#39 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:02 AM

View Postnobody, on October 14th 2007, 04:15 PM, said:

It didn't take long for me to get really into this one. The storytelling and gameplay are still really good. I just wish everyone wouldn't fawn over Freeman so much - it gets a bit annoying. The engine is starting to show its age a bit (maybe that's just the 'improved' vegetation, which still seems lacking), but that's more than made up for by the great art direction.

Hey, Freeman can't help he's a hero to the human race. :) After extensive city romps, I'm really enjoying the relaxing country views and sub-terranian exploration. Is the vegetation a engine limitation or a programmer choice? I find the colors warm and the textures are really nice overall for a nice environmental feel.

Spoiler
I really like it when Vorti says in his gravely voice something to the effect of "this is the kind of problem that the Free Man is renown for solving quickly. I'll enjoy standing back and watching you work."  Yeah right! :) Not only that but the witty comments continue. I'm loving it.

I can't but help feel that HL2, starting with the original is the greatest computer game adventure of all time. And I never expected the story leap from the original to HL2 as far as what had happened to the Earth. A great decision imo.

Edited by Huntn, 15 October 2007 - 10:08 AM.

#40 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

View PostHuntn, on October 15th 2007, 10:02 AM, said:

Hey, Freeman can't help he's a hero to the human race. :)

I figured out what my beef with this is. It's not so much the effusive praise in itself, but the fact that Freeman is eternally silent. I think this is a good choice for the game overall - keeping you constantly in the first-person POV, and not having the character talk is great for the immersion. The problem comes with the interaction with other characters. When they treat you as a silent character - offhand comments and such - then it works. But when they're lavishing you with attention it just gets weird, since you're not saying anything back. So it's just them saying 'you're so great!', then giving a little awkward smile as you don't/can't respond, then moving along. That and I guess the romantic insinuations with Alyx should be a little less forced.

I can't but help feel that HL2, starting with the original is the greatest computer game adventure of all time. And I never expected the story leap from the original to HL2 as far as what had happened to the Earth. A great decision imo.

It's definitely one of the very best for presentation of a story. There are other games that let you explore a little more, but the highly developed aesthetics and great attention to detail in HL2 make for one of the most satisfying storytelling experiences I've had in gaming.
---